Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Intel votes to release FISA memo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Uh-huh, sure, that's the reason.

Meanwhile, Nunes is proceeding with his investigation like a pitbull and has threatened subpoenas if people don't voluntarily cooperate.
    Yes - I've been watching. It's quite the spectacle.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      I appreciate the difficulty in distinguishing foreign propaganda from our home grown varieties, particularly as one feeds off the other ...
      Devin Nunes asked Russian bots to help make an article discrediting the Russia investigation 'go viral'

You can't make this stuff up.

Comment

• Seemed more like a stupid joke than anything serious to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMD View Post
          Seemed more like a stupid joke than anything serious to me.
          Of course it was a joke. That lao tzu tries to make it seem like Nunes was serious is deceptive:

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 3.13.38 PM.jpg
          https://twitter.com/DevinNunes/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

The line "If you're not a Russian Bot then you will become one if you retweet" makes it pretty clear what his intent is, which is that Russian bots really aren't needed to spread stuff across social media, which is also the point of the article he referenced which describes how the mainstream media has willfully and without the aid of Russian bots propagated a number of Trump/Russia conspiracy theories while ignoring any facts and evidence that don't support their narrative:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/21/...racy-theories/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Maybe you just need break from conspiracy theories. Sad!
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMD View Post
              Seemed more like a stupid joke than anything serious to me.
              That's the point.

Nunes is the head of the permanent select committee investigating those bots, under fire for not taking the investigation seriously.

Memo to Nunes.

Comment

Of course it was a joke. That lao tzu tries to make it seem like Nunes was serious is deceptive:
                Far be it from me to ever suggest Nunes is serious.

The line "If you're not a Russian Bot then you will become one if you retweet" makes it pretty clear what his intent is, which is that Russian bots really aren't needed to spread stuff across social media, which is also the point of the article he referenced which describes how the mainstream media has willfully and without the aid of Russian bots propagated a number of Trump/Russia conspiracy theories while ignoring any facts and evidence that don't support their narrative:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/21/...racy-theories/
                Nunes' intent is to stymie any investigation into Russian interference, this time in response to Twitter deactivating suspected Russian bot accounts. The Federalist piece is similarly as long on purported bot conspiracy theories as it is short on specifics, with the minor exception of counterfactuals and smears.

It's concerning that the head of the House Select Committee believes such jokes are appropriate. He has remade his committee into a punchline.

Fortunately, there are multiple committees investigating the issue.

And Mueller.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  Nunes' intent is to stymie any investigation into Russian interference...
                  BS

Comment

• The rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper:

Source: Yet another way Obama’s spies apparently exploited the Trump ‘dossier’

The much-hyped Obama intelligence report that determined “Vladimir Putin ordered” Hillary Clinton’s campaign emails hacked and leaked “to help Trump’s chances of victory” has been accepted as gospel among DC punditry and given the investigations besieging the Trump presidency their legs. To date, no evidence has publicly emerged to corroborate the report, and the reason may have a lot to do with that sketchy dossier bought and paid for by Clinton.

Suspiciously, Barack Obama’s Intelligence Community Assessment matches the main allegations leveled by the Clinton-paid dossier on Trump, which wormed its way into intelligence channels, in addition to the FBI, Justice Department and State Department, during the 2016 campaign.

In fact, the shady dossier makes exactly the same claim — that Putin personally “ordered” the cyberattacks on the Clinton campaign and leaked embarrassing emails to “bolster Trump,” as part of “an aggressive Trump support operation.” Like Obama’s ICA, Clinton’s dossier provides no concrete evidence to back up the claim.

After learning Obama Justice and FBI officials relied heavily on unsubstantiated rumors in the dossier to wiretap a Trump adviser during the election, congressional leaders now suspect the dossier also informed Obama intelligence officials who compiled the ICA.

The report was released Jan. 6, 2017 — the same day intelligence officials attached a written summary of the dossier to a highly classified Russia briefing they gave Obama about the dossier, and the day after Obama held a secret White House meeting to discuss the dossier with his national-security adviser and FBI director.

Staff investigators for GOP Rep. Devin Nunes’ intelligence committee, for one, are now going over “every word” of the ICA — including classified footnotes — to see if any of the analysis was pre-cooked based on the dossier.

[…]

The Defense Intelligence Agency, Homeland Security, State Department’s intelligence bureau and other agencies with relevant expertise on Russia were excluded, in violation of normal rules for drafting such assessments. And in another departure from custom, the report is missing any dissenting views or an annex with evaluations of the conclusions from outside reviewers.

US intel veterans suspect the administration “manipulated” the process to reach a “predetermined political conclusion” in order to delegitimize Trump.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/yet-an...trump-dossier/

© Copyright Original Source

But don't worry, kids, this is just a smokescreen to distract from fact that Trump totally colluded with Russia!
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• As much as liberals don't want to admit it, the Democrat response was a flop... oh, and this isn't just going to go away:

Source: Jeff Sessions Affirms Inspector General Review of FISA Court Abuse by Dept. of Justice…

Attorney General Sessions affirms the FISA court abuse by the DOJ and FBI will indeed be investigated and prosecuted and directed attention to Inspector General Michael Horowitz.

