Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump lies and false news breaks all records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Get out of the house more.

by "Democrats" I wasn't speaking about the party, but the liberal public. People like you.
    Oh I see, so you saw a few people on facebook saying Oprah should run and you turn that into Democrats are trying to talk her into running.
    But if you don't believe they were/are serious:

The Serious Case for Oprah 2020
    Could President Trump really be replaced by President Winfrey? Don’t be so quick to dismiss the idea.
    By BILL SCHER
    March 01, 2017
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-trump-214851
    That's not even a serious case for Oprah to run, it's a serious case for her not running. I swear, I don't think you even read half the stuff you site.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      She says she'll run if God tells her to, but since she openly rejects the God of the Bible, I'm not sure which god she is referring to.
      Did you look at the link I posted? Jesus gave her a message.

Comment

I don't know which Jesus she's referring to, either, because she rejects Jesus as he's described in the Bible. She once famously said, "Jesus can't be the only way to God."
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Which is fine when she gets it, but when Pence hears from God, he's a freakin lunatic!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Oh I see, so you saw a few people on facebook saying Oprah should run and you turn that into Democrats are trying to talk her into running.
            Wow, now you're trying to outdumb your OWN self!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              It was more than a few people on facebook, JimL. It was all over the media for days, and it is still going on. CNN, Fox, NBC, they all carried it.

That's not even a serious case for Oprah to run, it's a serious case for her not running. I swear, I don't think you even read half the stuff you site.
              So I am guessing if it comes down to Oprah vs Trump, you will be voting Trump then?

Comment

Well it is his thread...
                Waiting for a response concerning the subject of the thread and the post.

Back to the subject of the thread concerning tRump's lies, fake news, confusion, and inconsistencies.

I forgot to add that tRump previously signed a paper summarizing the economic trade balances by country. The trade balances included services in the totals and indicated we had a trade surplus with Canada. I guess he did not remember, or . . . was totally clueless as to what he signs.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

^ That is what I meant by "self-loathing"

I wasn't talking about loathing yourself, but your own country.
                  Umm... "self loathing" means "loathing self."

And I do not loath my country - nor is anything about my political views necessarily require "loathing." I am disappointed in the shallowness of my fellow citizens. Push comes to shove, if it continues, I'd probably prefer to find a country more in line with my own morals and political views.

And how, may I ask, is that ANY different from you believing that our country has been "rendered less great by liberals?" You appear to loath at least some part of our citizenry, despise government and what it stands for, and denigrate anyone who doesn't share your particular political/religious/moral perspective. So what makes you any different?
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

They aren't ready to give up on talking her into running. And with her ego, she might just be playing hard to get.

http://people.com/movies/jesus-sends...oprah-winfrey/
                    Your source is People Magazine? Really?
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

And I do not loath my country - nor is anything about my political views necessarily require "loathing." I am disappointed in the shallowness of my fellow citizens. Push comes to shove, if it continues, I'd probably prefer to find a country more in line with my own morals and political views.

And how, may I ask, is that ANY different from you believing that our country has been "rendered less great by liberals?" You appear to loath at least some part of our citizenry, despise government and what it stands for, and denigrate anyone who doesn't share your particular political/religious/moral perspective. So what makes you any different?
                      From my time in Oz, they may disappoint you. Their government haven’t exactly been beacons of civil rights recently.

From a personal level, I found a LOT of casual racism out there- but then I spent a lot of time in the outback with farmers who hated the government at the time because they’re the ones who gave aboriginals the right to vote- rather than the more cosmopolitan cities (Melbourne as you say is lovely- Mt Buller which is a bit north offers a spot of skiing in the winter)

Comment

Oprah was a flash in the pan after the globes. I think her ego is only slightly lower than Trumps (ever notice who is on the front of each and every issue of "O?"). She does have several personal characteristics that are FAR superior to his, but she is likewise politically naive. We don't need career politicians, but we also do not need neophytes cutting their teeth on politics in the highest office in the land. I wonder what Trump would have said if he was interviewing someone for a CEO position in his company, and the person had zero management experience, and zero experience leading a company?
                        He would have hired them!

