Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Do You See Voting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Local politicians know that votes often come down to a difference of a handful, even a dozen or less. One of our county judges won last election by TWO votes. Many politicians will pander to anybody who might get them "over the line". It is not unusual at all for a local politician to see that as a stepping stone to a statewide or national office.
    So your suggesting that a local politician might pander to criminals in jail to gain a seat? Somehow, it seems to me, that would quickly become a means of attacking them politically.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      well the 14th Amendment part 2 gives the implicit right to disenfranchise someone for rebellion or crimes but it is up to the state to determine for what crimes and if and how long.
      So that answers that - a federal law about it would probably be struct down, meaning states have to do this independently. My guess is, if I did the research (and I don't have time), so-called "red states" likely tend to restrict voting by this population, and so-called "blue states" likely tend to permit voting by this population.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        So your suggesting that a local politician might pander to criminals in jail to gain a seat
        Did you forget to finish the sentence? A verb should come next.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Did you forget to finish the sentence? A verb should come next.

How dare you try to out-Nazi a bonafide grammar Nazi!

Comment

The problem in Oregon is that voters do get to pass laws via measures. In fact, a previous measure had to do with sentencing for criminals. So you could potentially have a murderer voting to reduce his sentence if he could vote. That makes it a lot more messy.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              So your suggesting that a local politician might pander to criminals in jail to gain a seat?
              As a block, not individually. If "prisoners" were allowed to vote, it's pretty reasonable to assume that a "tough on crime" candidate would not benefit so much as an "inclusive" candidate would.

Somehow, it seems to me, that would quickly become a means of attacking them politically.
              If somebody is already known as "soft on crime", that's already a point of attack.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Somebody I know posed this thought recently (and I'm paraphrasing):

"My citizenship is in heaven, not on earth. I have no right to interfere in the kingdoms on earth for that reason, and that means no voting."

That sounds pious, but I don't think it logically follows. (Although you could make an argument based on 2 Timothy 2:4).

It made me think, but I wasn't ultimately convinced to give up voting. I kind of have a hard time envisioning Jesus voting though. Others may disagree, but that's just me.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Somebody I know posed this thought recently (and I'm paraphrasing):

"My citizenship is in heaven, not on earth. I have no right to interfere in the kingdoms on earth for that reason, and that means no voting."

That sounds pious, but I don't think it logically follows. (Although you could make an argument based on 2 Timothy 2:4).

It made me think, but I wasn't ultimately convinced to give up voting. I kind of have a hard time envisioning Jesus voting though. Others may disagree, but that's just me.
                  My thought is that as Christians we are supposed to be an influence for Good in the world, to represent God's Kingdom and values and promote them. In most free countries that would include using voting to promote those values.

Comment