Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Transgenderism on the Good Doctor

  1. #11
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,946
    Amen (Given)
    12
    Amen (Received)
    273
    Christo-thought and Christian apologetics is not sophisticated enough to deal with these complex issues.

    https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.o...brain-disagree
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  2. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    Thanks Old Man... Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,538
    Amen (Given)
    6916
    Amen (Received)
    7182
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Christo-thought and Christian apologetics is not sophisticated enough to deal with these complex issues.

    https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.o...brain-disagree
    You are just a gem to talk to...


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  4. #13
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,564
    Amen (Given)
    18987
    Amen (Received)
    6145
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Christo-thought and Christian apologetics is not sophisticated enough to deal with these complex issues.

    https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.o...brain-disagree
    This is no different than any other mental illness.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  5. #14
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,894
    Amen (Given)
    2312
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This is no different than any other mental illness.
    Seems bold of you to acknowledge Christianity as a mental illness.

  6. #15
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,946
    Amen (Given)
    12
    Amen (Received)
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    You are just a gem to talk to...
    Liberals are known to be generally more exploratory, open and accepting of innovative ideas than conservatives. As a conservative mind infused with magical thinking grows older and the world changes around him he inevitably becomes more schizoid. Then the religion tells him where he should anchor himself so that he may push away everything else. And in doing so he pushes against reality.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  7. #16
    Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Corryton
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,321
    Amen (Given)
    285
    Amen (Received)
    2588
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Not at all. People tend to crave power. Redefining marriage gives more power to the State and less power to the people ultimately.

    You're now dealing with a different generation of people who have different views to the generation who came before them. I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of year ago, shortly before he died, a man who'd been a prominent gay activist in my city in the 70s and 80s. I imagine his goals were probably limited to tolerance and acceptance of himself and others. However, I see zero reason why the views he held should be at all binding on my own political philosophy.

    So when you say that the "left" used to do X and now does Y, what it really means is that overall most people who identified as "left" however many decades ago it was, thought X, and now at the current time the majority of people who identify as "left" think Y. But you disingenuously phrase it as if the "left" is a singular monolithic entity that exists over time and that therefore any change in its position is some sort of trick on its part.
    None of this denies the point. Today, the group that pushed tolerance is not having any tolerance towards those who disagree with them and demanding immediate acceptance and affirmation.

    I could understand the Gospel of tolerance if its proponents would practice it.

    With a dictionary.
    Which is a non-answer. A dictionary is not necessarily a philosophical definition and I take it as a way to show that you have not really thought this through.

    It is nice to hear you don't support such nasty treatment of gay kids. I was dismayed, after reading an article about the mistreatment of gay kids in America by their Christian families, and posting a thread on it on this site a year or two ago, just how many 'Christians' on this site were supportive of such horrible treatment of gay kids by their families.

    However, the same type of 'logic' these Christians were using to justify their behavior to themselves is what I see you using in the case of your approach to transgender issues. That is, rather than approach the issue with humility and compassion and simply be kind to the kids and the people involved, you've decided that due to your high level of arrogant belief in yourself as having all the answers via your 'logical' analysis of the issue such that you know better than scientists and clinical psychology experts, that it's actually 'truly loving' to do what most people would regard as being a jerk to these people by trying to insist that you force your 'solution' on them by trying to force them to conform to the gender of their bodies.
    Except I'm not forcing. Having an opinion on an issue is not forcing. I guess you must be a great proponent of "tolerance" then. There is plenty of debate in the scientific world on this and there is much that is political involved.

  8. Amen Jedidiah, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  9. #17
    Thanks Old Man... Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,538
    Amen (Given)
    6916
    Amen (Received)
    7182
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Liberals are known to be generally more exploratory, open and accepting of innovative ideas than conservatives.
    Perhaps, but you're just a weirdo

    As a conservative mind infused with magical thinking grows older and the world changes around him he inevitably becomes more schizoid.
    Irony meters everywhere just atomized...

    Then the religion tells him where he should anchor himself so that he may push away everything else. And in doing so he pushes against reality.
    Which that same reality you don't even have a passing acquaintance with...


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  10. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
  11. #18
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,894
    Amen (Given)
    2312
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    People tend to crave power.
    Do you? I'm inclined to read this as sheer projection on your part.

    Redefining marriage gives more power to the State and less power to the people ultimately.
    I'm going to take this statement as some sort of crazed propaganistic claim on your part unless you can actually show me some details of countries that have done this and how this works. You were previously wrongly smearing communist countries in general as destroying the family, not because any communist countries had ever actually done that or had actually taken any anti-family actions, but because of your own misreading of the Communist Manifesto. At this point I'm inclined to believe you're a nutter who makes totally baseless allegations about how states that have never done anything anti-family or anti-marriage are Totally Anti-Family And Anti-Marriage Because They Love Power.

