Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-modern feminist destroyed by facts, reason, and logic

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The right may not be as impressed by Peterson when they find out that he's teaching a course on the Bible from an evolutionary psychology POV and not as a practicing Christian.

He's a smart dude, in any event.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
    For it is not wise to ask such questions. - Ecclesiastes 7:10

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I suggest you watch the whole thing. Not only is it intellectually stimulating, but it's also highly entertaining. Unless you're a liberal, in which case you'll likely spend the next 30-minutes squirming uncomfortably in your seat as you watch your ideology fundamentally dismantled:
    So delicious...
    “The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.” D.H. Lawrence

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lao tzu View Post
    Thank you, Captain ... rouge, what are you doing in the piglet's account?
    What was that loa?

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXX HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY!! XXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Taoist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    What was that loa?
    Sorry about that, 05.
    There is no lao tzu

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lao tzu View Post
    Sorry about that, 05.
    No worries, sue.

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXX HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY!! XXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The right may not be as impressed by Peterson when they find out that he's teaching a course on the Bible from an evolutionary psychology POV and not as a practicing Christian.
    Sorry, demanding lockstep thinking is purely a left wing thing these days.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

9. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post

He's a smart dude, in any event.
    Um, is he? One of my favorite commentators was mocking Peterson because he apparently gets very post-modern about 'truth' and 'facts' - quite the opposite of the hard-nosed "facts, reason, and logic" description in the thread title.

In the OP video he's peddling some sort of delusional pseudo-science about how guys need to 'grow up' by being 'affirmed' and that women are 'miserable' if their partners aren't 'strong'. He seems pretty crazy.

I see towards the end of the OP video he argues that any emphasis on "group identity" is terrible (which he utterly bizarrely claims is the similarity between modern trans-activists and Mao's China and thus 'shows' that transgender activism is the 'same philosophy' as what 'killed millions of people')... I wonder if he identifies as having a "Christian" group identity? The guy is nutty.
    Last edited by Starlight; 01-22-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Listening to the OP vid, the guy reminds me of Sam Harris in his level of click-baity disingenuousness in the headline claims followed by back-peddling to a mainstream position when challenged on them combined with feigned outrage that the critics are saying he said something he never technically said (but totally meant to imply in order to click-bait / trigger people), also combined with a strange mix of ignorance and arrogance where he thinks his narrow field can explain everything and supersedes other fields .

Sam Harris, of course, during the heyday of the Bush regime torture program wrote an essay for a general audience titled "In defense of torture", and when critics complained he was giving cover to the war-crimes of the Bush administration Harris responded effectively "well of course I don't endorse torture in general and I think it's a terrible political policy and that Bush regime is totally terrible for doing it, and all I was really saying is there's theoretically one or two hypothetical situations where torture could be okay, and my critics are so awful terrible people for daring to criticize me for the click-baity claim I made that I totally don't stand by. P.S. Neuroscience explains everything, and it's what I did my PhD in, ergo, I know everything, and I will now proceed to make ridiculous claims about unrelated topics."

Peterson seems the same but with gender equality issues. He has the same click-baity "I totally object to the requirement that lecturers be respectful to students and so call them by the name and gender they prefer to be known as!", and then when challenged he backpeddles to "well I would always call students the way they wish to be called because that's just the respectful thing to do, and how dare critics suggest I ever said otherwise! All I was objecting to was being told to do it because it was respectful as opposed to choosing to do it myself because it was respectful. How dare people constantly misrepresent me! P.S Clinical Psychology explains everything, and it's what I study, ergo, I know everything, and I will now proceed to make ridiculous claims about unrelated topics. Also feminists/transgender activists = Chairman Mao, because groups and stuff."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    What was that loa?

Maybe he was saying you made him see red?? Or perhaps you just put him in the pink?
    Last edited by tabibito; 01-22-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbulb View Post
    Listening to the OP vid, the guy reminds me of Sam Harris in his level of click-baity disingenuousness in the headline claims followed by back-peddling to a mainstream position when challenged on them combined with feigned outrage that the critics are saying he said something he never technically said (but totally meant to imply in order to click-bait / trigger people), also combined with a strange mix of ignorance and arrogance where he thinks his narrow field can explain everything and supersedes other fields .

Sam Harris, of course, during the heyday of the Bush regime torture program wrote an essay for a general audience titled "In defense of torture", and when critics complained he was giving cover to the war-crimes of the Bush administration Harris responded effectively "well of course I don't endorse torture in general and I think it's a terrible political policy and that Bush regime is totally terrible for doing it, and all I was really saying is there's theoretically one or two hypothetical situations where torture could be okay, and my critics are so awful terrible people for daring to criticize me for the click-baity claim I made that I totally don't stand by. P.S. Neuroscience explains everything, and it's what I did my PhD in, ergo, I know everything, and I will now proceed to make ridiculous claims about unrelated topics."

Peterson seems the same but with gender equality issues. He has the same click-baity "I totally object to the requirement that lecturers be respectful to students and so call them by the name and gender they prefer to be known as!", and then when challenged he backpeddles to "well I would always call students the way they wish to be called because that's just the respectful thing to do, and how dare critics suggest I ever said otherwise! All I was objecting to was being told to do it because it was respectful as opposed to choosing to do it myself because it was respectful. How dare people constantly misrepresent me! P.S Clinical Psychology explains everything, and it's what I study, ergo, I know everything, and I will now proceed to make ridiculous claims about unrelated topics. Also feminists/transgender activists = Chairman Mao, because groups and stuff."
    Dimbulb: "So what you're saying is..."

Peterson: "No!"

14. Amen MaxVel, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.