Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have Christians really faced the problems. . .

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Have Christians really faced the problems. . .

The recent sentencing of Larry Nassar showed that multiple people, from a variety of institutions were notified of the molestation. But (almost) no one moved put a stop to it.

I think it unlikely that any of those people approved of, or thought it acceptable.

The Catholic Church scandals hit in full force in the late nineties, and the Church is still reeling from the fallout. But it is worth noting that the very things the Catholic Church did wrong are the things that multiple institutions are doing today, after the example of how not to handle the allegations.

We have had the scandals hit sports, (Penn State Paterno/Sandusky scandal and Nassar), doctors (gynecologists and other doctors), teachers and education, Catholic and Protestant churches, etc. And one thing I notice is the number of times the reaction is the same, disbelief and sweeping aside the allegations made against someone who is trusted and respected; it seems to me to be a universal human reaction to evil. People "like me" are incapable of doing the things I cannot contemplate doing.

Any thoughts?

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    The recent sentencing of Larry Nassar showed that multiple people, from a variety of institutions were notified of the molestation. But (almost) no one moved put a stop to it.

I think it unlikely that any of those people approved of, or thought it acceptable.

The Catholic Church scandals hit in full force in the late nineties, and the Church is still reeling from the fallout. But it is worth noting that the very things the Catholic Church did wrong are the things that multiple institutions are doing today, after the example of how not to handle the allegations.

We have had the scandals hit sports, (Penn State Paterno/Sandusky scandal and Nassar), doctors (gynecologists and other doctors), teachers and education, Catholic and Protestant churches, etc. And one thing I notice is the number of times the reaction is the same, disbelief and sweeping aside the allegations made against someone who is trusted and respected; it seems to me to be a universal human reaction to evil. People "like me" are incapable of doing the things I cannot contemplate doing.

Any thoughts?
    Honestly, these types of things really get to me and make me question my faith. I know logically that we are all fallen creatures and that we all need a savior, but emotionally it can get rough.

I have seen some of the most hateful things proclaimed in the name of Christianity. From my experience, this is the top cause for people that I know to reject the faith. Again, I know that this is not a logical argument but we are not just logical but emotional as well.

4. Amen The Remonstrant, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post

Any thoughts?
    Matthew 10.16–17a: ‘“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But beware of men, …”’ (NKJV; emphasis added).
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post
    Honestly, these types of things really get to me and make me question my faith. I know logically that we are all fallen creatures and that we all need a savior, but emotionally it can get rough.

I have seen some of the most hateful things proclaimed in the name of Christianity. From my experience, this is the top cause for people that I know to reject the faith. Again, I know that this is not a logical argument but we are not just logical but emotional as well.
    I do hope this is not true. If you allow the actions of fallen men to impact your faith in Jesus Christ, you need to reevaluate that faith. It should be in the Almighty not in His failing followers.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

7. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Organizations have a tendency to close ranks in the face of a threat. Many see a threat to a member as a threat to all. No reason a Christian organization should be any different.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Christians should be different as they are to act with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which provides some sort of theoretic basis for the claims being made here. Of course the Holy Spirit is not going to override the free will of fallen man...
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

10. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Christians should be different as they are to act with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which provides some sort of theoretic basis for the claims being made here. Of course the Holy Spirit is not going to override the free will of fallen man...
    well it turns out the guidance of the Holy Spirit doesn't come with molester detectors, you gotta pay extra for that dlc
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My opinion is that unless there are two witnesses then you cannot condemn. So it makes sense to be skeptical.

13. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    My opinion is that unless there are two witnesses then you cannot condemn. So it makes sense to be skeptical.
    Paedophiliac predators ordinarily engage in their vile behaviour in private (i.e. secretly). Victims could do without your incredulity. ‘And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but rather even expose them’ (Eph. 5.11, LEB).*

* Lexham English Bible (2012).
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I would not expect the Spirit of God to supersede wilful ignorance, apathy, and/or naivety.