Comment

Did you read your last post? You are so disappointed in our country that you want to leave.

I think that despite many problems and despite people thinking what a lousy country we have, we still have the greatest country and government in the world. Yes we have problems, but despite them, we persevere and even grow. I believe the USA is better than any other country out there. That's what make me different than you.

Comment

Did you read your last post? You are so disappointed in our country that you want to leave.
                            Not yet. But if Trump is re-elected, I most certainly will be. And that is not "self-loathing" by any definition I know.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I think that despite many problems and despite people thinking what a lousy country we have, we still have the greatest country and government in the world.
                            I do not, by most metrics.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Yes we have problems, but despite them, we persevere and even grow. I believe the USA is better than any other country out there. That's what make me different than you.
                            That is true. It does not make me "self-loathing." It is my hope that we can "find our greatness." But I will not be blinded to our serious problems, both now and throughout history. And if it reaches a point where I do not think we can "find our greatness" in my lifetime, I'm going to find a better place to live.

As an analogy, I built my own house. But it is now been rezoned into a "hazardous flood plane" and we have been flooded six times since I built it (25 years ago), five of those in the last five years. I designed it to withstand floods, so the floods have been a nuisance rather than a source of damage. But things are changing. If/when I get to the point that I find living here to be unacceptably onerous, and there is no sign of that changing in my lifetime, I will sell this property to anyone who wants to buy it for whatever price they are willing to pay (with the situation well documented), and I will find a place where I can live out my life more comfortably. I do not believe in pounding my head against a wall - and I do not have empty loyalties to things that don't merit them. We raised our boys here, and the house is full of memories - but I am not a blind sentimentalist.

The same is true of this country. I have contributed to it, worked within it, and enjoyed many of its benefits. I have also watched it slide in many, many ways. When it reaches the point that the slide appears irreversible in my lifetime, I will "sell the house" and go elsewhere. Right now, I am more embarrassed for our country than I am proud of it. It is not a feeling I enjoy.
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Not yet. But if Trump is re-elected, I most certainly will be. And that is not "self-loathing" by any definition I know.

I do not, by most metrics.

That is true. It does not make me "self-loathing." It is my hope that we can "find our greatness." But I will not be blinded to our serious problems, both now and throughout history. And if it reaches a point where I do not think we can "find our greatness" in my lifetime, I'm going to find a better place to live.

As an analogy, I built my own house. But it is now been rezoned into a "hazardous flood plane" and we have been flooded six times since I built it (25 years ago), five of those in the last five years. I designed it to withstand floods, so the floods have been a nuisance rather than a source of damage. But things are changing. If/when I get to the point that I find living here to be unacceptably onerous, and there is no sign of that changing in my lifetime, I will sell this property to anyone who wants to buy it for whatever price they are willing to pay (with the situation well documented), and I will find a place where I can live out my life more comfortably. I do not believe in pounding my head against a wall - and I do not have empty loyalties to things that don't merit them. We raised our boys here, and the house is full of memories - but I am not a blind sentimentalist.

The same is true of this country. I have contributed to it, worked within it, and enjoyed many of its benefits. I have also watched it slide in many, many ways. When it reaches the point that the slide appears irreversible in my lifetime, I will "sell the house" and go elsewhere. Right now, I am more embarrassed for our country than I am proud of it. It is not a feeling I enjoy.
                              You keep making my point.

Even if Hillary had won, I would still think this is the greatest Country in the world and would not even think of leaving it. The USA isn't a house.

Comment

You keep making my point.

Even if Hillary had won, I would still think this is the greatest Country in the world and would not even think of leaving it. The USA isn't a house.
                                I remember thinking that, when Bill Clinton won, our country was doomed. We survived. We survived Obama. We are a very resilient nation.

Comment