Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A great reply --- precambrian rabbits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great reply --- precambrian rabbits.

This article contains a recent, outstanding response by Dr. Tas Walker to a letter-question from an "Agnostic evolutionist" regarding what a so-called Precambrian rabbit would mean to Creation and to Evolution. The response echoes (much more eloquently) much that I have posted here on TWeb over the years.

Full article: https://creation.com/the-fossil-reco...mbrian-rabbits

One section of Walker's response really caught my eye (I've highlighted one area):

"... The absence of such a rabbit does not falsify biblical creation. If such a rabbit was found it would not falsify evolution. Remember that creationists and evolutionists have the same data but they have different ways of interpreting it. You can call it their worldview. Evolutionists do not encounter a problem and exclaim, “Oh, evolution must be wrong because of xxx.” No. They say, “How do we explain xxx?” In other words, the thought that the theory of evolution over millions of years may be falsified is never entertained. Their story simply changes to absorb the new facts."

You may recall this common tactic of "scientific-minded" Evolutionists. I used the "Punctuated Equilibrium" hypothesis to illustrate it. Succinctly, for decades Evolutionists believed and lectured about a "gradual process of evolution". Then the data proved them totally wrong. Could it possibly be that Evolution Theory is wrong?

HECK NO - that's blasphemy!!! So they simply changed the story to absorb the new facts -- facts that they could not make disappear. It's like the liar who, when caught red-handed in a lie, simply changes the story and/or concocts a new lie to hide the previous lies. That is dishonesty personified. Then they justify their actions by saying, "Well, that's how science works." Yeah, right, that happens to also be how LIARS work.

Of course, I know very well that the Evo-Faithful here will dismiss all of this as "More Jorgian nonsense". I leave it to the honest people here to reflect on the facts presented above.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Jorge

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    This article contains a recent, outstanding response by Dr. Tas Walker to a letter-question from an "Agnostic evolutionist" regarding what a so-called Precambrian rabbit would mean to Creation and to Evolution. The response echoes (much more eloquently) much that I have posted here on TWeb over the years.

One section of Walker's response really caught my eye (I've highlighted one area):

"... The absence of such a rabbit does not falsify biblical creation. If such a rabbit was found it would not falsify evolution. Remember that creationists and evolutionists have the same data but they have different ways of interpreting it. You can call it their worldview. Evolutionists do not encounter a problem and exclaim, “Oh, evolution must be wrong because of xxx.” No. They say, “How do we explain xxx?” In other words, the thought that the theory of evolution over millions of years may be falsified is never entertained. Their story simply changes to absorb the new facts."

You may recall this common tactic of "scientific-minded" Evolutionists. I used the "Punctuated Equilibrium" hypothesis to illustrate it. Succinctly, for decades Evolutionists believed and lectured about a "gradual process of evolution". Then the data proved them totally wrong. Could it possibly be that Evolution Theory is wrong?

HECK NO - that's blasphemy!!! So they simply changed the story to absorb the new facts -- facts that they could not make disappear. It's like the liar who, when caught red-handed in a lie, simply changes the story and/or concocts a new lie to hide the previous lies. That is dishonesty personified. Then they justify their actions by saying, "Well, that's how science works." Yeah, right, that happens to also be how LIARS work.

Of course, I know very well that the Evo-Faithful here will dismiss all of this as "More Jorgian nonsense". I leave it to the honest people here to reflect on the facts presented above.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Jorge
    The absense of a pre-cambrian rabbit is not proof of evolution, nor does it say very much at all about YEC. And as the article points out, finding a single modern mammal in an ancient layer would not, on its own, falsify evolution. Any single type of animal having a fossils found in a particular layer is not proof of much of anything Jorge. But the fact NO modern mammals of any kind anywhere are found in layers containing dinosaurs, and that no dinorsaur fossils are found in ANY layers containing modern mammals IS a problem for YEC. And the reason is simple. Very, very large and distinct sets of fossilized life are separated in layers of rock such that the unique members of one set are never found in another (that does not imply there are not some animal types found in multiple sets)

Due to the shape, size, mass, and sheer number of members of these sets, there are no natural criterial known - other than separation by the time - that would result in such a clear and complete separation of these animals fossils as we find them. And the hypothesis these fossils were created by a simulatenous world wide flood is contradicted by this clear separation as it is observed.

the 'nonsense' here is that this clear bit of data can be explained equally well by both points of view.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-27-2018, 10:44 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Hasta la vista, baby.