    Today, the group that pushed tolerance is not having any tolerance towards those who disagree with them and demanding immediate acceptance and affirmation.
    It's not the same 'group', as I just explained.

    I could understand the Gospel of tolerance if its proponents would practice it.
    I imagine its proponents do practice it. I'm not one of its proponents. You idiots had ~40 years of tolerance of your evil, as the liberals of the ~1960-2000 period were enthusiastic about tolerance. As far as I'm personally concerned, that gave you plenty of time to adapt your views to be less awful and horrific toward other people, and I see little reason to give you any further exemptions for your horribleness, so IMO if you won't stop being nasty to others on your own and voluntarily, it's time to start hitting you with increasing legal sanctions until you get the message.

    A dictionary is not necessarily a philosophical definition
    When I use words I try and stick to the common dictionary definitions. I am not a fan of technical philosophical redefinitions of words. If you can't explain what you mean with normal words, then my suspicion is that you're probably twisting your definitions up into pretzels until up means down and black means white.

    I take it as a way to show that you have not really thought this through.

  12. #19
    Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Corryton
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,321
    Amen (Given)
    285
    Amen (Received)
    2588
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Do you? I'm inclined to read this as sheer projection on your part.
    Based on what?

    I'm going to take this statement as some sort of crazed propaganistic claim on your part unless you can actually show me some details of countries that have done this and how this works.
    How about this country? Already if a person who has their own business cannot in good conscience cater a gay wedding or make a gay wedding cake, the state comes out against them. The same thing happens with no-fault divorce. If some partner suddenly wants out with no reason whatsoever other than they want out, the state takes the side of the person wanting out. The family is a unit that does not require the state for its existence. That's a threat to the state.

    You were previously wrongly smearing communist countries in general as destroying the family, not because any communist countries had ever actually done that or had actually taken any anti-family actions, but because of your own misreading of the Communist Manifesto. At this point I'm inclined to believe you're a nutter who makes totally baseless allegations about how states that have never done anything anti-family or anti-marriage are Totally Anti-Family And Anti-Marriage Because They Love Power.
    Except numerous people showed up and did indeed back that yes, this is what has happened in Communist countries. Of course, if you want to call me a nutter, well considering the source, I take that as a compliment.

    It's not the same 'group', as I just explained.
    If anything, it's a worse group with a greater ideology of entitlement. It's the mindset that was written about in After The Ball. Tolerance has been pushed as a great virtue, but it's not so great that those who have been promoting it seem to want to practice it.

    I imagine its proponents do practice it. I'm not one of its proponents. You idiots had ~40 years of tolerance of your evil, as the liberals of the ~1960-2000 period were enthusiastic about tolerance. As far as I'm personally concerned, that gave you plenty of time to adapt your views to be less awful and horrific toward other people, and I see little reason to give you any further exemptions for your horribleness, so IMO if you won't stop being nasty to others on your own and voluntarily, it's time to start hitting you with increasing legal sanctions until you get the message.
    Says the person who thinks someone wanting power was projection. Nice to know how you would use that power. Shut down people that you disagree with. Thanks for at least taking the mask off. You would have no hesitancy to use power to go after those of us who disagree and yet in the same post ask why the state would be interested in doing this.

    When I use words I try and stick to the common dictionary definitions. I am not a fan of technical philosophical redefinitions of words. If you can't explain what you mean with normal words, then my suspicion is that you're probably twisting your definitions up into pretzels until up means down and black means white.
    Yes. It would be awful to do the work of studying the topic for yourself. No. I don't go by the dictionary definition. The dictionary definition tells you what popular culture means by it and sometimes, that culture is wrong.

    Yes. I find it amusing Starlight thinks it's funny that he's told he hasn't thought about his position.

    I just figured it was obvious.

  13. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  14. #20
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,186
    Amen (Given)
    811
    Amen (Received)
    2363
    This is an area I have to admit I struggle with Church teachings. I tend to hold the opinion that both sex and gender are social constructions, though that sentence doesn't fully cover the complexity of the situation. Nothing about postmodernism can be properly summed up in one sentence, except probably this one. This is completely at odds with the Catholic teachings that hold to the essential nature of sex as it relates to human identity.

    I hold to the Church's view in the end, but it is purely one I hold out of loyalty and faith. I don't think Church's rational arguments are as strong as Nick makes it seem. He's preaching the choir on tweb though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •