Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Call God "He..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Why would the Christian god consider himself male? If the only purpose is for ease of cultural assimilation, then wouldn't the identity of a male god be based on convenience rather than preference? In that case, for what reason should this identification be continued today?
    Jeremiah 3:18 "I myself said, "'How gladly would I treat you like my children and give you a pleasant land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.' I thought you would call me 'Father' and not turn away from following me.

Sounds like it is his preference to me.

Comment

My argument should be right or wrong based on its on merits regardless of my religion.
      OK, you're wrong, based on the facts.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        The culture out of which the Hebrew/Christian god was created was a patriarchal tribal warrior culture, so of course they're going to create a male god.
        And you, coming from a pinko commie leftist liberal sissy culture, would logically want to strip Him of his masculinity. Heck, you can't even figure out what a boy is!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The grammatical gender of nouns doesn't necessarily equate to the gender of the object they are attached to. But in the bible God refers to himself as "Father" and Jesus as "son" which takes out any ambiguity as to which gender God "self-identifies" as. Why can't you liberals be consistent? You go around preaching that people can choose their own pronouns and be any one of over 50 genders, yet you refuse to allow God to do the same?
          Just like how the left only tolerates free speech when they agree with it, freedom of choice is only permitted if you choose what they want.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And you, coming from a pinko commie leftist liberal sissy culture, would logically want to strip Him of his masculinity. Heck, you can't even figure out what a boy is!
            You should know by now CP that I don't believe your invisible daddy figure even exists, so logically I have no desire to strip him of anything.

Comment

Jeremiah 3:18 "I myself said, "'How gladly would I treat you like my children and give you a pleasant land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.' I thought you would call me 'Father' and not turn away from following me.

Sounds like Jeremiah's preference to me as well.

Comment

Sounds like Jeremiah's preference to me as well.
                That was YHWH speaking, not Jeremiah.

Comment

That was YHWH speaking, not Jeremiah.
                  No, actually that was Jeremiah, Sparko. You see what happens is that the story teller puts the words into the mouths of his characters.

Comment

Nothing you quoted is inconsistent with a God who introduced himself as a man to allow for religious proliferation among a patriarchal people, which is the only rational purpose for an ageless, formless, all-powerful entity to have a gender preference.

Comment

OK, you're wrong, based on the facts.
                      If you're not going to bother sharing these facts, I can only assume their nonexistence.

Comment

If you're not going to bother sharing these facts, I can only assume their nonexistence.
                        You can assume anything you want - that seems to be your specialty.

Comment

You should know by now CP that I don't believe your invisible daddy figure even exists, so logically I have no desire to strip him of anything.
                          Yet here you are, spewing forth ignorance, when you can't even figure out what a boy is, you NAMBLA supporter!

Comment

You can assume anything you want - that seems to be your specialty.
                            Then I'll assume you have a crush on me and only take part in discussions with me where you have nothing of substance to say to get a handsome fella to chat with you.

Comment

Then I'll assume you have a crush on me and only take part in discussions with me where you have nothing of substance to say to get a handsome fella to chat with you.
                              Sure, PM, if that makes you feel better.

Comment

Sure, PM, if that makes you feel better.
                                It would make me feel better if you didn't revert to the debate tactics of a 5 year old when you come across a dissenting opinion.

Comment