Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Best TV Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best TV Streaming

So, I'm abandoning U-Verse, and already have Netflix. Which of the streaming TV services do you like best, and why? Sling, Hulu....?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have been researching this lately and found this article comparing all of the various streaming services and what channels each has, etc.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

My conclusion is that the services are not there yet. Each of them has various channels that the others don't and lacks channels that the other do have. Basically to get everything I want I would have to buy at least 2 of the different streaming services, plus pay each one for an "extra" package and then I would be right back up there at the same price as my cable and have the added complexity of having to deal with different online services to watch the shows I want to watch - on cable I have everything in one place and can record what I want to (I don't think the streaming services let you fast forward through ads like you can do with cable DVR recordings)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I have been researching this lately and found this article comparing all of the various streaming services and what channels each has, etc.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

My conclusion is that the services are not there yet. Each of them has various channels that the others don't and lacks channels that the other do have. Basically to get everything I want I would have to buy at least 2 of the different streaming services, plus pay each one for an "extra" package and then I would be right back up there at the same price as my cable and have the added complexity of having to deal with different online services to watch the shows I want to watch - on cable I have everything in one place and can record what I want to (I don't think the streaming services let you fast forward through ads like you can do with cable DVR recordings)
      I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So what I did was buy a good antenna and a Silicon dust HD Homerun dual channel and connected it to my Windows 7 HTPC with a 1 TB external HDD to DVR our local channels. I pay $12 for full Netflix and my daughter pays for Hulu. So far, I still prefer Netflix but I probably need to check out a couple of others for streaming. There may be some that are better. It's getting harder to find good stuff on Netflix...however Mrs. LJ and I are enjoying the old Andy Griffth Show and The old Dick Van Dyke show! My granddaughter likes them too!
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          So what I did was buy a good antenna and a Silicon dust HD Homerun dual channel and connected it to my Windows 7 HTPC with a 1 TB external HDD to DVR our local channels. I pay $12 for full Netflix and my daughter pays for Hulu. So far, I still prefer Netflix but I probably need to check out a couple of others for streaming. There may be some that are better. It's getting harder to find good stuff on Netflix...however Mrs. LJ and I are enjoying the old Andy Griffth Show and The old Dick Van Dyke show! My granddaughter likes them too!
          Yeah, I forgot I have Netflix - and was way underusing it til I got an Amazon Fire TV Stick -- and I HAVE used a HD TV antenna in the past, and picked up quite a few channels, including the locals...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I don't watch that much TV, so I'd probably get by with either Sling. Still checking. I don't have to have sports or 24 hour news....
            looks like one of the hangups I have is the Discovery Channel. Seems like the only one that has it is DirecTV and Playstation vue. But then DirectTV doesn't have CBS, Playstation doens't have the History channel, and so on.

Comment

Netflix here is crap. I haven't tried anything else.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Netflix here is crap. I haven't tried anything else.
                Wife and I started out watching a couple Netflix series, and the first few episodes would be good, then it seemed each following episode got darker and added in some profanity and....

Comment

I noticed that Sling has few if any channels I watch

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I noticed that Sling has few if any channels I watch
                    I'm doing the 7 day free trial - we shall see.

Comment

Wife and I started out watching a couple Netflix series, and the first few episodes would be good, then it seemed each following episode got darker and added in some profanity and....

Yes.

And there is only about a third of the content of US Netflix, which limits our viewing even more. I've found a few good series, but let's face it.....the culture has made too many inroads into tv in general.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

There is a program called "Playon" that I have (www.playon.tv) that acts as an aggregator. It will store the information for all of your various streaming services and channels (free and premium) and lets you record any show like a DVR and stores it locally on your computer for later watching. So you could have Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, CBS, AMC and all of those different "apps" and accounts stored and then this program goes through and records it to your hard drive so all of your various stuff is in one place. It is slow though because it does some sort of real time recording. It goes to the service and plays the video you selected and then records it as it plays (invisible to you). A 2 hour movie could take 3 hours to record because it also encodes the video as it records. It says it can skip commercials too.

I haven't tried it much except recording some on demand movies to watch later.

Comment

If you're an Amazon Prime member, don't forget to check out Amazon Prime Video. I use Netflix, Prime Video, I'm trying Hulu, and I have a streaming service through Charter. Thinking about cancelling Charter, though, as I rarely watch it. I've used Sling before, which I liked decently well. If I cancel Charter I'll probably add Sling back into the mix (and still save money). I watch all this on a Roku, which I really like. Also I've discovered a free TV/movie app on Roku called Pluto TV. For a free service, it's pretty nice.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

So, I've been playing with Sling TV, using my Amazon Fire Stick. The frustrating thing was that you have to have a remote to turn on the TV, change the input source, then the Amazon remote for navigating the various "channels".

THEN I found the "Sidekick", and it makes way more sense. You use your TV's original remote (or your functioning DirecTV or U-Verse remote) to "train" the buttons on the Sidekick that attaches directly to your Fire Stick.

Now, I just have this "stuck together pair" of remotes that can turn my TV on/off, manage volume up/down, mute, input source, and another button I haven't programmed yet.

sidekick.jpg

Comment

I don't understand anything you just said.

Comment