Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Intel votes to release FISA memo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    When I got fired from a job where there was a "hostile takeover" they didn't fire me. They 'eliminated my position' and had to lay me off permanently.
    Yeah - that has always struck me as an odd thing. Fired, to me, is fired. But the term "layed-off" is used when the reason for the termination is on the company side rather than the employee side. In some states, that difference actually has legal ramifications.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

When I got fired from a job where there was a "hostile takeover" they didn't fire me. They 'eliminated my position' and had to lay me off permanently.
      Mine was fun -- I was really needing to get back into fulltime Church ministry, so the timing was great. My position was eliminated, though they didn't call it that, and I the four months they kept me on was at "time and a half". They had JUST granted me LTIP (Long Term Incentive Plan - essentially company stock) that vested over 3 years. That was intended to keep me in my position. There was a clause in the LTIP contract that IF I should be terminated against my will, the plan would vest fully and immediately, so it was quite a blessing!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Yeah - that has always struck me as an odd thing. Fired, to me, is fired. But the term "layed-off" is used when the reason for the termination is on the company side rather than the employee side. In some states, that difference actually has legal ramifications.
        In the UK, it's called a "redundancy".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's new info. I had not seen the "terminal leave" part. McCabe had said for some time that his goal was to stick it out until he was eligible for retirement with full benefits, which happens in March. If he were truly fired, those would be off the table. It sounds like he and the powers-that-be struck a compromise which lets him keep his benefits and be out of the way.
          Yes, he was "fired", but he gets to keep his retirement - that's what this is all about. It happens a lot.

Comment

Yeah if you are fired then they can deny you unemployment. It also opens them up for a lawsuit if you can claim they did so unfairly. Companies usually try to make parting of ways amiable unless the employee did something especially egregious. In my case the new owners did not like me because I was friends with the old owners so they wanted to get rid of me. But they had to do it in a way that I couldn't come back at them with. So they didn't fire me, they "eliminated my position" and no longer had a place for me.

Comment

Yeah if you are fired then they can deny you unemployment. It also opens them up for a lawsuit if you can claim they did so unfairly. Companies usually try to make parting of ways amiable unless the employee did something especially egregious. In my case the new owners did not like me because I was friends with the old owners so they wanted to get rid of me. But they had to do it in a way that I couldn't come back at them with. So they didn't fire me, they "eliminated my position" and no longer had a place for me.
              I worked for a guy that did that, for a bit. If you were friends with someone he didn't like, you went on his poop list. His wife was my boss and we had a significant falling out. I was seriously on his poop list. Unfortunately for him, I was also the only one on the team that understood a major new business segment and controlled 1/3 of his customer base with no non-compete. I know I would never poach customers if I left, but HE didn't know that, and I never disabused him of the notion. I road it out until he retired, and things got better. Then I moved laterally to another company and finally started my own. Influencing a companies social/business policies is nice. Being able to direct them is nicer!
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I worked for a guy that did that, for a bit. If you were friends with someone he didn't like, you went on his poop list. His wife was my boss and we had a significant falling out. I was seriously on his poop list. Unfortunately for him, I was also the only one on the team that understood a major new business segment and controlled 1/3 of his customer base with no non-compete. I know I would never poach customers if I left, but HE didn't know that, and I never disabused him of the notion. I road it out until he retired, and things got better. Then I moved laterally to another company and finally started my own. Influencing a companies social/business policies is nice. Being able to direct them is nicer!
                After I got 'fired' I used the opportunity to go back to college and learn a different trade. It all worked out for the best. (That was the manufacturing job I mentioned earlier. then after college I moved into sales and marketing as a graphic designer)

Comment

After I got 'fired' I used the opportunity to go back to college and learn a different trade. It all worked out for the best. (That was the manufacturing job I mentioned earlier. then after college I moved into sales and marketing as a graphic designer)
                  Wish I had known THAT earlier. I just had to back-fill a graphic designer position.

Of course, that would have had you working for a heathen...

Comment

Wish I had known THAT earlier. I just had to back-fill a graphic designer position.

Of course, that would have had you working for a heathen...
                    Well now I work in Litigation Support at a law firm.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yes, he was "fired", but he gets to keep his retirement - that's what this is all about. It happens a lot.
                      I wonder if the deal was "Leave now, and you'll be allowed to keep your pension; otherwise..."
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Well now I work in Litigation Support at a law firm.
                        Not a lot of use to me. I run a contractless-business.

Comment

Not a lot of use to me. I run a contractless-business.
                          Yeah but instead of working for a Heathen, I actually work for the Devil!

Comment

Yeah but instead of working for a Heathen, I actually work for the Devil!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I wonder if the deal was "Leave now, and you'll be allowed to keep your pension; otherwise..."
                              That's very common, so, yeah, I'd suspect so. Particularly when there's a pension or retirement plan that has certain hooks, a company or organization sees themselves as being compassionate by allowing the person to resign or leave or retire instead of being fired. As well, it leaves that guy better enabled to do speeches or consulting or other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                That's very common, so, yeah, I'd suspect so. Particularly when there's a pension or retirement plan that has certain hooks, a company or organization sees themselves as being compassionate by allowing the person to resign or leave or retire instead of being fired. As well, it leaves that guy better enabled to do speeches or consulting or other stuff.
                                I keep trying to fire rogue06 but it doesn't seem to take.

Comment