Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voting is a right

9 52.94%
  • Voting is a privilege

6 35.29%
  • Voting is a responsibility

13 76.47%
  • Voting is Something else (explain in thread)

3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Do You See Voting?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    So your suggesting that a local politician might pander to criminals in jail to gain a seat?
    As a block, not individually. If "prisoners" were allowed to vote, it's pretty reasonable to assume that a "tough on crime" candidate would not benefit so much as an "inclusive" candidate would.

Somehow, it seems to me, that would quickly become a means of attacking them politically.
    If somebody is already known as "soft on crime", that's already a point of attack.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Somebody I know posed this thought recently (and I'm paraphrasing):

"My citizenship is in heaven, not on earth. I have no right to interfere in the kingdoms on earth for that reason, and that means no voting."

That sounds pious, but I don't think it logically follows. (Although you could make an argument based on 2 Timothy 2:4).

It made me think, but I wasn't ultimately convinced to give up voting. I kind of have a hard time envisioning Jesus voting though. Others may disagree, but that's just me.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Somebody I know posed this thought recently (and I'm paraphrasing):

"My citizenship is in heaven, not on earth. I have no right to interfere in the kingdoms on earth for that reason, and that means no voting."

That sounds pious, but I don't think it logically follows. (Although you could make an argument based on 2 Timothy 2:4).

It made me think, but I wasn't ultimately convinced to give up voting. I kind of have a hard time envisioning Jesus voting though. Others may disagree, but that's just me.
    My thought is that as Christians we are supposed to be an influence for Good in the world, to represent God's Kingdom and values and promote them. In most free countries that would include using voting to promote those values.