Screen Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Names

I think I made a thread about this a ways back, but what the heck...let's do it again. What significance does your screen name have?

Mine comes from a dark time in my early college years, when I was about to start playing a browser game called Travian. ( DON'T PLAY IT, DON'T LOOK IT UP, DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. IT'S A TRAP.) I needed a name but couldn't think of anything, so out of desperation I pulled out a dictionary and started rifling through it from the beginning.

I was there for a while.

I got to the back, not having found much of anything, and came upon this cool word "zymology," meaning the study of fermentation. I claimed it as my own, and ten years later I haven't thought of anything better. At this point the only thing that would make me change was if there was a similarly obscure word meaning "the study of distillation," but I don't know of any. (Do you?)
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I am mossrose.

Otherwise known as portulaca, a small, delicate flower that grows here as an annual. It was one of my Mom's favourite flowers and she had a large patch of them that reseeded themselves and grew every year at the house I grew up in. It comes in a multitude of colours, and the blossoms look like porcelain, they are so delicate.

I try to grow some every year.

Portulaca-grandiflora-Main.jpg

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I am The wall.
      I like my name and it is a wall.
      sigpic

Comment

My screen name signifies my nickname. Also known as Sparky, Sparkles, Sparks, Spork, Sparkmiester, Sparkplug, and many others.

Comment

Needed an AOL username/email address. Was going through a short lived drum n' bass period at the time; had Goldie's Timeless album in front of me, turned it over, and saw the song "Adrift". Good enough. Been using it ever since. I've used a few other screen names from time to time on other forums...Richie Dagger (from a Germs song), and Soul Anchor are a couple, but I usually just stick with Adrift. I've met up with folks offline who insisted on just calling me Adrift in person, and I always think that's a little funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Needed an AOL username/email address. Was going through a short lived drum n' bass period at the time; had Goldie's Timeless album in front of me, turned it over, and saw the song "Adrift". Good enough. Been using it ever since. I've used a few other screen names from time to time on other forums...Richie Dagger (from a Germs song), and Soul Anchor are a couple, but I usually just stick with Adrift. I've met up with folks offline who insisted on just calling me Adrift in person, and I always think that's a little funny.
            When us twebbers met up at the tweb conventions and other times we pretty much called each other by our screen names. They became our nicknames IRL. Which for me is no different than the rest of my life since it is my nickname.

Comment

Mine is from an original character a friend and I created. I originally used Cerebellum, but kind of got tired of my brother mocking me for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                When us twebbers met up at the tweb conventions and other times we pretty much called each other by our screen names. They became our nicknames IRL. Which for me is no different than the rest of my life since it is my nickname.
                I wondered about that.

Comment

I choose my name because God loves me.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Mine is from an original character a friend and I created. I originally used Cerebellum, but kind of got tired of my brother mocking me for it.
                    I've mentioned this before, but whenever I see your username, I automatically think of the old Cerebus the Aardvark comics from the 80s.

Comment

Looney Tune

On the sacrificial altar
                      In a deli in New York
                      You might find a leg of lamb
                      But you won´t find no pork
                      I´ve never, ever killed a man
                      And I swear I´ve never lied
                      But God said, "You´ve done quite enough, you pig your bacon´s fried"

Chorus:
                      One Bad Pig - Our claim to fame
                      One Bad Pig - What a stupid name
                      One Bad Pig - God won´t take ham
                      One BadPig - Christ is The Lamb

I was a filthy goyim
                      The worst you´d ever seen
                      But you can call me "Kosher"
                      Cuz Jesus made me clean
                      Once to be called chosen
                      You had to be a Jew
                      But since we died in Jesus One Bad Pig is chosen too

Chorus (2x)

One Bad Pig - Our claim to fame
                      One Bad Pig - What a stupid name
                      One Bad Pig - God won´t take ham
                      One BadPig - Christ is The Lamb

ONE BAD PIG!
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I suppose the other possibility for a switch might be Metallurgist. Still not sure if it could topple the mighty Zymologist, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          a browser game called Travian. ( DON'T PLAY IT, DON'T LOOK IT UP, DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. IT'S A TRAP.)
                          Huh, I played that game as well.

Anyway, my screen name doesn't really have much of a significance to it:

I was 15(ish) and using the nickname Chronos on forums and in the games I was playing. I didn't think it was "unique" enough so I bastardized the spelling and the result was Chrawnus. I think it also had something to do with the "caw" or "kraa" sound that crows and ravens make.

Comment

Everything anyone needs to know about my screen name is in my sig.

Lao Tzu is not a name, it's a description. It means "old man" or "old master," and in contradistinction to the prophetic traditions of the Abrahamic faiths, illustrates the utility of anonymity, focusing attention on the message stripped of any authority assigned to the messenger.

It was chosen as an homage to the anonymous final editor of the 81 poems comprising the Tao Te Ching, literally the "Way Virtue Book," a composition of the Tao Ching and the Te Ching, presented together and titled "The Way of Life" in English, and representing, for me, a close approximation to my personal philosophy. It's not about truth. It's about how to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              Huh, I played that game as well.
                              The fact that you can post that on this forum, rather than be playing Travian at this very moment, speaks highly of your self-discipline.

Comment