Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump lies and false news breaks all records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Is your life around you not rich? Do you not enjoy your friends and neighbors? Do you have to focus on "the entire country" rather than the part in which you live and function?
    Actually - while my life is "rich," my travel and the exit of my kids from school has significantly narrowed my social ties. My dad passed three+ years ago, and Mom is not likely to be with us much longer. Pretty much all of my siblings travel and would welcome a place to visit like Australia. And if one can have a social hub here - why not in Australia?

But yes - the "entire country" does impact me. I live in one of the bluest states in the country (I think we're second only to California). But the tenor of the entire country impacts me. The level of verbal and physical violence impacts me. And certainly the tenor of our governments, local, state, and national impacts me. I used to be proud to be an American. My travels have given me too many experiences of being ashamed of it. Now I find myself experiencing that on an almost daily basis. It matters.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      the saddest part is that the Democrats are trying to do the very same thing and talk Oprah into running. It really is sad that the office of POTUS has become a popularity contest. I guess that is the price we pay for living in the Social Media world.
      Oprah was a flash in the pan after the globes. I think her ego is only slightly lower than Trumps (ever notice who is on the front of each and every issue of "O?"). She does have several personal characteristics that are FAR superior to his, but she is likewise politically naive. We don't need career politicians, but we also do not need neophytes cutting their teeth on politics in the highest office in the land. I wonder what Trump would have said if he was interviewing someone for a CEO position in his company, and the person had zero management experience, and zero experience leading a company?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Actually - while my life is "rich," my travel and the exit of my kids from school has significantly narrowed my social ties. My dad passed three+ years ago, and Mom is not likely to be with us much longer. Pretty much all of my siblings travel and would welcome a place to visit like Australia. And if one can have a social hub here - why not in Australia?
        Cause they don't let old people like me move there.

But yes - the "entire country" does impact me. I live in one of the bluest states in the country (I think we're second only to California). But the tenor of the entire country impacts me. The level of verbal and physical violence impacts me. And certainly the tenor of our governments, local, state, and national impacts me. I used to be proud to be an American. My travels have given me too many experiences of being ashamed of it. Now I find myself experiencing that on an almost daily basis. It matters.
        Whatever floats your boat!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cause they don't let old people like me move there.
          Well - that is an obstacle I may encounter as well.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Whatever floats your boat!
          Actually - that is ANOTHER thing we're discussing.

Comment

Actually - that is ANOTHER thing we're discussing.
            Boat - Noun - A hole in the water into which you endlessly toss money.

Been there, done that.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Boat - Noun - A hole in the water into which you endlessly toss money.

Been there, done that.
              Oh, it wouldn't be MY boat...

Comment

You really need to get out of mommy's basement occasionally....

Talk of Oprah running for president captivates Democrats

From Hollywood to Iowa, a sudden wave of enthusiasm for Oprah Winfrey as a potential presidential candidate swept through the Democratic Party on Monday, beginning as a social-media sensation after her rousing remarks at Sunday night’s Golden Globes ceremony and escalating nationally as party officials and activists earnestly considered the possibility.

The calls for Winfrey, a cultural icon and friend of former president Barack Obama’s, to look hard at entering the 2020 race against President Trump revealed a longing among Democrats for a global celebrity of their own who could emerge as their standard-bearer and his foil.

The clamor also exposed how the crowded class of Democrats mulling over bids for the White House so far lacks a front-runner or someone who could easily unite the party’s key coalitions of women, minorities and working-class voters.

“Lord, we need passion and excitement,” said state Rep. Gilda Cobb-Hunter, a prominent Demo*crat in South Carolina, one of the early-voting states in the race for the nomination. “I know it’s conjecture right now, but I’d ask her to give it serious consideration. If anybody could bring us together, it’s her.”
                That's just dumb CP. She made a speech and people praised her for it. Obviously she has many admirers out there, just like Trump has many deplorable admirers out there, but I don't see anyone, or "the democrats" as Sparko put it, trying to talk her into running as Sparko suggested.

Comment

^ That is what I meant by "self-loathing"

I wasn't talking about loathing yourself, but your own country.

Comment

Oprah was a flash in the pan after the globes. I think her ego is only slightly lower than Trumps (ever notice who is on the front of each and every issue of "O?"). She does have several personal characteristics that are FAR superior to his, but she is likewise politically naive. We don't need career politicians, but we also do not need neophytes cutting their teeth on politics in the highest office in the land. I wonder what Trump would have said if he was interviewing someone for a CEO position in his company, and the person had zero management experience, and zero experience leading a company?
                    They aren't ready to give up on talking her into running. And with her ego, she might just be playing hard to get.

http://people.com/movies/jesus-sends...oprah-winfrey/

Comment

^ That is what I meant by "self-loathing"

I wasn't talking about loathing yourself, but your own country.
                      A talk radio host described two kinds of people in America.

One person says, "America has its problems, but it's a great country."
                      The other says, "America is a great country, but it has its problems."

It's essentially the optimist versus the pessimist, and I think it's safe to say that conservatives tend to be in the former group while liberals tend to be in the latter.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        That's just dumb CP.
                        Which is why the Democrats might actually do it! After all, they have YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          That's just dumb CP. She made a speech and people praised her for it. Obviously she has many admirers out there, just like Trump has many deplorable admirers out there, but I don't see anyone, or "the democrats" as Sparko put it, trying to talk her into running as Sparko suggested.
                          Get out of the house more.

by "Democrats" I wasn't speaking about the party, but the liberal public. People like you.

But if you don't believe they were/are serious:

The Serious Case for Oprah 2020
                          Could President Trump really be replaced by President Winfrey? Don’t be so quick to dismiss the idea.
                          By BILL SCHER
                          March 01, 2017
                          https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-trump-214851

Comment

They aren't ready to give up on talking her into running. And with her ego, she might just be playing hard to get.

http://people.com/movies/jesus-sends...oprah-winfrey/
                            She says she'll run if God tells her to, but since she openly rejects the God of the Bible, I'm not sure which god she is referring to.

Comment

Which is why the Democrats might actually do it! After all, they have YOU!
                              So now I wonder, if it came to Trump versus Oprah, would Jimmy vote for Oprah?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                She says she'll run if God tells her to, but since she openly rejects the God of the Bible, I'm not sure which god she is referring to.
                                The real one.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment