Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best TV Streaming

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Best TV Streaming

So, I'm abandoning U-Verse, and already have Netflix. Which of the streaming TV services do you like best, and why? Sling, Hulu....?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have been researching this lately and found this article comparing all of the various streaming services and what channels each has, etc.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

My conclusion is that the services are not there yet. Each of them has various channels that the others don't and lacks channels that the other do have. Basically to get everything I want I would have to buy at least 2 of the different streaming services, plus pay each one for an "extra" package and then I would be right back up there at the same price as my cable and have the added complexity of having to deal with different online services to watch the shows I want to watch - on cable I have everything in one place and can record what I want to (I don't think the streaming services let you fast forward through ads like you can do with cable DVR recordings)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have been researching this lately and found this article comparing all of the various streaming services and what channels each has, etc.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

My conclusion is that the services are not there yet. Each of them has various channels that the others don't and lacks channels that the other do have. Basically to get everything I want I would have to buy at least 2 of the different streaming services, plus pay each one for an "extra" package and then I would be right back up there at the same price as my cable and have the added complexity of having to deal with different online services to watch the shows I want to watch - on cable I have everything in one place and can record what I want to (I don't think the streaming services let you fast forward through ads like you can do with cable DVR recordings)
    I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So what I did was buy a good antenna and a Silicon dust HD Homerun dual channel and connected it to my Windows 7 HTPC with a 1 TB external HDD to DVR our local channels. I pay $12 for full Netflix and my daughter pays for Hulu. So far, I still prefer Netflix but I probably need to check out a couple of others for streaming. There may be some that are better. It's getting harder to find good stuff on Netflix...however Mrs. LJ and I are enjoying the old Andy Griffth Show and The old Dick Van Dyke show! My granddaughter likes them too!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    So what I did was buy a good antenna and a Silicon dust HD Homerun dual channel and connected it to my Windows 7 HTPC with a 1 TB external HDD to DVR our local channels. I pay $12 for full Netflix and my daughter pays for Hulu. So far, I still prefer Netflix but I probably need to check out a couple of others for streaming. There may be some that are better. It's getting harder to find good stuff on Netflix...however Mrs. LJ and I are enjoying the old Andy Griffth Show and The old Dick Van Dyke show! My granddaughter likes them too!
    Yeah, I forgot I have Netflix - and was way underusing it til I got an Amazon Fire TV Stick -- and I HAVE used a HD TV antenna in the past, and picked up quite a few channels, including the locals...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....
    looks like one of the hangups I have is the Discovery Channel. Seems like the only one that has it is DirecTV and Playstation vue. But then DirectTV doesn't have CBS, Playstation doens't have the History channel, and so on.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Netflix here is crap. I haven't tried anything else.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Netflix here is crap. I haven't tried anything else.
    Wife and I started out watching a couple Netflix series, and the first few episodes would be good, then it seemed each following episode got darker and added in some profanity and....

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I noticed that Sling has few if any channels I watch

I'm always still in trouble again

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I noticed that Sling has few if any channels I watch
    I'm doing the 7 day free trial - we shall see.