Jorge
      Going all the way back to Darwin, it was noted that different organisms will evolve at different rates

Source: On The Origin of the Species, First Edition

"Species of different genera and classes have not changed at the same rate, or in the same degree. In the oldest tertiary beds a few living shells may still be found in the midst of a multitude of extinct forms. Falconer has given a striking instance of a similar fact, in an existing crocodile associated with many strange and lost mammals and reptiles in the sub-Himalayan deposits. The Silurian Lingula differs but little from the living species of this genus; whereas most of the other Silurian Molluscs and all the Crustaceans have changed greatly.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

In a later edition (1872) Darwin noted that "If, however, the modified offspring of a species get into some distinct country, or become quickly adapted to some quite new station, in which child and parent do not come into competition, both may continue to exist." This demonstrates that Darwin understood that species could develop rapidly ("become quickly adapted").

So much for the YEC fable that "for decades Evolutionists believed and lectured about a "gradual process of evolution" when we can readily see from the offset the concept of different creatures evolving at different rates including quickly was there for all to see.

Now for your whopper that gradualism has been "proved" to be "totally wrong."

As pointed out to you on multiple occasions
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The problem (well, one problem) with your little rant is that we do have extensive evidence of gradual changes taking place in the fossil record -- specifically among what is known as microfossils like those of the single-celled organisms foraminifera, radiolaria, diatoms and coccolithorids.

As noted by Donald Prothero in his book "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters":

Source: Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters

In addition to their great abundance and diversity, microfossils are ideal for evolutionary studies for several other reasons. Cores of the sediments covering the deep-sea bottom have been taken by rotary drilling and by plunging a long tube into the sea bottom (“piston coring”), and both retrieve an almost continuous record of marine sedimentation over that part of the ocean floor. Some cores span many millions of years with no breaks or gaps what- soever. These cores can be precisely dated by methods such as stable isotope analysis and magnetic stratigraphy, as well as with the biostratigraphy of the microfossil groups themselves. Thus we can trace the history of many microfossil lineages through many millions of years over a single spot in the world, something that is impossible with the much less complete record of shallow marine invertebrates or land vertebrates. Finally, the biogeography of microfossils. Finally, the biogeography of microfossils is relatively simple. Most are confined to a few water masses where the ocean waters are of a given temperature, and these species range over that entire water mass (Prothero and Lazarus 1980).

A couple decades ago two Florida State marine micropaleontologists, Tony Arnold and Bill Parker compiled what is essentially an intact fossil record for a type of free-floating foraminifera that contains no so-called "missing links." The pair have recorded hundreds of speciation events in the history of the foraminifera they have examined which stretches over a nearly 70 million year period and say that transitional forms between various species aren't difficult at all to detect, making tracking ancestor species to their descendants easy to do.

Here is an example covering roughly 6˝ million years
      From a post I made on the pre-crash Tweb concerning Punctuated Equilibrium and Gradualism:
      There are still papers being published on fossil data that shows that gradualistic evolutionary change is still recognized as completely legitimate: Gradual evolution in bacteria: evidence from Bacillus systematic and here is an earlier one: Parallel gradualistic evolution of Ordovician trilobites. And perhaps you might want to read this as well:

Source: Large Punctuational Contribution of Speciation to Evolutionary Divergence at the Molecular Level

A long-standing debate in evolutionary biology concerns whether species diverge gradually through time or by punctuational episodes at the time of speciation. We found that approximately 22% of substitutional changes at the DNA level can be attributed to punctuational evolution, and the remainder accumulates from background gradual divergence.

Source

In fact, Eldredge and Gould went out of their way to repeatedly point out that “Punk Eek” in no way supplanted gradualism but worked alongside of it as Donald Prothero notes in a review of the subject:

Source: PUNCTUATED EQUILIBRIUM AT TWENTY: A PALEONTOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE, pages 42-43

As Gould and Eldredge (1977) pointed out in their five-year retrospective on the debate, it's easy to pick one specific example of either gradualism or punctuation, but the important issue is one of generality. Which pattern is dominant among the species in the fossil record, since both are known to occur? If you sample all the members of a given fauna, which pattern is most common? In the twenty years since the paper, more and more case studies have been generated, and by now a pattern seems to be emerging (Gould, 1992; Stanley, 1992).

It is now clear that among microscopic protistans, gradualism does seem to prevail (Hayami and Ozawa, 1975; Scott, 1982; Arnold, 1983; Malmgren and Kennett, 1981; Malmgren et al., 1983; Wei and Kennett, 1988, on foraminiferans; Kellogg and Hays, 1975; Kellogg, 1983; Lazarus et al., 1985; Lazarus, 1986, on radiolarians, and Sorhannus et al., 1988; Fenner et al., 1989; Sorhannus,1990, on diatoms). As discussed by Gould and Eldredge (1977) and Lazarus (1983), this may be due to the fact that most of these organisms are either asexual clones, or show alternation of of sexual and asexual generations.

Source

So the observations actually reveal that both take place. It isn't an either-or situation but rather a complementary one. So as Prothero notes, Eldredge and Gould were aware of examples of both gradualism and PE, and like everyone else, wondered "which pattern is dominant." ... The only question that remains is which process is the dominant one.

Source: Is evolution gradual or punctuated?: Large Punctuational Contribution of Speciation to Evolutionary Divergence at the Molecular Level

A long-standing debate in evolutionary biology concerns whether species diverge gradually through time or by punctuational episodes at the time of speciation. We found that approximately 22% of substitutional changes at the DNA level can be attributed to punctuational evolution, and the remainder accumulates from background gradual divergence.

Source

Further, the fact that organisms can evolve at different rates is exactly what Darwin predicted:

Source: On The Origin of the Species, First Edition

”Species of different genera and classes have not changed at the same rate, or in the same degree. In the oldest tertiary beds a few living shells may still be found in the midst of a multitude of extinct forms. Falconer has given a striking instance of a similar fact, in an existing crocodile associated with many strange and lost mammals and reptiles in the sub-Himalayan deposits. The Silurian Lingula differs but little from the living species of this genus; whereas most of the other Silurian Molluscs and all the Crustaceans have changed greatly.”

Source

Last edited by rogue06; 01-27-2018, 11:08 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[B][U]Evolutionists do not encounter a problem and exclaim, “Oh, evolution must be wrong because of xxx.” No. They say, “How do we explain xxx?” In other words, the thought that the theory of evolution over millions of years may be falsified is never entertained.
        This is exactly right, and exactly how it should be. When astronomers find a star doing something odd or unexpected (something that happens all the time), their first thought isn't "well, that's it, it's time to throw out relativity - hand me a Nobel, please". They know that relativity has been tested and measured countless times, and the vast majority of the universe behaves as if it's obeying relativity. An odd observation is just that - an odd observation - until there's some explanation of why the countless seemingly mundane observations have gotten things wrong.

In the same way, the age of the earth has been established by many, many methods using data from throughout our solar system. Evolution has been observed and quantified, thousands of genome sequences are consistent with it, etc. A single observation wouldn't be enough to pitch all that in.

I'm sure it comforts you to be able to ascribe all that to some sort of "worldview", given that it avoids having to deal with how science is practiced.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Although TL has already addressed this in part I'd like to tackle the heart of Jorge's OP.

The basis for Jorge's gripe is rooted in his absolute inability to understand that every time a new unexpected discovery is made in science that we don't need to scrap and abandon everything we know about the subject and start all over again from scratch.

It is only reasonable and logical that one should first determine if the new discovery can be worked into the existing paradigm, and if not, can the existing paradigm be altered so as to accommodate it. It is only if both of those fail that it may become necessary to re-examine everything previously understood and that a new explanation/model may be needed.

For example, geologists recently found that a small portion of present day Australia was originally part of what is now North America but they split apart during the breakup of the early supercontinent Columbia (also known as Nuna) roughly some 1.7 billion years ago. Now according to Jorgian Logic™ this should mean that both continental drift and plate tectonics needs to be tossed aside and all of geology needs to be rethought from the ground up. That if it isn't then geologists are merely "concoct[ing] a new lie to hide the previous lies."

Further, as a result of this largely unexpected discovery, long discredited notions such as a hollow and a flat earth should now be regarded as equally valid explanations about the nature of earth. Otherwise it is "dishonesty personified."

Poppycock.

The simple fact is that scientists are making unexpected discoveries in virtually every field of science on a very regular basis. Simply pick up any science related magazine and you're bound to come across a couple being covered (often hyped as "revolutionary" or "ground-breaking").

The point being that Jorge is not complaining that this means they need to disclaim everything known about that field or they're being dishonest. He only reserves that standard for something he objects to.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's like the liar who, when caught red-handed in a lie, simply changes the story and/or concocts a new lie to hide the previous lies. That is dishonesty personified.
            Here's an example of that strategy in action:

Lie #1: "As in the case of Roger DeHart, when he brought materials from SECULAR sources that mentioned problems in Evolution, he ended up being EXPELLED from his long-held job."
            Lie #1, repeated: "DeHart brought articles from Science, Nature, Scientific American and other secular sources. He was EXPELLED nonetheless."
            Lie #1, rerepeated explicitly: "DeHart was EXPELLED and he used secular supplementary materials - period!"

Lie #2, after lie #1 was exposed: "I KNEWthat DeHart had used Of Pandas and People and I never denied that fact."

Yeah, right, that happens to also be how LIARS work.
            would know. It's certainly how works.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Evolutionists do not encounter a problem and exclaim, “Oh, evolution must be wrong because of xxx.” No. They say, “How do we explain xxx?” In other words, the thought that the theory of evolution over millions of years may be falsified is never entertained.
              That's a very hypocritical criticism from some-one who has signed a statement that "no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record".
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                That's a very hypocritical criticism from some-one who has signed a statement that "no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record".
                'Ol Jorge sure has gotten to be a big 'fraidy cat' lately hasn't he?

He just runs up, meows and hisses for a few seconds, the runs off as fast as he can to his hiding place till things die down a bit and he feels safe enough to do it again.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

He just runs up, meows and hisses for a few seconds, the runs off as fast as he can to his hiding place till things die down a bit and he feels safe enough to do it again.

Jim
                  It isn't like he actually engaged anyone in any meaningful way before

Comment

It isn't like he actually engaged anyone in any meaningful way before
                    He sorta used to, a gradual spiral down to this sort of drive-by post mentality he has now.

I guess it sorta goes like this. There is no scientific justification for a YEC point of view. At the same time, he is so convinced the only possible way for the Christian faith in general and the Bible in specific to be true is for his YEC conclusion to also be true that he really can't engage anyone openly, with any sort of objective analysis of the data or ideas presented. To do so would be to collapse his current world view and everything about it - good and bad.

I don't really wish that for him necessarily. At the same time, I can't really believe that this sort of conflicted, hostile position is not in the end bad for him.

Jim

Comment

He sorta used to, a gradual spiral down to this sort of drive-by post mentality he has now.

I guess it sorta goes like this. There is no scientific justification for a YEC point of view. At the same time, he is so convinced the only possible way for the Christian faith in general and the Bible in specific to be true is for his YEC conclusion to also be true that he really can't engage anyone openly, with any sort of objective analysis of the data or ideas presented. To do so would be to collapse his current world view and everything about it - good and bad.

I don't really wish that for him necessarily. At the same time, I can't really believe that this sort of conflicted, hostile position is not in the end bad for him.

Jim
                      He was pretty far down that spiral in 2006 when I joined

Comment

Jim
                        "Afraid"? You know better. It's simply in your nature to be less-than-forthright.

It's just that I finally realized that trying to get any kind of honest exchange with blokes like yourself (and rogue06, Roy, etc ... etc.) had the same chance of success as an old Jewish Rabbi asking for justice from a court in Nazi Germany. Took me a while but there it is.

Jorge

Comment

"Afraid"? You know better. It's simply in your nature to be less-than-forthright.

It's just that I finally realized that trying to get any kind of honest exchange with blokes like yourself (and rogue06, Roy, etc ... etc.) had the same chance of success as an old Jewish Rabbi asking for justice from a court in Nazi Germany. Took me a while but there it is.

Jorge
                          Jorge - that you would even say something like that makes it clear exactly where the systemic 'dishonesty' lies.

Jim

Comment

Jorge - that you would even say something like that makes it clear ...
                            He has no respect for Godwin's law.

A guy like that, you can't trust him. Next thing you know, he'll be buying fake PhDs.

Comment

He was pretty far down that spiral in 2006 when I joined
                              It's the same religious mania behind the treatment Glenn Morton took from his former YEC colleagues. There was once a time when I thought, if you only went high enough in the creationist ecosystem, you'd find the folks who knew they were being dishonest.

Nope. The higher you go, the more convinced they are. Orwell was right.

Comment