Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is this guy left wing or right wing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    The legacy of the Confederates are a tragic affair. I have no doubt that there was a lot of great virtues in the soldiers and generals of that war. And that individuals fought for all sorts of reasons. Though it seems to be hard to say that the cause was not slavery. If they fought to protect the states independence, what meddling was it they wanted wanted independence from? Their right to keep capturing free-men and turning them into slaves.

Then on the heel of that came Jim Crow, George Wallice. Black people have been dealt a sour hand throughout this. I think we owe them at least some attention to what these statues mean to them.
    In case you were directing the above directly to me rather than speaking generally, I just wanted to put on the record that I'm in agreement with you, so you're sort of preaching to the choir.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      In case you were directing the above directly to me rather than speaking generally, I just wanted to put on the record that I'm in agreement with you, so you're sort of preaching to the choir.
      Oh yes!

It was mostly just my thoughts on the matter. I wasn't expecting a disagreement. I should have made this clearer.

Also kudos on that avatar, I saw that movie a couple of years ago.

Comment

Also kudos on that avatar, I saw that movie a couple of years ago.
        Yeah, I only caught it a couple years ago too as I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See list. Totally took me by surprise. I was expecting a bit of a melodramatic pre-WWII film, and it turned into something completely different.

Hey, by the way, and since I've got your attention, the reason why you're no longer getting replies to private messages is because your inbox is overflowing. You need to delete some of your older PMs in order to receive more.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Yeah, I only caught it a couple years ago too as I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See list. Totally took me by surprise. I was expecting a bit of a melodramatic pre-WWII film, and it turned into something completely different.

Hey, by the way, and since I've got your attention, the reason why you're no longer getting replies to private messages is because your inbox is overflowing. You need to delete some of your older PMs in order to receive more.
          Oh I know, I didn't discover that until recently. I've emptied it out.

Comment

Oh I know, I didn't discover that until recently. I've emptied it out.
            oh ok. coolness.

Comment

The legacy of the Confederates are a tragic affair. I have no doubt that there was a lot of great virtues in the soldiers and generals of that war. And that individuals fought for all sorts of reasons. Though it seems to be hard to say that the cause was not slavery. If they fought to protect the states independence, what meddling was it they wanted wanted independence from? Their right to keep capturing free-men and turning them into slaves.
              Except that right ("keep capturing free-men and turning them into slaves") was removed back in 1808. Yes, the practice of slavery itself continued, but the act of taking people in Africa and bringing them to the US for the purpose of enslavement was illegal for over half a century before the Civil War broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                Except that right ("keep capturing free-men and turning them into slaves") was removed back in 1808. Yes, the practice of slavery itself continued, but the act of taking people in Africa and bringing them to the US for the purpose of enslavement was illegal for over half a century before the Civil War broke out.
                It was illegal, but still happened on occasion up until the Civil War.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment