Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voting is a right

9 52.94%
  • Voting is a privilege

6 35.29%
  • Voting is a responsibility

13 76.47%
  • Voting is Something else (explain in thread)

3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You See Voting?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Nice! Thanks!

(P.S., maybe that poll should be called "How Do You See Voting?")
    I have no idea what you mean

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't consider voting to be the single most important act in a representative democracy. It isn't the only way--and it might not even be the best way to be involved. Donating money or time, for example, might help bring back a bigger "ROI". So might lobbying--either professionally or as a concerned citizen--and consumption patterns--that is, what is popular is often favored by law and policy. Voting is symbolic of the layers of participation, but it can give the impression that once one has voted, one has fulfilled his civic duty.

To me, voting also carries a strange moral hazard, for both the voter and politician. The voter puts his stamp of approval on a person with whom they don't fully agree, and the politician tries to walk a fine balance (sometimes) between representing what he thinks is good and true and then doing what his constituents (voters or purse-string pullers) deem good and true. For that reason, I don't always vote for main stream politicians. I am more likely, these days, to cast a symbolic protest vote, than to seriously engage with either of the mainstream parties.

fwiw,
    guacamole
    "Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the
    thankless sea?"

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have no idea what you mean
    Shhhhuuuurrre....you don't...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Voting is an interesting one because it is not an inherent or inalienable right -- after all, God doesn't run a democracy -- it's a "right" created by and solely dependent on the existence of some sort of governing body. If that governing body decides that people shouldn't vote, such as in a monarchy or a dictatorship, then you don't get to vote. It's as simple as that, and I really can't think of a universal argument for why people should be allowed to vote in every circumstance. In my own family, sometimes the parents will solicit the opinions of the children, other times the children must simply do as we say even if they have a different opinion. It depends on the situation.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-07-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It is multiple choice. they can check as many boxes as they want.

I didn't see that earlier.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In retrospect, I should have ticked off all three. However, I ticked off Privilege and Responsibility. Not to pull the sex card but women have only had the vote for a century (1920). Given what Elizabeth Cady Stanton or Susan B. Anthony went through to raise the question and what women deal with in other countries, I do feel like voting is a privilege for me. I also see it as my patriotic duty to vote, no matter how I feel about the measure or the candidate. I definitely belong to the camp of "if you don't vote, you don't get to complain about the results". In 2016, I really struggled with the available options and while many opted out of voting, I chose the lesser of the evils and tried to vote with my conscience. Nonetheless, I was still grateful for the opportunity.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I thought the OP was clear on this, but I'm specifically interested in voting as a citizen in elections. The podcast I referenced made some interesting associations. I was curious to see if they hold up.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I thought the OP was clear on this, but I'm specifically interested in voting as a citizen in elections. The podcast I referenced made some interesting associations. I was curious to see if they hold up.
    Sorry, didn't mean to derail.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not sure how I fit in with your liberaraian/authoritarian, progressive/conservative spectrum, but I view voting as a responsibility- and as a imperfect method of choosing those who govern our society.

It relies on a well informed & politically engaged population (you can be both and hold differing views to me, naturally), and I also vehemently disagree with some forms of political donations. I do not believe that a politician/party ‘in the pocket’ of corporations/industry will have my, societies nor the environments best interests at heart.

I also think that a two party system- such as you have in the US, but also to a lesser extent here in the UK due to a first past the post voting system- lessens the choice and therefore reduces voting to a ‘lesser of two evils’ exercise rather than allowing us to vote for a person/party who best represents our interests/views as we see them.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ke7ejx View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to derail.
    You didn't. I just saw some posts about voting in other contexts and wanted to make sure the voting-related discussion (and especially the poll) stayed focus on the act of voting as a citizen. Other tangential issues are more than welcome.

Sooner or later, we all know we'll end up discussing CP's grammar/spelling Nazi tendencies...

-Martin Luther King