Incense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There is a perfume (I call it old lady's perfume) that some women wear, and wear way too much... when I walk down the isle in Walmart, for example, you can smell it in the air, and eventually you come across the individual wearing it. I have to think they must not have a sense of smell not to be choking on that "fragrance".

But, then again, I have issues with smells.
    Try to understand - when your sense of smell is weak - which is common in older people - it's next to impossible to judge whether or not a scent is too strong. Couple it with a fading memory and the same fragrance can get applied multiple times because they don't recall doing it and can't tell that they have.

Myself, I have to be on top of a fragrance to smell it - I almost never detect perfume and then it is usually fresh or really strong. Now, when it's not so easy to just jump in the shower, I tend to be more nervous about it when I go out. I can see where someone might over compensate because they can't bathe as frequently as they wish and still have to go out. I will probably end up doing that if I haven't already.

I still have a sense of smell but where someone like you can detect a smelly dog from across the yard, I have to actually handle the dog unless he's had it out with a skunk.

I think the movie was Clue where the butler had stepped in dog poo unknowingly and every time someone got near, they reacted to it. To me, it wasn't funny - it was just dumb - because I still can't imagine being able to tell nearly an hour later. A few minutes - okay, I can see that some people could do that - but it kept happening and happening until it just wasn't realistic enough for me to get the joke anymore.

I don't bother with fragrance around the house much - expense - but when I do, I can't have people over (the other reason) because it has to be incredibly strong for me to enjoy it.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, it's like "you know that make that in little bottles that you can actually carry in your purse and 'refresh' as needed, no?"
      Yes, they do - those bottles also break and can be expensive. I'll almost guarantee you've mistaken a broken bottle for over-use. They're better than they used to be, but even as late as the Nineties (the last time I bothered with them much) they were too danged fragile for anything more rugged than a evening clutch.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        The only time I encounter incense is at church. I'd try burning some at home while I pray, but I'm sure the smoke detectors would riot.
        Only if they're so sensitive as to go off when someone was smoking

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Only if they're so sensitive as to go off when someone was smoking
          That was my initial thought, too, but if he means the kind of burning of incense that happens in churches that use censors then yeah, that probably would set off the smoke alarm - the volume is much higher.

Incense cones or sticks won't come close to setting the detectors off, of course.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            The cashier at the store was wearing fragrance the other day, and I thought it was really strong until a man came up beside me who smelled so strongly of cigarettes that I couldn't smell the perfume anymore.

I also couldn't breathe.

Mr. mossy was standing next to me and couldn't smell anything.

I can smell it when my next door neighbour is sitting outside on her deck smoking. It comes in through the cold air intake on our furnace. I also smell it every night after supper when their little dog goes out for his daily poop.

My best friend is so sensitive she has to wear a mask in certain places because of perfumes and colognes worn by other people who seem to have dumped the whole bottle on themselves. I'm getting to be that sensitive, too.

Am particularly sensitive to smoke.
            Sounds like me. One night I woke up freaking out thinking our house was on fire, it turned out some people down the block were having a bonfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              That was my initial thought, too, but if he means the kind of burning of incense that happens in churches that use censors then yeah, that probably would set off the smoke alarm - the volume is much higher.

Incense cones or sticks won't come close to setting the detectors off, of course.
              I dunno - it's amazing how easily something in/on my stove will set the dang things off. Haven't had people smoking in my house.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I had a seminary professor who loved talking about the incense used in the Temple, and how special the recipe was, that nobody was allowed to make it for use other than in the Temple. He liked talking about how the smell would permeate your clothes, and when you left the Temple, you would smell your sleeve and know where you had been. I had never thought about it that way before.
                One of the things I like about the liturgy is that all five senses are engaged. Protestant services seem flat to me now.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  Sounds like me. One night I woke up freaking out thinking our house was on fire, it turned out some people down the block were having a bonfire.

I had to quit going to church functions where there was a firepit or any sort of open fire.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yes, they do - those bottles also break and can be expensive. I'll almost guarantee you've mistaken a broken bottle for over-use.
                    I have?

They're better than they used to be, but even as late as the Nineties (the last time I bothered with them much) they were too danged fragile for anything more rugged than a evening clutch.
                    [ backing away slowly ]
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I had to quit going to church functions where there was a firepit or any sort of open fire.
                      I can definitely understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        I can definitely understand that.

Before we got a/c 3 summers ago I couldn't keep my windows open in the evening or overnight because the entire neighbourhood seemed to be burning fire pits. The a/c solved that problem. Plus made us cooler.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Is that back when they burned the witches and heretics?

Comment

I have?

[ backing away slowly ]
                            Travel perfume bottle breaks in woman's purse. Hilarity ensues.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've never heard of that happening, and if it does (with any regularity) it's not at all what I'm talking about.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What the hell do you women keep in your purses? Rocks? Hammers?

Comment