Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian Group On Campus Wins Case, For Now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Group On Campus Wins Case, For Now...

A little more sanity...

Christian Group Wins Court Case Against University of Iowa Over Statement of Faith, Judge Reinstates Them

A federal judge ruled Tuesday that the University of Iowa must temporarily reinstate a Christian student group that was booted out for refusing to violate its Statement of Faith.

Judge Stephanie Marie Rose of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa granted Business Leaders in Christ’s (BLinC) request for an injunction and ordered the school to reinstate the group as a registered campus student organization for at least 90 days.

“BLinC’s motion is granted based solely upon the university’s selective enforcement of an otherwise reasonable and viewpoint neutral nondiscrimination policy,” Rose’s order states.

The court agreed that the university has to stop discriminating against BLinC because of its religious beliefs,” said Eric Baxter, a senior counsel with the religious freedom law firm Becket, which is representing BlinC. “Every other group on campus gets to select leaders who embrace their mission. Religious groups don’t get second-class treatment.”

http://www.faithwire.com/2018/01/29/...instates-them/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

good.

Comment

Why would the student in question want a leadership position in a club when he expressly disagrees with their statement of faith? Very odd.

Anyway, I agree with the ruling- private clubs get to make their own rules, within obvious limits. This falls under that. If the statement of faith is so bad that students wish to have nothing to do with them, the club will wither & die without any external help.

Surprised how much student uni news gets into your news feeds though. I have no idea what is going on at uni campuses where I live unless there’s a huge crime committed or something.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        Anyway, I agree with the ruling- private clubs get to make their own rules, within obvious limits.
        So why would the university do this? Anti-religious bias?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I have no idea. Unless they release a statement it’s unlikely we’ll ever know. Assuming it’s an anti-religious bias is just reading the worst into it though, and as yet there’s no reason to think it wasn’t just a cock-up.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              A little more sanity...
              Statements of faith are for wimps.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Statements of faith are for wimps.
                I'd rate this doctrinal statement 7/10 overall. The pithiness might be worth an additional 0.5 points beyond that.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Why would the student in question want a leadership position in a club when he expressly disagrees with their statement of faith? Very odd.
                  Not really. I have no doubt at all that his sole reason for applying was to stir up just this sort of trouble. It is not an uncommon tactic among activists of various sorts.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I have no idea. Unless they release a statement it’s unlikely we’ll ever know. Assuming it’s an anti-religious bias is just reading the worst into it though, and as yet there’s no reason to think it wasn’t just a cock-up.
                    It's a fairly old case, they claimed that requiring the leader to be Christian was a violation of anti-discrimination clauses.

edit: nvm, this is a different case
                    Last edited by Darth Executor; 01-31-2018, 06:27 PM.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment