Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Should God Appear To Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Believing in god, Believing in god! That's what it's about Sparko, stop being a dumbell. If for whatever reason one doesn't believe in the existence of this god, then that disbelief is why they are going to be punished. You don't ask a god that you don't believe exists to save you. That's one of your dumber arguments.
    The devil and the demons believe in God and they are not saved.

James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.

So no, believing in God doesn't save you and not believing in him doesn't condemn you. Your sins condemn you. And your faith saves you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The devil and the demons believe in God and they are not saved.

James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.

So no, believing in God doesn't save you and not believing in him doesn't condemn you. Your sins condemn you. And your faith saves you.
      I see, so your sins condemn you. That means you're going to hell then, right? What's that you say? No? You're not going to Hell because you believe in god?

Comment

I see, so your sins condemn you. That means you're going to hell then, right? What's that you say? No? You're not going to Hell because you believe in god?
        I am not going to hell because I put my faith in Christ who paid for my sins. You are going to hell for your sins.

basically I asked the Governor for a pardon so I was set free. You don't believe in the Governor so you stay in jail for the crimes you committed.

Not believing in God just takes away your chance at salvation. Your damnation is due to your sins. You can't put your faith in something you don't believe in.

Comment

Believing in god, Believing in god! That's what it's about Sparko, stop being a dumbell. If for whatever reason one doesn't believe in the existence of this god, then that disbelief is why they are going to be punished. You don't ask a god that you don't believe exists to save you. That's one of your dumber arguments.
          Belief is necessary, but insufficient for salvation.

James 2:18-20 New International Version (NIV)
          18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

Faith/loyalty to God is more important than mere intellectual assent to His existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Belief is necessary, but insufficient for salvation.

James 2:18-20 New International Version (NIV)
            18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
            Before anything else you have to assent to his existence. In other words it's all about belief, and if you honestly don't believe in the invisible god, off to hell you go. Don't know why you guys can't admit to obvious facts!

Comment

Before anything else you have to assent to his existence. In other words it's all about belief, and if you honestly don't believe in the invisible god, off to hell you go. Don't know why you guys can't admit to obvious facts!
              Read my post again, especially the first sentence. "Belief is necessary, but insufficient for salvation".

Psalm 14
              For the director of music. Of David.
              1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
              “There is no God.”
              They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
              there is no one who does good.

2 The Lord looks down from heaven
              on all mankind
              to see if there are any who understand,
              any who seek God.
              3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
              there is no one who does good,
              not even one.

I'm beginning to think David was around someone like JimL.

Comment

Read my post again, especially the first sentence. "Belief is necessary, but insufficient for salvation".

Psalm 14
                For the director of music. Of David.
                1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
                “There is no God.”
                They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
                there is no one who does good.

2 The Lord looks down from heaven
                on all mankind
                to see if there are any who understand,
                any who seek God.
                3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
                there is no one who does good,
                not even one.

I'm beginning to think David was around someone like JimL.
                Hey dopey, before anything else you have to believe. Do you understand?

Comment

Hey dopey, before anything else you have to believe. Do you understand?
                  For the third time, yes, I do understand. I even stated it when I said "Belief is necessary, but insufficient for salvation". How many times do I have to say it before you get it?

Comment

You are putting the cart before the horse. NOBODY would go to hell if they did not sin. That is what sends people to hell. No sin, no hell. But since you have sinned the only way to stop going to hell is to accept the free gift of salvation, which you can't do if you don't believe in God.

Comment

For the third time, yes, I do understand. I even stated it when I said "Belief is necessary, but insufficient for salvation". How many times do I have to say it before you get it?
                      Consider with whom you're corresponding.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are putting the cart before the horse. NOBODY would go to hell if they did not sin. That is what sends people to hell. No sin, no hell. But since you have sinned the only way to stop going to hell is to accept the free gift of salvation, which you can't do if you don't believe in God.
                        However it is you want to define sin, whether we were created or evolved, there is no such thing as a perfect person who does not sin, so the only relevant point is that in this world you must either believe in the Christian god or go to hell. In other words the fact that you are not perfect is an inherent fact of your existence, which would mean, according to your logic, that hell is your destiny-unless you believe in your god. So, what will you do in heaven, sin no more?

Comment

Really? So what else is necessary? you'll always be a sinner by nature, right? So what else is necessary besides belief, and perhaps you could explain why belief is necessary too?

Comment

Really? So what else is necessary? you'll always be a sinner by nature, right? So what else is necessary besides belief, and perhaps you could explain why belief is necessary too?
                            Believe that Jesus died for your sins and make him Lord of your life and ask him to forgive your sins and save you.

Comment

Believe that Jesus died for your sins and make him Lord of your life and ask him to forgive your sins and save you.
                              Yeah, you already said that, you first have to believe that Jesus exists and is god. That's the whole point, you have to believe the whole thing is not a fairy tale. Believe it or go to hell! ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah, you already said that, you first have to believe that Jesus exists and is god. That's the whole point, you have to believe the whole thing is not a fairy tale. Believe it or go to hell! ridiculous.
                                duh. YOU do have to believe in God to go to heaven and be saved. But what you are being saved FROM is your own sins. So without God you pay for your own sins.

Your sins send you to hell, God saves you from hell. Now while you have to believe in God to be saved, you don't have to believe in him to be damned.

Comment