Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: female self-made billionaires

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

female self-made billionaires

Can anyone think of any female self-made billionaires? By self-made I mean they didn't already start with wealth in the billions. It's ok if they inherited small (but still pricey) companies and built them up themselves into multi-billion affairs. Obv even better if they just started off with practically nothing.

Going through the forbes richest people in the world Gina Rinehart is the first one who shows up (at #91). There are other women, but pretty much all of them inherited their wealth from their father or husband.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oprah and JK Rowling come to mind.

3. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oprah counts. Rowling isn't a billionaire anymore.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Can anyone think of any female self-made billionaires? By self-made I mean they didn't already start with wealth in the billions. It's ok if they inherited small (but still pricey) companies and built them up themselves into multi-billion affairs. Obv even better if they just started off with practically nothing.

Going through the forbes richest people in the world Gina Rinehart is the first one who shows up (at #91). There are other women, but pretty much all of them inherited their wealth from their father or husband.
    What number are you on the Forbes list Darth?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure how accurate their idea of being "self made" is, but here's a list from Forbes:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloeso...itive-ranking/

7. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post

Actually Gina Rinehart inherited her fortune from her father Lang Hancock, Australia's richest man at one time. JK Rowing is thought to be back in the billionaire class given the success of her film 'Fantastic Beasts'. But there will certainly be more male billionaires than female because, until relatively recently, women were regarded merely as chattels to be kept "barefoot, pregnant, and slaving over a hot stove", not starting and running businesses.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Jennifer Lopez?
    Mountain Man: A skin cell is a skin cell. It doesn't grow, it doesn't organize, it doesn't adapt, it doesn't self-sustain, it doesn't metabolize, it doesn't respond to stimuli.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    How do you know they are female?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Check out Hetty Green, the "Witch of Wall Street," who died in 1916. The richest woman in the world at her time, the equivalent of a multi-billionaire in our day. A really tragic case, the richest woman in the world, she and her children living like they were in poverty because she didn't want to spend on her money.

12. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Check out Hetty Green, the "Witch of Wall Street," who died in 1916. The richest woman in the world at her time, the equivalent of a multi-billionaire in our day. A really tragic case, the richest woman in the world, she and her children living like they were in poverty because she didn't want to spend on her money.
    She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and inherited nearly 80 million dollars. I wouldn't call that self-made.