Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Newton's Apple And Other Myths About Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: Newton's Apple And Other Myths About Science

Ready to demolish some myths about science?

The link can be found here.

-----

What do I think of Ronald Numbers's and Kostas Kampourakis's book published by Harvard University Press? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This is an excellent book looking at a number of claims that have been made about science throughout the centuries. Many of these claims are taught even in textbooks today, but they really don't bear any semblance with reality. Some are complete nonsense. Others have a grain of truth, but they're mixed in with a great deal of error.

I knew the book was going to start off well when it had the first myth being that Christianity held back the progress of science. To give an example of someone postulating the myth, they quote someone and I won't say who he is, but I will say he's a certain unemployed polyamorous prominent internet blogger who's banned from Skepticon. At that point, I knew I was going to like this one.

The book also deals with other myths I found personally interesting such as that Columbus refuted the idea that the Earth is flat or that science and religion have always been at conflict. These are myths that have so permeated our society that it's hard to find people who disagree with them and consider it something that all educated people know. Well, no. A lot of educated people know just the opposite.

Others that caught my attention were the idea that there really is no scientific method. So many people claim to go by one, but there are vast and different fields in the scientific enterprise and no one method works for all of them. Get in a room with ten scientists and ask them to describe the scientific method they use and you'll likely get eleven different opinions.

Another one was that there is not a wide gap between science and pseudoscience. Many ideas have been popular in science history and are pseudoscience today. It's hard to really set out a line on what constitutes real science and what doesn't. Even if you have falsifiability as one, then many end-times speculations and faith healings and such could be considered real science. (I do believe that there are actual miraculous healings, but I think many of the so-called faith healers are frauds.)

Another interesting aspect was a chapter about Paley. Paley in his watch was pointing more to teleology than internal make-up. Darwin only mentioned Paley once in his massive work and even then it was favorable. Much of what we call ID today would not be at all what Paley had in mind.

Other readers will find many other aspects interesting, especially if they're interested in the sciences, but if you're not, those chapters can be confusing. Some are historically enlightening, such as that the launch of Sputnik did not create a battle cry to start upping our science education. I recommend those who are curious to just look at the book on Amazon and see what myths are covered in there and if that is something that is of interest to you.

It's also amazing how many scientists fall for these myths. Many scientists are great at science, but they are not great at history and philosophy and they went through school likely being taught these myths and it wasn't the main focus of their education and they saw no reason to question them. Unfortunately, now they are propogators of those myths and it's up to the historians and those of us interested in science to set the record straight.

This is a very enjoyable read. I often enjoy reading not so much about science itself, but the philosophy and history behind it. Ronald Numbers has had his hand in a number of great books like this and I look forward to more coming.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

What is the name of the book?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      What is the name of the book?

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          This is also the Deeper Waters section just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            Ready to demolish some myths about science?

The link can be found here.

-----

What do I think of Ronald Numbers's and Kostas Kampourakis's book published by Harvard University Press? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This is an excellent book looking at a number of claims that have been made about science throughout the centuries. Many of these claims are taught even in textbooks today, but they really don't bear any semblance with reality. Some are complete nonsense. Others have a grain of truth, but they're mixed in with a great deal of error.

I knew the book was going to start off well when it had the first myth being that Christianity held back the progress of science. To give an example of someone postulating the myth, they quote someone and I won't say who he is, but I will say he's a certain unemployed polyamorous prominent internet blogger who's banned from Skepticon. At that point, I knew I was going to like this one.
            At which point I figure you reacted something like this

Comment

Preview of the book HERE

Comment

Fascinating. I think I need to look for this one.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  Fascinating. I think I need to look for this one.
                  Numbers is a highly regarded historian of science who emphasizes the history of science and religion. He has written extensively on the subject including such works as God and Nature: Historical Essays on the Encounter between Christianity and Science, Science and Christianity in Pulpit and Pew, Galileo Goes to Jail, and Other Myths about Science and Religion[1], The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design[2], and Science and Religion Around the World among others.

I think he would be a great person for Nick to interview for his podcast (if he hasn't already done so).

1. Apparently the forerunner to the book discussed here.

2. I read the earlier edition of this work which was then called The Creationists: The Evolution of Scientific Creationism

Comment