Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Levittown housing developments -example of wide spread post war racism.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    You are the one not capable of reading, or even using words properly. The fact that HUD housing benefits were not available to blacks in no way makes the housing benefits a "privilege" since they are an EARNED REWARD, the exact opposite of privilege. Same with education, farm loans, etc. You are using the buzzword "privilage" while having no idea what it means. Do you understand what I am saying or is the 3+ SD gap between our IQs truly impossible to bridge?
    Earned reward? The criteria for earning the reward was being a white veteran. If you are a black veteran you do not earn the reward, This is classic white privilege.

Are you actually say that being eligible to be house is an earned reward for being white?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    It's news to me. Not being a USan, it wasn't covered in my history classes, or in documentaries I've seen.
    Okay, so furriners don't study US history as much. Weird.

But seriously, Shuny should already have known about this - it's a part of the Civil Rights history (yeah, yeah, I know, everyone thinks that Civil rights Movement began in the Sixties - it really has it's foundations in the Twenties - some earlier). It's like not knowing about Billie Holiday or sit ins (guess what else didn't start in the Sixties) - you can't claim even a casual familiarity with race issues in the US without a solid grounding in its history - at least not and have any legitimacy to the claim.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Earned reward? The criteria for earning the reward was being a white veteran. If you are a black veteran you do not earn the reward, This is classic white privilege.

Are you actually say that being eligible to be house is an earned reward for being white?
    For once, man up and admit you messed up. He's talking about veterans having earned veterans benefits and you know it. Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.

4. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    For once, man up and admit you messed up. He's talking about veterans having earned veterans benefits and you know it. Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.
    Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.

It is clear and specific blacks are denied access to HUD housing based on race.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.

It is clear and specific blacks are denied access to HUD housing based on race.
    While one poster insists that the phenomenon is well known, other posters seem to disagree with the premise of the OP.

Redlining by creditors, the USDA and farm loans and even extension work, the VA, etc. were not covered in school curricula years ago. A decade ago, there was a series of studies on the effects of unequal levels of access to all levels of support for ownership of farmland for blacks. The pervasive and institutionalized racial inequalities over many decades stripped blacks of farm ownership. It took many by surprised, because the farm programs were seen as being above such things, even in the south. So I do not think it is well known and recognized as part of our history.

A generation ago the phenomenon was referred to as racial inequality, "white privilege" has come into common usage more recently. But privilege is the flip side of the inequality problem, in the US the advantage from being white only can be seen with respect to the problems of racial inequality posing a disadvantage for blacks.

We like to think of segregation as a southern problem, but it was also imposed (with approval from many segments of society) in most of the US. It was propagated through active policies and passively acquiescing to the status quo, those who agitated for change were largely impotent to affect change.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No. It may be discrimination but it's not privilege.

The houses were not rewards for being white. They were rewards for being VETERANS. That not all veterans were rewarded does not suddenly make it a privilege.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

8. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The houses were not rewards for being white. They were rewards for being VETERANS. That not all veterans were rewarded does not suddenly make it a privilege.
    A slight change: The houses were not rewards for being veterans. They were rewards for being WHITE. That not all whites were rewarded does not suddenly make it a privilege.

Same argument, different emphasis.

The benefit was granted to white veterans, and not granted to non-white veterans, white non-veterans or non-white non-veterans.
    Mountain Man: A skin cell is a skin cell. It doesn't grow, it doesn't organize, it doesn't adapt, it doesn't self-sustain, it doesn't metabolize, it doesn't respond to stimuli.