Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Call God "He..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I'm saying that the concept of the Hebrew god developed at a time when men were the supreme authority and women were the followers. So, of course a god made in man's image would reflect this. God would be male.
    God made them the supreme authority. He chose Abraham, Moses, David, etc to lead them. You arguing that God is made in man's image is a complete non-sequitur when discussing what BELIEVERS do. You are a moron.

Comment

All this questioning of somebody's self-identification as male...the hate speech is strong here.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        All this questioning of somebody's self-identification as male...the hate speech is strong here.
        Yeah, if a man can claim to be a 5 year old girl and the liberals cheer him on, why can't God claim to be a man without the liberals pitching a hissy?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, if a man can claim to be a 5 year old girl and the liberals cheer him on, why can't God claim to be a man without the liberals pitching a hissy?
          Because God must be a Republican!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            You think that Tass does not believe that men having supreme authority over women is wrong? I'm glad you don't agree that it is wrong...
            What Tass thinks of that was not the point. Why god was conceived of as male was the point Tass was making regardless of how he feels about the patriachal nature of ancient Israelites. You can bet if it were a Matriachal culture god would most likely have been conceived of as a female. Probably would have made for a better world as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Because God must be a Republican!!!
              I think we both know that given the choice, Jesus would never be a republican.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                I think we both know that given the choice, Jesus would never be a republican.
                Well, He was Jewish, and a resident of Israel, so ....
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  What Tass thinks of that was not the point. Why god was conceived of as male was the point Tass was making regardless of how he feels about the patriachal nature of ancient Israelites. You can bet if it were a Matriachal culture god would most likely have been conceived of as a female. Probably would have made for a better world as well.
                  I always thought you were a momma's boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    I'm saying that the concept of the Hebrew god developed at a time when men were the supreme authority and women were the followers.
                    That is still the case and barring millions of years of evolution in the opposite direction (unlikely) that will always be the case.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      That is still the case and barring millions of years of evolution in the opposite direction (unlikely) that will always be the case.
                      It is demonstrably not the case. Women have gained equal rights in the developed world and acquired premier status in many governments worldwide. The days when women had the legal status of "chattels" have long gone.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        It is demonstrably not the case. Women have gained equal rights in the developed world and acquired premier status in many governments worldwide. The days when women had the legal status of "chattels" have long gone.
                        having equal rights doesn't stop you from being a follower. Neither does having nominal power in a government that's in the pockets of a corporation owned by men.

The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of authorities remain men and even women who crow lowdly enough to give a different impression in certain fields (feminism) are owned by and do the bidding of men.

Feminism itself, of course, was also invented by men.
                        Last edited by Darth Executor; 02-08-2018, 07:55 PM.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          having equal rights doesn't stop you from being a follower. Neither does having nominal power in a government that's in the pockets of a corporation owned by men.
                          Having equal rights provides opportunities for women to own corporations and keep politicians in their pockets too.

The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of authorities remain men and even women who crow lowdly enough to give a different impression in certain fields (feminism) are owned by and do the bidding of men.
                          But this is changing despite biblical injections to keep women in their place. And so it should.

Feminism itself, of course, was also invented by men.
                          Emily Pankhurst and the suffragettes were men, who knew? Although I've long had my doubts about Germaine Greer.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• During my childhood, I only knew of only two men who ventured the opinion that women were inferior to men. One was in his seventies - he was generally considered kind of quaint (even by women). The other was in his early forties - everyone was scandalised.

Both were atheists (the younger was staunchly atheist) ... so, obviously, there were good and sufficient reasons for them to hold that opinion, and again obviously, no theist could lay any legitimate claim to such an opinion.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              But this is changing despite biblical injections to keep women in their place. And so it should.
                              What is wrong with keeping women in their place? You keep making these moral judgements with no basis.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                What is wrong with keeping women in their place? You keep making these moral judgements with no basis.
                                Yeah, obviously males evolved to be bigger and stronger than women so in the atheist's world it is natural that men are superior to women. Why doesn't Tassman accept that?

Comment