Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians & The Changed Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Should the way that another conducts himself be allowed to impact on "my" own walk?
    Serving in a church full of pew-warmers puts a person in a massive mission field.
    My first reaction if a church is so fallen away that it is viewed as a mission field is the current church leadership should be dismissed from office for gross incompetence and the church closed.

My second reaction based on my experience in churches is treating a church as a mission field will result in a church split. As people changed from pew warmers to active believers, they will have different expectations from the community. Eventually this will cause conflict with the maintain the status quo crowd. Someday the church won't be big enough for both and the split occurs. Sometime later, the remnant in the church throw in the towel and close it. Except for the closed part, I lived through this one.

I would only try this if I was the senior pastor of that church or I had a really clear message from God that is what He wants.

Question though: if a church is really that fallen away, is the pain of trying to revive it better than letting it peacefully die? Seeing the sentence makes me realize the answer is yes. Maybe I need to deal with my pain aversion.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      My first reaction if a church is so fallen away that it is viewed as a mission field is the current church leadership should be dismissed from office for gross incompetence and the church closed.
      It's been done. Not without a few refugees being sent to churches with a less corrosive influence though. The mission field approach is the last ditch attempt to prevent that outcome.

My second reaction based on my experience in churches is treating a church as a mission field will result in a church split. As people changed from pew warmers to active believers, they will have different expectations from the community. Eventually this will cause conflict with the maintain the status quo crowd. Someday the church won't be big enough for both and the split occurs. Sometime later, the remnant in the church throw in the towel and close it. Except for the closed part, I lived through this one.
      It's a better course than allowing everyone to go down with the ship. Remonstrant's comment about separation is apropos but incomplete - sometimes a person is called upon to persevere until he gets the royal order of the boot. The difficulty lies in assessing which approach is appropriate for the circumstances under review.

A church which refuses sound teaching will not for long tolerate its presence - but members who do welcome such teachings will not stay when the teacher is ejected. (again, it's been done.) With the refugees safely out of the line of fire, the church will be permitted to self destruct. (and yet again, it's been done.)

I would only try this if I was the senior pastor of that church or I had a really clear message from God that is what He wants.
      It would seem from your comments that he has done just that. Asking to be given something by way of confirmation is an approved action.

Question though: if a church is really that fallen away, is the pain of trying to revive it better than letting it peacefully die? Seeing the sentence makes me realize the answer is yes. Maybe I need to deal with my pain aversion.
      Yup. There might be one or three who are simply overwhelmed by the problems. Viewing such congregations (and betimes perhaps, entire denominations) as mission fields prevents tossing the babies out with the bath-water.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        Agreed! But if the local congregation has that authority, they've probably accepted the leadership "having itching ears", hearing what they want to hear. If the denomination or some presbytery has the authority, they probably condone such nonsense.

And that can be a GOOD thing, yes? Kind of dividing the sheep and the goats?

We have several churches in our area who seem to have "a form of godliness but deny the power thereof". In some cases, it's just a social group where some local politicians have their "membership" so they can promote themselves as "a member of XYZ church". These churches, however, just in the short time I've been here, seem to be dying a natural death. With no evangelism or outreach, they've pretty much sealed their fate with each successive funeral.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          This is where confession to a priest helps. The priest, when told of these private struggles, can give advice beyond "keep doing what you're doing."
          You got therefore before me :)

The advantage of knowing there is a priest one can go to, is that the priest is, by virtue of his profession, a sort of “official other”; it is his “job” to be able to perceive things about one that one might have missed. A fellow-layman might be tempted to be too kind, or might lack the ability to diagnose problems.

Comment