Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Intel votes to release FISA memo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I am not finding a report that he was fired. Apparently he has stepped down to a lesser position, hoping to hang in until he can get to his retirement date. Where is this report that he was fired?
    It's looking like he was allowed to step down or else be fired. NBC is saying that his boss, FBI Director Chris Wray, sent a memo to bureau employees that McCabe's decision to step aside was a direct result of what is contained in the inspector general report.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      There is this from Guy Benson. I've encountered explicit "safe to say he was 'removed'" language, but it all seems to trace back to Fox News.
      There is no question that he has left his post - and some say voluntarily and others say forced. But I am not finding any confirmation that he was "fired." Fired usually means he has lost employment with that company/agency. As far as I know, he is still employed, but not a deputy director. He has essentially been demoted. Is anyone finding something else?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It's looking like he was allowed to step down or else be fired. NBC is saying that his boss, FBI Director Chris Wray, sent a memo to bureau employees that McCabe's decision to step aside was a direct result of what is contained in the inspector general report.
        That is what I understand, that he has stepped down (been demoted). It is not yet clear to me from the reporting if it was voluntary or forced.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I am not finding any confirmation that he was "fired."
          "Removed" is clearly a euphemism for fired.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "Removed" is clearly a euphemism for fired.
            There is a distinction between being fired and being demoted (or self-demoting), AFAIAC.

Comment

Please don't say "carping." It just makes me look bad.
              Then you really don't want to know the way the use the word "carp" in Splatoon 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Then you really don't want to know the way the use the word "carp" in Splatoon 2.

JK

Comment

JK
                  "Oh carp! I've been splatted"!

Comment

There is a distinction between being fired and being demoted (or self-demoting), AFAIAC.
                    He wasn't demoted, he was removed.

Like I said, this sounds like a "Why did you leave your last job?" "It didn't seem right to stick around after they fired me" scenario.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      He wasn't demoted, he was removed.

Like I said, this sounds like a "Why did you leave your last job?" "It didn't seem right to stick around after they fired me" scenario.
                      If you hold a position, and are given a lesser position but still work for the agency, that is, by definition, a demotion. As far as I can tell, McCabe is still employed by the FBI, in a lesser position. If he is forced out of the FBI entirely, he will be "fired." That's how I have always understood those terms, and how they have been used in any management position I have ever held. If you use them differently...

Comment

If you hold a position, and are given a lesser position but still work for the agency, that is, by definition, a demotion.
                        But many times it's a move calculated to cause that person to go elsewhere, while still providing him a position from which to move. It's much easier to get a job when you have a job.

As far as I can tell, McCabe is still employed by the FBI, in a lesser position. If he is forced out of the FBI entirely, he will be "fired." That's how I have always understood those terms, and how they have been used in any management position I have ever held. If you use them differently...
                        Actually....

Andrew McCabe is leaving his post as the No. 2 FBI official after coming under withering criticism from President Donald Trump, three people familiar with the development said Monday.

McCabe will go on "terminal leave," meaning he will stay on the payroll until his retirement in March, a former colleague said.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          But many times it's a move calculated to cause that person to go elsewhere, while still providing him a position from which to move. It's much easier to get a job when you have a job.

Actually....

Andrew McCabe is leaving his post as the No. 2 FBI official after coming under withering criticism from President Donald Trump, three people familiar with the development said Monday.

McCabe will go on "terminal leave," meaning he will stay on the payroll until his retirement in March, a former colleague said.
                          Yep. Not a lesser position - he's just turned over his duties and will stay on leave until his retirement date.

When my dad got forced out of his job as a teacher (cost-cutting move), he had so much time saved up that he stepped down in November, and did't retire until June.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yep. Not a lesser position - he's just turned over his duties and will stay on leave until his retirement date.

When my dad got forced out of his job as a teacher (cost-cutting move), he had so much time saved up that he stepped down in November, and did't retire until June.
                            When I was let go from my gas compression company (they got bought out by a huge conglomerate) I didn't get demoted, but I got a "go away" package that included FOUR MONTHS in my current position with no duties, and no requirement to show up at the office other than to train my replacement, of which there wasn't one.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I was let go from my gas compression company (they got bought out by a huge conglomerate) I didn't get demoted, but I got a "go away" package that included FOUR MONTHS in my current position with no duties, and no requirement to show up at the office other than to train my replacement, of which there wasn't one.
                              When I got fired from a job where there was a "hostile takeover" they didn't fire me. They 'eliminated my position' and had to lay me off permanently.

Comment

That's new info. I had not seen the "terminal leave" part. McCabe had said for some time that his goal was to stick it out until he was eligible for retirement with full benefits, which happens in March. If he were truly fired, those would be off the table. It sounds like he and the powers-that-be struck a compromise which lets him keep his benefits and be out of the way.

Comment