Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have Christians really faced the problems. . .

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    My opinion is that unless there are two witnesses then you cannot condemn. So it makes sense to be skeptical.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    My opinion is that unless there are two witnesses then you cannot condemn. So it makes sense to be skeptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Yep.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    The recent sentencing of Larry Nassar showed that multiple people, from a variety of institutions were notified of the molestation. But (almost) no one moved put a stop to it.

I think it unlikely that any of those people approved of, or thought it acceptable.

The Catholic Church scandals hit in full force in the late nineties, and the Church is still reeling from the fallout. But it is worth noting that the very things the Catholic Church did wrong are the things that multiple institutions are doing today, after the example of how not to handle the allegations.

We have had the scandals hit sports, (Penn State Paterno/Sandusky scandal and Nassar), doctors (gynecologists and other doctors), teachers and education, Catholic and Protestant churches, etc. And one thing I notice is the number of times the reaction is the same, disbelief and sweeping aside the allegations made against someone who is trusted and respected; it seems to me to be a universal human reaction to evil. People "like me" are incapable of doing the things I cannot contemplate doing.

Any thoughts?
    In practice, the alternative seems to be, to see paedophiles everywhere, to trash the reputations of the defenceless dead for no good reason, or to have something along the lines of a “satanic panic”. Combine this with a debased public taste, a salacious and none-too-truthful media, and a love of flinging filth at “the establishment”, and one has a very debased and nasty culture, that can hardly be called a fit judge of such accusations. These accusations feed the chaotic and destructive nihilism that seems to be so prominent nowadays.

Such accusations bring out some of the nastiest aspects of human nature - kicking “the establishment” (or persons associated with it) while it is down, feeds people’s self-righteousness: “O God, I give Thee thanks, that, unlike that scumbag over there, I am not a paedo”. It’s a way of avenging oneself on those who threaten one’s ego by being better or greater than oneself, I think.

I have become very sceptical of allegations of sexual misconduct - they are a very convenient weapon for destroying people’s character. And it is very convenient, that they so often “come to light” only long after the alleged incident or incidents. The gravity of the accusation fully justifies scepticism, IMO. And the burden of proof must never be shifted on to the accused, whose right to his or her good name must be allowed to remain intact until the accusation is proved beyond all reasonable doubt.