[...]

AG Sessions affirms, IG Horowitz is NOT limited in scope. Horowitz is investigating *all* avenues of politicization within the DOJ and FBI and abuse therein; this includes FISA abuse.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...pt-of-justice/

But according to the article, this is not news because Session's justice department has been pursuing a number of leads since at least early-January, but it is Sessions's stated policy not to comment on ongoing investigations, which is probably why we haven't heard much about this (that and the mainstream media's studious indifference to this scandal). However, we can judge by the explosive revelations contained in the Nunes and Graham/Grassley memos and the Democrat party's utter failure to substantively counter the facts that we can be sure this thing has teeth. And there are rumors that Nunes has other memos up his sleeve that will be released over time.

This isn't over, folks, not by a long shot.

Comment

Uh-huh, sure, that's the reason.

Meanwhile, Nunes is proceeding with his investigation like a pitbull and has threatened subpoenas if people don't voluntarily cooperate.
                        Yes, It was great to see how Nunes and the republicans are demanding answers from the likes of Bannon and Hope Hicks. They are supposed to be investigating, i.e. getting answers, not aiding in the obstruction. It's a good bet that Nunes, who was part of the Trump transition team, is himself guilty and is working feverishly in an effort to protect his own butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          It's a good bet that Nunes, who was part of the Trump transition team, is himself guilty and is working feverishly in an effort to protect his own butt.

Comment

As much as liberals don't want to admit it, the Democrat response was a flop... oh, and this isn't just going to go away:

Source: Jeff Sessions Affirms Inspector General Review of FISA Court Abuse by Dept. of Justice…

Attorney General Sessions affirms the FISA court abuse by the DOJ and FBI will indeed be investigated and prosecuted and directed attention to Inspector General Michael Horowitz.

[...]

AG Sessions affirms, IG Horowitz is NOT limited in scope. Horowitz is investigating *all* avenues of politicization within the DOJ and FBI and abuse therein; this includes FISA abuse.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...pt-of-justice/

But according to the article, this is not news because Session's justice department has been pursuing a number of leads since at least early-January, but it is Sessions's stated policy not to comment on ongoing investigations, which is probably why we haven't heard much about this (that and the mainstream media's studious indifference to this scandal). However, we can judge by the explosive revelations contained in the Nunes and Graham/Grassley memos and the Democrat party's utter failure to substantively counter the facts that we can be sure this thing has teeth. And there are rumors that Nunes has other memos up his sleeve that will be released over time.

This isn't over, folks, not by a long shot.
                            Also, take a look at the expression on Session's face just before he makes the announcement:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 11.01.09 AM.jpg

That's not the face of a guy who's messing around.

Comment

• Sounds like McCabe may be in some piping hot water.

Source: Andrew McCabe, Ex-Deputy Director of F.B.I., Will Be Faulted for Leaks

A Justice Department review is expected to criticize the former F.B.I. deputy director, Andrew G. McCabe, for authorizing the disclosure of information about a continuing investigation to journalists, according to four people familiar with the inquiry.

Such a damning report would give President Trump new ammunition to criticize Mr. McCabe, who is at the center of Mr. Trump’s theory that “deep state” actors inside the F.B.I. have been working to sabotage his presidency. But Mr. McCabe’s disclosures to the news media do not fit neatly into that assumption: They contributed to a negative article about Hillary Clinton and the Obama administration’s Justice Department — not Mr. Trump.

The department’s inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, has zeroed in on disclosures to The Wall Street Journal as part of a wide-ranging investigation into, among other things, how the F.B.I. approached the 2016 inquiry into Mrs. Clinton’s handling of classified information. Mr. Horowitz has said he expects to release a report this month or next.

Mr. McCabe, under pressure from the F.B.I. director, Christopher A. Wray, stepped down as the deputy director in late January amid concerns over the coming report.

The findings have potentially serious ramifications for the F.B.I., which is in the middle of a special counsel investigation into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia. Though the report is not expected to focus on that, some of the same agents — including Mr. McCabe — handled both the Russia case and the Clinton inquiry. A report that questions the judgment of those agents would give fodder for Mr. Trump and his supporters to step up their attacks on the F.B.I.

[...]

In October 2016, The Wall Street Journal revealed a dispute between F.B.I. and Justice Department officials over how to proceed in an investigation into the financial dealings of the Clinton family’s foundation. The article revealed a closed-door meeting during which senior Justice Department officials were dismissive of the evidence and declined to authorize subpoenas or grand jury activity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/u...T.nav=top-news

That last paragraph there is a doozy. It sure sounds like Obama's Justice Department was eager to quash any investigation into Hillary's dirty-dealings. It's probably less a matter of what they were afraid they would find and more they a matter of knew exactly what they would find.

Although we need to be careful since this is the New York Times, and have don't have the best reputation, especially when it comes to anonymous sources.

Comment

• This is too long and complex to easily summarize, but the short version is that AG Sessions may be a lot further ahead in the game than we realize:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ecial-counsel/

If this analysis is correct, it sounds like the DOJ has been working closely with a prosecutor for almost year and building a case against Obama and his gang.

Comment