Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus said that God is the only true God (John 17:3).
    Jesus said that God is a Spirit (John 4:24).
    Jesus called God Holy (John 17:11).
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

37818 stating that "Jesus said that God is the only true God (John 17:3)" is not accurate because in John 17:3, Jesus called specifically the Father (not God) "the only true God" as follows;

"After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

Jesus calling the Father "the only true God" proves that the Holy Spirit is not God.

Comment

I think you need to clarify what you mean by your proposition that the Holy Spirit is not God. Do you, for example, mean the Holy Spirit is not God in person? Do you mean the Holy Spirit is not God ontologically? Jesus' declaration that the Father is the only true God is obviously a nuanced assertion. It must be because the Bible speaks factually about other persons as God. Or perhaps I should say the Bible speaks of other persons as GOD/god, recognizing that in the earliest NT manuscripts every letter of every word was capitalized and in the somewhat later manuscripts nothing was capitalized. The modern Christian practice of capitalizing the first letter only of "God" is intended to distinguish the person in question as belonging to the Trinity -- three distinct persons possessing ontological equality, two of whom have their origin in the third. (This is how the early church fathers understood the Trinity.)

Comment

Moderated By: Littlejoe

This is not the correct area to debate. This is the area to determine who and what will be debated.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            Please let me correct you 37818;

You saying "Jesus said that God is the only true God (John 17:3)" is wrong Jesus in John 17:1-3 called the Father "the only true God"

Comment

Originally posted by Cale View Post
              I think you need to clarify what you mean by your proposition that the Holy Spirit is not God. Do you, for example, mean the Holy Spirit is not God in person? Do you mean the Holy Spirit is not God ontologically? Jesus' declaration that the Father is the only true God is obviously a nuanced assertion. It must be because the Bible speaks factually about other persons as God. Or perhaps I should say the Bible speaks of other persons as GOD/god, recognizing that in the earliest NT manuscripts every letter of every word was capitalized and in the somewhat later manuscripts nothing was capitalized. The modern Christian practice of capitalizing the first letter only of "God" is intended to distinguish the person in question as belonging to the Trinity -- three distinct persons possessing ontological equality, two of whom have their origin in the third. (This is how the early church fathers understood the Trinity.)
              Thanks Cale for your clarification.

I submit that the Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is not God that does not possess the attributes of the only true God.

Comment

Only the president and his family live in the White House.
                The government says I own my house.
                The government inspector says my house is white.

Therefore I am the president.

Comment

If god is a spirit, then what's the point of the 3rd person or "holy spirit." And by the way, if a spirit doesn't take up space, how is it that the spirit Jesus is encapsulated within the body Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    If god is a spirit, then what's the point of the 3rd person or "holy spirit." And by the way, if a spirit doesn't take up space, how is it that the spirit Jesus is encapsulated within the body Jesus.
                    In John 1:1-2 the Word is both identified as God and as someone other than God, " with God. " Arguably what makes them, two persons, the one and the same God is that their Spirit is one. So the Spirit of God and the,Spirit of Christ are the Holy Spirit, Romans 8:9, who is also a person Him(It)self, Romans 8:16, by whom Christians know God and that they are children of God. As John explains, has "the witness in himself." 1 John 5:10.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Moderated By: One Bad Pig

As Littlejoe said upthread, this is not a debate thread. Closing.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X