Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Party spirit - and the Geisler controversies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party spirit - and the Geisler controversies

One of the sins that Paul mentions that we don't think a whole lot about is party spirit (like in Galatians 5:19-21). This is also sometimes translated as "factions". The point is that churches shouldn't have separate factions that are clawing at each other.

I have been thinking of this in light of the Norman Geisler controversies. I have been involved in the discussions here and on Facebook, and I've noticed a lot of us are angry at him (I don't think this is unjustified). But sometimes I wonder if we take it too far, with jokes, snide comments, etc. I do believe that a Christian can and should stand up for justice when a Christian brother is being wronged. But there a point at which we're verging into party spirit when making fun of him and his allies?

To be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't stand up when he's slandering other Christians (and I think it's fair to say that he has been using outright slander in some instances)... but I'm honestly asking about how he go about it and whether our hearts are always in the right place.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I suppose it would be childish to say he started it?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      I suppose it would be childish to say he started it?
      Paul doesn't seem to distinguish between who started it and who didn't. But on the other hand, he does seem to say that some people can be right in disputes in 1 Corinthians 11:18.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He had supported defended and lied for a liar in the pulpit. That is a necessary division. He uses his position of respect to bully people.
        The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Do you realize I was being silly?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I have been thinking of this in light of the Norman Geisler controversies. I have been involved in the discussions here and on Facebook, and I've noticed a lot of us are angry at him (I don't think this is unjustified). But sometimes I wonder if we take it too far, with jokes, snide comments, etc. I do believe that a Christian can and should stand up for justice when a Christian brother is being wronged. But there a point at which we're verging into party spirit when making fun of him and his allies?
            Are you planning to bring up any actual examples? Else the most you'll get is vague, general noises.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              Are you planning to bring up any actual examples? Else the most you'll get is vague, general noises.
              I don't think I ought to be sharing posts from a non-public FB group. Or are you asking about examples of slander?

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                He had supported defended and lied for a liar in the pulpit. That is a necessary division. He uses his position of respect to bully people.
                I am starting to think that might be what the 11 Corinthians passage might be about.

Comment

You can confidentiality it. Like phrase it as a hypothetical and change the names. Maybe?

Comment

I'm looking for a more general discussion of how these things should be handled rather than a "is this post ok? what about this one?" type thing.

Comment

IDK, but it does sound like a case by case basis. Though, what would I know? I'm in my 20's.

Comment

I think people who are overly concerned with matters such as these probably have too much time on their hands or their zealousness is misplaced.

"Norman Geisler defended a proven liar" OK so he's in the wrong...and? Why not just ignore all that and take what good he did for the Church and carry on. Let the issues remain issues for the people involved and mind your own business type-thing.

Although I would encourage people to disregard what I am saying and see what good comes out of it. I honestly mean that, perhaps there is some good that will come out of it to involve oneself in matters such as these. I have found the opposite to be true though.

Comment

Because liars in the pulpit matter. I don't trust a word he writes any more. You can't serve the Truth and spread lies. Lies to our freakin armed services!! God man, where are your priorities! There is no good that comes from that.

sigpic

Comment

On a related note, Caner sued a fellow SBC pastor and lost. Badly.

http://www.witnessesuntome.com/2014/...age-to-return/

Anyone who can watch the presentation to the Marines, knowing it is a big lie, and then defend the people involved in the coverup.... Ain't right in the head.

Oh and supports a man who calls the people who are calling him to repentance pagans--- and boasts about his defiance and unrepentance.

Anyone who thinks caring about that is misplaced zeal.... Well, we don't have the same faith. Two radically different world views. Not questioning salvation. But I do not ally myself with that.

If I am ever sinned against, Jesus spare me from all "mind your own business" types. The only ones who benefit are the wrongdoers, and that isn't Biblical or justice.
                            Last edited by Darth Xena; 04-18-2014, 07:45 PM.

sigpic

Comment

For anyone ignorant of the magnitude of the lies and cult of celebrity

http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2014...lation-of.html

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X