Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Market plunge.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Yeah - but I don't follow the DOW. It's a pretty lame index. The NASQAQ is up 148.36 (2.13%), The S&P 500 is up 46.20 (1.74%), and the Wilshire 5000 (my favorite) is up 440.03 (1.60%).

Doesn't erase the correction, and is certainly part of the ongoing volatility. The Wilshire bounced around in a 1082 point window over the course of the day.

Let's see what tomorrow and the rest of the week bring.
    Looks like your Wilshire 5000 is pretty close to the S&P 500.

Chart:
    Blue: Wilshire 5000,
    Red: DOW
    Gold:S&P 500

stock.jpg

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Looks like your Wilshire 5000 is pretty close to the S&P 500.

Chart:
    Blue: Wilshire 5000,
    Red: DOW
    Gold:S&P 500

stock.jpg
    Yeah - the law of large numbers at work. The DOW aggregates about 30 stocks. The S&P aggregates 500. Wilshire aggregates (wait for it)... about 3750 (turns out there aren't enough stocks left for them to aggregate 5000, given the heavy spate of M&As in the past decade). Usually, you see alignment tighten as much as it's going to between 1,000 and 1,500 - which is why most surveys/polls target these numbers, and those that target a smaller pool have a larger margin of error.

I would have expected the S&P to be closer to the Wilshire than the DOW - but the distinction may be a function of what stock groups are present in the index.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah - the law of large numbers at work. The DOW aggregates about 30 stocks. The S&P aggregates 500. Wilshire aggregates (wait for it)... about 3750 (turns out there aren't enough stocks left for them to aggregate 5000, given the heavy spate of M&As in the past decade). Usually, you see alignment tighten as much as it's going to between 1,000 and 1,500 - which is why most surveys/polls target these numbers, and those that target a smaller pool have a larger margin of error.

I would have expected the S&P to be closer to the Wilshire than the DOW - but the distinction may be a function of what stock groups are present in the index.
    For most of my investing (long term) I usually stick to index funds like the S&P 500 or Russel 2000, and I have a few bonds and a few company stocks (like Apple and Johnson & Johnson) - I seem to do pretty good. I am not an expert on the stock market. I made the mistake of trying to do "day trading" once and pretty much lost my test pool. Predicting stock rises and falls is beyond me, so I try to just go in it for the long haul.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    For most of my investing (long term) I usually stick to index funds like the S&P 500 or Russel 2000, and I have a few bonds and a few company stocks (like Apple and Johnson & Johnson) - I seem to do pretty good. I am not an expert on the stock market. I made the mistake of trying to do "day trading" once and pretty much lost my test pool. Predicting stock rises and falls is beyond me, so I try to just go in it for the long haul.
    Yeah me too - though I have steered away from individual stocks as well as bonds. I do mutual funds and ETFs almost exclusively. Historically, I've had a strong emphasis on growth funds/ETFs (about 80/20) and that served me well in the run up of the last 8 years. I'm now beginning the shift to more of a balance (50/50) and will eventually shift to 20/80 as I prepare to retire. Looking at the history, bluechips with dividends seem to pay on those dividends independent of the stock value, and that has been true pretty much for the last century (for the oldest of those). It provides for a stronger income than bonds, and that income is pretty much independent of stock market ebbs and flows. Indeed, if you look at the dividends paid out by bluechip companies, and their growth over the years, the graph makes it look like the last two bear markets (2001, 2008/9) never happened.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have done incredibly well in this last few weeks, with the couple of trades I executed -- I'm going to stop now.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some more stock market plunges today, with the Dow down another 1000 points.

I see Sean Hannity's been turning the double-speak up to 11: Trump's been responsible for all the increases under him, but Obama is responsible for this latest downturn. Gotta love the conservative double-speak. The Trump Slump is all Obama's fault!
    Last edited by Starlight; 02-09-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

I see Sean Hannity's been turning the double-speak up to 11: Trump's been responsible for all the increases under him, but Obama is responsible for this latest downturn. Gotta love the conservative double-speak. The Trump Slump is all Obama's fault!
    Meanwhile, it's like I'm PERSONALLY driving the market!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

Are you serious? Hannity is blaming the current slump on Obama? Exactly how does that rationalization work?

-Martin Luther King

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you serious? Hannity is blaming the current slump on Obama? Exactly how does that rationalization work?
    The right is little if any better than the left in far too many cases. I do not know anything about this claim, but true or false it is to be expected.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It doesn't have to work rationally, they know their audience.

11. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.