ATMs are EVIL!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Today, I told a student to just tack a zero on the end instead of reaching for a calculator to multiply by ten.

*sigh*
    When I was a kid, all the buzz was about "converting to the metric system". Supposedly, this was imminent, and would require me to totally change my thinking before high school. Having worked in construction, using both systems, I wish we had made the conversion way back then! Metric math is so much easier.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I used to work in a bank, and it makes me crazy to get handed cash, from anybody, but especially from the bank, that the bills are all cocky-wompus!

That was not allowed back then! All the bills in my wallet to this day are in order from smallest to largest and all facing the same direction.

Another thing that bugs me immensely is when a clerk just hands you a wad of cash, including coins, instead of counting the change out into your hand. Then you either have to stand there and count it, while the customers behind you get impatient, or walk away with it and then if it's wrong you've got to prove that you didn't mess with it after you walked away.

Or shove it in your wallet and not bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Today, I told a student to just tack a zero on the end instead of reaching for a calculator to multiply by ten.

*sigh*
          Or in the case of a decimal number, just shove the decimal point one place to the right. Easy stuff.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Have you all heard about the money system transitioning to hexadecimal to make it more compatible with computers?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              Have you all heard about the money system transitioning to hexadecimal to make it more compatible with computers?
              No, I haven't. But I can't see the concept of $16 and $32 bills being the sort of thing that would easily roll off the tongue.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Never happens to me. If I were you, I'd just assume God hates me.

Do you ever have a cashier try to give you change ... on top of the bills? I like to amuse myself by just dumping the change back onto the counter and watch as they scramble to pick it up.
                At my usual supermarket, the cashier doesn't even handle the change - it gets spit out by machine into a little dish.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  At my usual supermarket, the cashier doesn't even handle the change - it gets spit out by machine into a little dish.
                  Who the heck even pays with cash? I have $20 in my wallet that has been there for at least 2 months. I pay everything using my debit card.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                    No, I haven't. But I can't see the concept of $16 and $32 bills being the sort of thing that would easily roll off the tongue.
                    ah. the $16 hex would be a $22 decimal dollars and $32 hex would be equivalent to $50 decimal dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      When I was a kid, all the buzz was about "converting to the metric system". Supposedly, this was imminent, and would require me to totally change my thinking before high school. Having worked in construction, using both systems, I wish we had made the conversion way back then! Metric math is so much easier.
                      Metric is about way more than base 10. One gallon of water? I dunno, 8 pounds? Wait, is that lbm or lbf, and how does that translate into slugs? Give me a couple minutes and I'll tell you. And horsepower? Really?

One liter of water? One kg of mass. One Newton of weight? Give me one watt and I'll lift it one meter in one second.

Comment

Who the heck even pays with cash? I have $20 in my wallet that has been there for at least 2 months. I pay everything using my debit card.
                        Two words: Rewards cards. And two more, times two: Automatic payments, full balance.

Comment

Two words: Rewards cards. And two more, times two: Automatic payments, full balance.
                          as far as my monthly bills go (utilities, phone), I do pay them automatically each month with a rewards credit card, which I then pay in full each month with my checking acct. Using quicken and Electronic Transfers.

I don't use cash much at all any more except for vending machines and even those are starting to take debit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I have seen that, but only the coins. They still have to hand out the paper where I have seen it.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

as far as my monthly bills go (utilities, phone), I do pay them automatically each month with a rewards credit card, which I then pay in full each month with my checking acct. Using quicken and Electronic Transfers.

I don't use cash much at all any more except for vending machines and even those are starting to take debit cards.
                              We pay most with Credit Card and pay it off each month. We get air miles that way.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                I have seen that, but only the coins. They still have to hand out the paper where I have seen it.
                                The self-checkouts at Walmart here spit out the coins and the bills come out of a slot.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment