Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: The Concept of Privilege

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    This is interesting...could you give an example of one of these advantages?
    • I've actually given several. In a divorce proceeding with children involved, there is an element of "female advantage" that occurs in custody decisions. The woman is almost always automatically preferred by the courts as the primary parent, and the man has to make the case that they are just as capable and entitled to be awarded custody or joint custody. Some of this is softening a bit, but not everywhere and not a lot.
    • I gave the example of studies that show that talent scouts, in recruiting players, have been shown to have a bias towards black athletes, even when the skills can be shown to be demonstrably equal.
    • Affirmative action was a systemic/legal structure that conferred a level of advantage on minorities in an attempt to level the playing field. In effect, what it did was create a form of reverse discrimination.

In general, if you looked at all of the systemic/cultural advantages, white tends to see more than black, male more than female, etc. But it is by no means universal: there are examples of advantages that accrue to other genders/races/ethnicities, etc. And because advantages tend to more frequently benefit white males does not mean it equally benefits ALL white males. A white man in a manufacturing job who has never completed a resume is not going to benefit from the implicit bias that has been shown to apply to resume pre-screening.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    • I've actually given several. In a divorce proceeding with children involved, there is an element of "female advantage" that occurs in custody decisions. The woman is almost always automatically preferred by the courts as the primary parent, and the man has to make the case that they are just as capable and entitled to be awarded custody or joint custody. Some of this is softening a bit, but not everywhere and not a lot.
    • I gave the example of studies that show that talent scouts, in recruiting players, have been shown to have a bias towards black athletes, even when the skills can be shown to be demonstrably equal.
    • Affirmative action was a systemic/legal structure that conferred a level of advantage on minorities in an attempt to level the playing field. In effect, what it did was create a form of reverse discrimination.

In general, if you looked at all of the systemic/cultural advantages, white tends to see more than black, male more than female, etc. But it is by no means universal: there are examples of advantages that accrue to other genders/races/ethnicities, etc. And because advantages tend to more frequently benefit white males does not mean it equally benefits ALL white males. A white man in a manufacturing job who has never completed a resume is not going to benefit from the implicit bias that has been shown to apply to resume pre-screening.
    Ok, thanks. I was just curious what you meant.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    You don't know what the genetic fallacy is (which is probably why you yourself use it so often). The genetic fallacy is when you reject (or accept) a claim based on its origin rather than the argument being made. I haven't rejected the claim. Again, to the contrary, I indicated that he may be right.

"You don't know what the genetic fallacy is"
    which is probably why you are using it here. You indicated that prof. Zuckerman “may be right” preceded by negative references to him as: “the same anti-Christian, atheist advocate Phil Zuckerman, author of Atheism and secularity, Society without God, Faith no more, and contributor to The Cambridge Companion to Atheism”? If you consider him to be right why suggest that he is biased?

Ok, so no, he doesn't. Got it. That's what I thought.
    You did NOT support your implication that “figuring in the centuries of Christian influence on those Scandinavian nations” explains secular Norway topping the list of nations in the UN Human Development Index. This would be difficult to do given that the highly Christian USA is one of the most violent and inequitable nations in the developed world and features well down the IHDI as a consequence.
    Last edited by Tassman; 02-06-2018 at 04:13 AM.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

4. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.