Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best TV Streaming

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Wife and I started out watching a couple Netflix series, and the first few episodes would be good, then it seemed each following episode got darker and added in some profanity and....

Yes.

And there is only about a third of the content of US Netflix, which limits our viewing even more. I've found a few good series, but let's face it.....the culture has made too many inroads into tv in general.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is a program called "Playon" that I have (www.playon.tv) that acts as an aggregator. It will store the information for all of your various streaming services and channels (free and premium) and lets you record any show like a DVR and stores it locally on your computer for later watching. So you could have Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, CBS, AMC and all of those different "apps" and accounts stored and then this program goes through and records it to your hard drive so all of your various stuff is in one place. It is slow though because it does some sort of real time recording. It goes to the service and plays the video you selected and then records it as it plays (invisible to you). A 2 hour movie could take 3 hours to record because it also encodes the video as it records. It says it can skip commercials too.

I haven't tried it much except recording some on demand movies to watch later.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you're an Amazon Prime member, don't forget to check out Amazon Prime Video. I use Netflix, Prime Video, I'm trying Hulu, and I have a streaming service through Charter. Thinking about cancelling Charter, though, as I rarely watch it. I've used Sling before, which I liked decently well. If I cancel Charter I'll probably add Sling back into the mix (and still save money). I watch all this on a Roku, which I really like. Also I've discovered a free TV/movie app on Roku called Pluto TV. For a free service, it's pretty nice.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, I've been playing with Sling TV, using my Amazon Fire Stick. The frustrating thing was that you have to have a remote to turn on the TV, change the input source, then the Amazon remote for navigating the various "channels".

THEN I found the "Sidekick", and it makes way more sense. You use your TV's original remote (or your functioning DirecTV or U-Verse remote) to "train" the buttons on the Sidekick that attaches directly to your Fire Stick.

Now, I just have this "stuck together pair" of remotes that can turn my TV on/off, manage volume up/down, mute, input source, and another button I haven't programmed yet.

sidekick.jpg

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't understand anything you just said.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I don't understand anything you just said.
    word

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, I've been playing with Sling TV, using my Amazon Fire Stick. The frustrating thing was that you have to have a remote to turn on the TV, change the input source, then the Amazon remote for navigating the various "channels".

THEN I found the "Sidekick", and it makes way more sense. You use your TV's original remote (or your functioning DirecTV or U-Verse remote) to "train" the buttons on the Sidekick that attaches directly to your Fire Stick.

Now, I just have this "stuck together pair" of remotes that can turn my TV on/off, manage volume up/down, mute, input source, and another button I haven't programmed yet.

sidekick.jpg

I have a logitech harmony remote that lets you control anything and automates the startup. You set up "activities" like "Watch TV" turns on the TV, sets the correct input to the cable box (which is always on), then turns on my surround system, and the remote is set up to control the cable box for channel, menu, play fast forward, etc, the volume controls the surround sound system. Then I have one for "fireTV" which sets the input to the firestick, the surround input, then configures the remote for the firestick.

It even works with my amazon echo so I can tell it to "Alexa, watch fire TV" "Alexa, play Longmire" etc.

Here is what I have:
    gallery-1-black.jpg
    https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...e-home?crid=60

but I got it a lot cheaper than $350.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have an

• Apple TV (1st Generation)
    • Fire TV Stick
    • and a Roku Premiere.

So far of all three I think the Roku is the best. The Roku will do 4K video but I don't have a 4k TV to test it with, but the 1080P picture is better than the fire tv stick and the Apple TV. And it has way more "channels" or streaming services you can put on it. And it seems faster in reaction. My firetv stick seems slow sometimes in refreshing the page and sometimes Netflix will "stutter" - but everything on the Roku works smoothly and quickly. The Apple TV works well too but it is getting pretty old now. I put it in my bedroom (retired it).

So mainly I am using the Roku to watch stuff. The firetv stick is still useful because it is portable and I can take it on trips. Plus it plays games.