Incense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    weird. I have noticed my sense of smell has diminished as I get older.
    Probably varies with different people.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You reminded me about a new smell I encountered, and I posted it in my smelly thread.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        There is a perfume (I call it old lady's perfume) that some women wear, and wear way too much... when I walk down the isle in Walmart, for example, you can smell it in the air, and eventually you come across the individual wearing it. I have to think they must not have a sense of smell not to be choking on that "fragrance".

But, then again, I have issues with smells.
        I'd go over to my mother's and could track her down just by following her perfume trail. By the time I reached the end of the line I would be holding my nose (not because it smelled bad but because it was over powering) and ask her if she had bathed in it. Her angry retort was that she needed it to last all day. I would remind her that a day was only 24 hrs long and she must be thinking of a week.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As we all know nobody is older than our beloved Ancient of Afternoons so we have proof positive that a lessening of a sense of smell is not age related.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And what's even worser - we had a nursery worker several churches ago who was a grandmotherly type, EXCELLENT with babies and children, but she was a smoker. So, she "covered it up" with perfume. The combination made me feel ill. A couple times, she babysat our kids at her house when we would need to be out of town, but we couldn't do that anymore cause we'd have to wash all their clothes and their diaper bags and anything that was in her house.

I hated not to use her, but it was just so overpowering. Her husband became gravely ill, and she had to stay home to take care of him, so she had to give up her nursery work at the Church. One of those mixed blessing things.
            Back in the late 70s I worked with some Iranians who must have taken a vow to never bathe[1] and would instead splash a real cheap cologne on two or three times per day

1. Maybe they were pirates in disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Back in the late 70s I worked with some Iranians who must have taken a vow to never bathe[1] and would instead splash a real cheap cologne on two or three times per day

1. Maybe they were pirates in disguise.
              With Indians (India) it's scented oils. When my wife was going through her breast cancer treatments, there was an Indian woman who appeared to be on the same schedule, and whatever "oils" she was wearing would set off a migraine in my wife. And it was kind of "piercing" - a very sharp odor.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I'd go over to my mother's and could track her down just by following her perfume trail. By the time I reached the end of the line I would be holding my nose (not because it smelled bad but because it was over powering) and ask her if she had bathed in it. Her angry retort was that she needed it to last all day. I would remind her that a day was only 24 hrs long and she must be thinking of a week.
                Yeah, it's like "you know that make that in little bottles that you can actually carry in your purse and 'refresh' as needed, no?"

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  I love the stuff.
                  The only time I encounter incense is at church. I'd try burning some at home while I pray, but I'm sure the smoke detectors would riot.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    The only time I encounter incense is at church. I'd try burning some at home while I pray, but I'm sure the smoke detectors would riot.
                    Does the priest wave it throughout the building in a little lantern thing on a chain? Or is it just burning in some fixtures?

Comment

Does the priest wave it throughout the building in a little lantern thing on a chain? Or is it just burning in some fixtures?
                      He has a censer he swings around.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He has a censer he swings around.
                        What's the incense? Is it based at all on the 'recipe' described in Exodus?

Comment

We've used a couple different kinds. Our seminary makes incense, and we're supposed to use that (but had stopped when we got a couple bad batches that smelled awful). I'm not sure exactly what they put in it.

sigpic

Comment

We've used a couple different kinds. Our seminary makes incense, and we're supposed to use that (but had stopped when we got a couple bad batches that smelled awful). I'm not sure exactly what they put in it.
                            I had a seminary professor who loved talking about the incense used in the Temple, and how special the recipe was, that nobody was allowed to make it for use other than in the Temple. He liked talking about how the smell would permeate your clothes, and when you left the Temple, you would smell your sleeve and know where you had been. I had never thought about it that way before.

Comment

I burn incense at home, and the smoke detectors have never noticed. Although I usually use sticks because I can't figure out how to get the censer to work properly.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Probably frankincense mostly, with myrrh and other stuff added.
                                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment