Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 118

Thread: Incense

  1. #11
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,781
    Amen (Given)
    9039
    Amen (Received)
    20878
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Almost everything makes me sneeze. I used to like incense and perfume and stuff like that. But I've got more sensitive as I've gotten older so I can't stand most fragrances things now.
    There is a perfume (I call it old lady's perfume) that some women wear, and wear way too much... when I walk down the isle in Walmart, for example, you can smell it in the air, and eventually you come across the individual wearing it. I have to think they must not have a sense of smell not to be choking on that "fragrance".

    But, then again, I have issues with smells.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  2. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,781
    Amen (Given)
    9039
    Amen (Received)
    20878
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I grew up during a time when most folks burning incense were doing so to cover the odor of the pot they just smoked.
    EGGzackly.... and it became a "OK, there must be pot here, cause there's incense" issue to police.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  4. #13
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    17,519
    Amen (Given)
    12915
    Amen (Received)
    7611
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There is a perfume (I call it old lady's perfume) that some women wear, and wear way too much... when I walk down the isle in Walmart, for example, you can smell it in the air, and eventually you come across the individual wearing it. I have to think they must not have a sense of smell not to be choking on that "fragrance".

    But, then again, I have issues with smells.
    The cashier at the store was wearing fragrance the other day, and I thought it was really strong until a man came up beside me who smelled so strongly of cigarettes that I couldn't smell the perfume anymore.

    I also couldn't breathe.

    Mr. mossy was standing next to me and couldn't smell anything.

    I can smell it when my next door neighbour is sitting outside on her deck smoking. It comes in through the cold air intake on our furnace. I also smell it every night after supper when their little dog goes out for his daily poop.

    My best friend is so sensitive she has to wear a mask in certain places because of perfumes and colognes worn by other people who seem to have dumped the whole bottle on themselves. I'm getting to be that sensitive, too.

    Am particularly sensitive to smoke.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  5. Amen Cow Poke, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  6. #14
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,781
    Amen (Given)
    9039
    Amen (Received)
    20878
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    The cashier at the store was wearing fragrance the other day, and I thought it was really strong until a man came up beside me who smelled so strongly of cigarettes that I couldn't smell the perfume anymore.

    I also couldn't breathe.

    Mr. mossy was standing next to me and couldn't smell anything.

    I can smell it when my next door neighbour is sitting outside on her deck smoking. It comes in through the cold air intake on our furnace. I also smell it every night after supper when their little dog goes out for his daily poop.

    My best friend is so sensitive she has to wear a mask in certain places because of perfumes and colognes worn by other people who seem to have dumped the whole bottle on themselves. I'm getting to be that sensitive, too.

    Am particularly sensitive to smoke.
    And what's even worser - we had a nursery worker several churches ago who was a grandmotherly type, EXCELLENT with babies and children, but she was a smoker. So, she "covered it up" with perfume. The combination made me feel ill. A couple times, she babysat our kids at her house when we would need to be out of town, but we couldn't do that anymore cause we'd have to wash all their clothes and their diaper bags and anything that was in her house.

    I hated not to use her, but it was just so overpowering. Her husband became gravely ill, and she had to stay home to take care of him, so she had to give up her nursery work at the Church. One of those mixed blessing things.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  7. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  8. #15
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,728
    Amen (Given)
    3683
    Amen (Received)
    18581
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    The cashier at the store was wearing fragrance the other day, and I thought it was really strong until a man came up beside me who smelled so strongly of cigarettes that I couldn't smell the perfume anymore.

    I also couldn't breathe.

    Mr. mossy was standing next to me and couldn't smell anything.

    I can smell it when my next door neighbour is sitting outside on her deck smoking. It comes in through the cold air intake on our furnace. I also smell it every night after supper when their little dog goes out for his daily poop.

    My best friend is so sensitive she has to wear a mask in certain places because of perfumes and colognes worn by other people who seem to have dumped the whole bottle on themselves. I'm getting to be that sensitive, too.

    Am particularly sensitive to smoke.
    weird. I have noticed my sense of smell has diminished as I get older.

  9. #16
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    17,519
    Amen (Given)
    12915
    Amen (Received)
    7611
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    weird. I have noticed my sense of smell has diminished as I get older.
    Probably varies with different people.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  10. #17
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,781
    Amen (Given)
    9039
    Amen (Received)
    20878
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    weird. I have noticed my sense of smell has diminished as I get older.
    You reminded me about a new smell I encountered, and I posted it in my smelly thread.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  11. #18
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    38,826
    Amen (Given)
    883
    Amen (Received)
    15371
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There is a perfume (I call it old lady's perfume) that some women wear, and wear way too much... when I walk down the isle in Walmart, for example, you can smell it in the air, and eventually you come across the individual wearing it. I have to think they must not have a sense of smell not to be choking on that "fragrance".

    But, then again, I have issues with smells.
    I'd go over to my mother's and could track her down just by following her perfume trail. By the time I reached the end of the line I would be holding my nose (not because it smelled bad but because it was over powering) and ask her if she had bathed in it. Her angry retort was that she needed it to last all day. I would remind her that a day was only 24 hrs long and she must be thinking of a week.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  12. #19
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    38,826
    Amen (Given)
    883
    Amen (Received)
    15371
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    weird. I have noticed my sense of smell has diminished as I get older.
    As we all know nobody is older than our beloved Ancient of Afternoons so we have proof positive that a lessening of a sense of smell is not age related.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  13. #20
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    38,826
    Amen (Given)
    883
    Amen (Received)
    15371
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And what's even worser - we had a nursery worker several churches ago who was a grandmotherly type, EXCELLENT with babies and children, but she was a smoker. So, she "covered it up" with perfume. The combination made me feel ill. A couple times, she babysat our kids at her house when we would need to be out of town, but we couldn't do that anymore cause we'd have to wash all their clothes and their diaper bags and anything that was in her house.

    I hated not to use her, but it was just so overpowering. Her husband became gravely ill, and she had to stay home to take care of him, so she had to give up her nursery work at the Church. One of those mixed blessing things.
    Back in the late 70s I worked with some Iranians who must have taken a vow to never bathe[1] and would instead splash a real cheap cologne on two or three times per day









    1. Maybe they were pirates in disguise.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •