Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Best TV Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I don't understand anything you just said.
    word
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      So, I've been playing with Sling TV, using my Amazon Fire Stick. The frustrating thing was that you have to have a remote to turn on the TV, change the input source, then the Amazon remote for navigating the various "channels".

THEN I found the "Sidekick", and it makes way more sense. You use your TV's original remote (or your functioning DirecTV or U-Verse remote) to "train" the buttons on the Sidekick that attaches directly to your Fire Stick.

Now, I just have this "stuck together pair" of remotes that can turn my TV on/off, manage volume up/down, mute, input source, and another button I haven't programmed yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26440[/ATTACH]

I have a logitech harmony remote that lets you control anything and automates the startup. You set up "activities" like "Watch TV" turns on the TV, sets the correct input to the cable box (which is always on), then turns on my surround system, and the remote is set up to control the cable box for channel, menu, play fast forward, etc, the volume controls the surround sound system. Then I have one for "fireTV" which sets the input to the firestick, the surround input, then configures the remote for the firestick.

It even works with my amazon echo so I can tell it to "Alexa, watch fire TV" "Alexa, play Longmire" etc.

Here is what I have:
      gallery-1-black.jpg
      https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...e-home?crid=60

but I got it a lot cheaper than $350.

Comment

I have an
        • Apple TV (1st Generation)
        • Fire TV Stick
        • and a Roku Premiere.

So far of all three I think the Roku is the best. The Roku will do 4K video but I don't have a 4k TV to test it with, but the 1080P picture is better than the fire tv stick and the Apple TV. And it has way more "channels" or streaming services you can put on it. And it seems faster in reaction. My firetv stick seems slow sometimes in refreshing the page and sometimes Netflix will "stutter" - but everything on the Roku works smoothly and quickly. The Apple TV works well too but it is getting pretty old now. I put it in my bedroom (retired it).

So mainly I am using the Roku to watch stuff. The firetv stick is still useful because it is portable and I can take it on trips. Plus it plays games.

Comment