Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Best TV Streaming

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36,968
    Amen (Given)
    8227
    Amen (Received)
    19206

    Best TV Streaming

    So, I'm abandoning U-Verse, and already have Netflix. Which of the streaming TV services do you like best, and why? Sling, Hulu....?

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  2. #2
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    34,852
    Amen (Given)
    3092
    Amen (Received)
    17010
    I have been researching this lately and found this article comparing all of the various streaming services and what channels each has, etc.

    https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

    My conclusion is that the services are not there yet. Each of them has various channels that the others don't and lacks channels that the other do have. Basically to get everything I want I would have to buy at least 2 of the different streaming services, plus pay each one for an "extra" package and then I would be right back up there at the same price as my cable and have the added complexity of having to deal with different online services to watch the shows I want to watch - on cable I have everything in one place and can record what I want to (I don't think the streaming services let you fast forward through ads like you can do with cable DVR recordings)

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36,968
    Amen (Given)
    8227
    Amen (Received)
    19206
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have been researching this lately and found this article comparing all of the various streaming services and what channels each has, etc.

    https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

    My conclusion is that the services are not there yet. Each of them has various channels that the others don't and lacks channels that the other do have. Basically to get everything I want I would have to buy at least 2 of the different streaming services, plus pay each one for an "extra" package and then I would be right back up there at the same price as my cable and have the added complexity of having to deal with different online services to watch the shows I want to watch - on cable I have everything in one place and can record what I want to (I don't think the streaming services let you fast forward through ads like you can do with cable DVR recordings)
    I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  4. #4
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,402
    Amen (Given)
    1311
    Amen (Received)
    1462
    So what I did was buy a good antenna and a Silicon dust HD Homerun dual channel and connected it to my Windows 7 HTPC with a 1 TB external HDD to DVR our local channels. I pay $12 for full Netflix and my daughter pays for Hulu. So far, I still prefer Netflix but I probably need to check out a couple of others for streaming. There may be some that are better. It's getting harder to find good stuff on Netflix...however Mrs. LJ and I are enjoying the old Andy Griffth Show and The old Dick Van Dyke show! My granddaughter likes them too!

  5. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36,968
    Amen (Given)
    8227
    Amen (Received)
    19206
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    So what I did was buy a good antenna and a Silicon dust HD Homerun dual channel and connected it to my Windows 7 HTPC with a 1 TB external HDD to DVR our local channels. I pay $12 for full Netflix and my daughter pays for Hulu. So far, I still prefer Netflix but I probably need to check out a couple of others for streaming. There may be some that are better. It's getting harder to find good stuff on Netflix...however Mrs. LJ and I are enjoying the old Andy Griffth Show and The old Dick Van Dyke show! My granddaughter likes them too!
    Yeah, I forgot I have Netflix - and was way underusing it til I got an Amazon Fire TV Stick -- and I HAVE used a HD TV antenna in the past, and picked up quite a few channels, including the locals...

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  6. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    34,852
    Amen (Given)
    3092
    Amen (Received)
    17010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....
    looks like one of the hangups I have is the Discovery Channel. Seems like the only one that has it is DirecTV and Playstation vue. But then DirectTV doesn't have CBS, Playstation doens't have the History channel, and so on.

  7. #7
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,168
    Amen (Given)
    11858
    Amen (Received)
    6801
    Netflix here is crap. I haven't tried anything else.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  8. #8
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36,968
    Amen (Given)
    8227
    Amen (Received)
    19206
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Netflix here is crap. I haven't tried anything else.
    Wife and I started out watching a couple Netflix series, and the first few episodes would be good, then it seemed each following episode got darker and added in some profanity and....

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  9. #9
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    33,973
    Amen (Given)
    788
    Amen (Received)
    13818
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....
    I noticed that Sling has few if any channels I watch

    I'm always still in trouble again

  10. #10
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36,968
    Amen (Given)
    8227
    Amen (Received)
    19206
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I noticed that Sling has few if any channels I watch
    I'm doing the 7 day free trial - we shall see.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •