Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

SpaceX Completes Falcon Heave Static Fire Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Completes Falcon Heave Static Fire Test

What a beast. Twenty seven rocket engines firing together.

SpaceX tests their new rocket which has twice the launch capacity of any other rocket out there. Almost half of what the Saturn-5 managed to accomplish, but with great focus on being cheap and reusable.

The Falcon Heavy is just a Falcon 9 with two Falcon 9 primary stages strapped on to the sides. Its main job is to provide a temporary product to fill the role contemplated for the BFR, currently under development.

Last edited by Juvenal; 01-25-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Elon Musk's next big product: huge clouds of water vapor.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

so can it get to the moon?

Comment

Supposedly, the test flight will put a Tesla in Mars orbit.

No, i am not joking.

Comment

I wonder how they keep the rocket on the ground under that much thrust.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              I wonder how they keep the rocket on the ground under that much thrust.
              Duct tape.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                so can it get to the moon?
                A couple of adventurous (and not risk-averse) billionaires have commissioned him to send them on a free-return orbit around the moon with it.

So yes. Though its not big enough to complete a proper Lunar Landing in one go like the Saturn-5.

Comment

Flight keeps getting pushed back - was supposed to be about 11am, but they're now saying 3:45, after blowing past several other launch times throughout the day.

Livestream will be here if it happens:

Comment

SpaceX.jpg

wow
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And....
                      "Wow, did you guys see that? That was awesome," said SpaceX commentator Lauren Lyons as applause thundered through mission control.

Loaded with Musk's red Tesla and a mannequin in a spacesuit, the monster rocket's test voyage has captured the world's imagination.

About two minutes into the flight, the two side boosters peeled away and made their way back toward Earth for an upright landing.

Both rockets landed side by side in unison on launchpads, live video images showed.

"And the Falcons have landed," Lyons said.

The third, center booster was to attempt a landing on an ocean platform.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Watching the two boosters come down side by side. I mean, if you can land one, it makes sense that you can land two, at the same time I guess, seeing as they separated together, but the visual was so much more than twice as impressive.

Still haven't heard if the center booster landed successfully.

Comment

(Part of me is so ashamed for wondering if Trump could have been sold on the YUGEST Tesla test drive.)

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            Watching the two boosters come down side by side. I mean, if you can land one, it makes sense that you can land two, at the same time I guess, seeing as they separated together, but the visual was so much more than twice as impressive.

Still haven't heard if the center booster landed successfully.
                            Yeah, i have never seen anything like that. For those who missed it:

Center booster was lost. It apparently didn't have enough of the material used to relight the engines, so only 2/3 relit and it hit the water at 300 MPH. Musk says he's hoping there's video that he can

Comment

This is pretty awesome.

Comment