Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Deeper Waters Podcast 1/27/2018: Nancy Pearcey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Waters Podcast 1/27/2018: Nancy Pearcey

Do you love your body?

The link can be found here.

----

What's coming up? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

We live in an age where people are really enthused about their bodies. You can turn on TV and see many fitness shows. You can go to the library or the DVD store and you can find plenty of fitness videos. Of course, we live in an age also of rampant sexuality which means that we really want to appreciate those bodies all the more.

In this, we have a book come out called*Love Thy Body. Obviously, this is a book about working out and taking care of yourself. No? It isn't? What is it about? It's about in an age where people claim to love their bodies and be fascinated with them, we really don't listen to them and pay attention to them. With our fitness regimes, we treat the body as fundamentally important. With our philosophies, we treat it as highly secondary. Perhaps it could be that we don't really love our bodies.

This plays out in a number of areas in our lives. It plays out in abortion, pre-marital sex and the concept of living together prior to marriage, homosexuality, and transgenderism. (You kind of wish the book could have talked about something relevant to today don't you?) In all of these areas, we deny the truth of the body and put that truth below something else, most notably, our feelings for the most part.

I'm very pleased to have on the author of this book. This is a lady with a razor sharp mind and as I have gone through the book I have often asked, "Why is it that I didn't put two and two together like this before?" The book I really think is a bombshell on the whole culture war and one that should not be ignored. The author is Nancy Pearcey. So who is she?

According to her bio:*

Nancy Pearcey is the author of the newly released*Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality.*She is professor and scholar in residence at Houston Baptist University and editor at large of the*Pearcey Report.*Her earlier books include*The Soul of Science,*Saving Leonardo,Finding Truth,*and two ECPA Gold Medallion Award Winners:*Total Truth*and (coauthored*with Harold Fickett and Chuck Colson)*How Now Shall We Live?*Hailed in*The Economist*as "America's pre-eminent evangelical Protestant female intellectual," Pearcey has spoken at universities such as Princeton, Stanford, USC, and*Dartmouth.*

I hope you'll be listening to this show and I hope this is a book you'll also want to get your hands on. Pearcey gives some powerful arguments that will help with debates you get into concerning homosexuality, transgenderism, abortion, and pre-marital sex. Not only that, she often writes with a pastoral heart on the need for compassion for people struggling with many of these areas. Please be watching and please also consider going on iTunes and leaving behind a positive review of the Deeper Waters Podcast. It's always good to know that you are enjoying the show.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters