Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-modern feminist destroyed by facts, reason, and logic

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Listening to the OP vid, the guy reminds me of Sam Harris in his level of click-baity disingenuousness in the headline claims followed by back-peddling to a mainstream position when challenged on them combined with feigned outrage that the critics are saying he said something he never technically said (but totally meant to imply in order to click-bait / trigger people), also combined with a strange mix of ignorance and arrogance where he thinks his narrow field can explain everything and supersedes other fields .

You, of course, are the epitome of humility.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight
    Sam Harris, of course, during the heyday of the Bush regime torture program wrote an essay for a general audience titled "In defense of torture", and when critics complained he was giving cover to the war-crimes of the Bush administration Harris responded effectively "well of course I don't endorse torture in general and I think it's a terrible political policy and that Bush regime is totally terrible for doing it, and all I was really saying is there's theoretically one or two hypothetical situations where torture could be okay, and my critics are so awful terrible people for daring to criticize me for the click-baity claim I made that I totally don't stand by. P.S. Neuroscience explains everything, and it's what I did my PhD in, ergo, I know everything, and I will now proceed to make ridiculous claims about unrelated topics."

Peterson seems the same but with gender equality issues. He has the same click-baity "I totally object to the requirement that lecturers be respectful to students and so call them by the name and gender they prefer to be known as!",
    Didn't actually listen to what Dr. Peterson said, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight
    and then when challenged he backpeddles to "well I would always call students the way they wish to be called because that's just the respectful thing to do, and how dare critics suggest I ever said otherwise! All I was objecting to was being told to do it because it was respectful as opposed to choosing to do it myself because it was respectful. How dare people constantly misrepresent me! P.S Clinical Psychology explains everything, and it's what I study, ergo, I know everything, and I will now proceed to make ridiculous claims about unrelated topics. Also feminists/transgender activists = Chairman Mao, because groups and stuff."
    Perhaps you should apply for a job with Channel 4?
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

2. Amen RumTumTugger, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well if Starlight is agin' him then I am fer him.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Have you considered that "impressing" you is not a high priority for me?
    That makes two of us, then.
    Now maybe if you responded to the substance of the OP instead of taking issue with a single word in the thread title -- a single word in the thread title! -- then I might be impressed with you.
    I don't get my jollies from watching someone get humiliated, regardless how deserving one is of said humiliation.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just watched the whole video. First, it's incorrect to say that Newman represented feminist thought or that this "interview"/"debate" was point scoring for or against any ideology. She's an idiot and incapable of representing any particular philosophy. Second, I did find a few of Peterson's arguments flawed, like saying common female personality traits are a non-sex related reason for the pay gap or that pronoun-related hate speech laws are a major affront to free speech or have the same driving force as Mao's communism. Otherwise I found him perfectly reasonable.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    [Newman is] an idiot and incapable of representing any particular philosophy.
    You just described, like, every liberal ever.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    pronoun-related hate speech laws are a major affront to free speech
    Criminalizing the expression of a popular political opinion is not a major affront to free speech?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    First, it's incorrect to say that Newman represented feminist thought or that this "interview"/"debate" was point scoring for or against any ideology. She's an idiot and incapable of representing any particular philosophy.
    It's just an interview. People are generally able to make themselves look fairly good in interviews because it is essentially a platform for them to say whatever they wish. Newman at least refrains from fawning like some interviewers are want to do, and has at least gone to the effort of asking a few hard questions and pushing back a tiny bit. Peterson simply backpeddled from the questions and then put forth bizarre statements about Mao's communism etc.

I agree that it's not meaningful or useful to represent this as the OP did as any sort of 'debate' between two ideologies that demonstrates or proves anything. Peterson got through an interview without drooling too much... that's all it was.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbulb View Post
    Peterson got through an interview without drooling too much... that's all it was.
    And yet you couldn't confront his arguments without pulling a Newman and grossly distorting what he actually said.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And yet you couldn't confront his arguments without pulling a Newman and grossly distorting what he actually said.
    not only Jordan Peterson but everyone who disagrees with him(Starlight) on this forum.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    . . . or that pronoun-related hate speech laws are a major affront to free speech or have the same driving force as Mao's communism. . . .
    I absolutely believe that hate speech laws are a major affront to free speech. It is true that they are a bit short of Mao's communism.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?