Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Who is "in" the Body?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    [I]n Molinism, you decided to accept Jesus when you were 40, and then God knew it. As I understand Molinist thought, though God knew you would accept Jesus chronologically prior to you doing so, but you did so ontologically prior to God's knowledge. [I]n someone like Craig's view of Molinism, God ordered the world so that the most people who could come to saving faith would do so, but I'm not so certain that God selects for who makes that choice (making sure that you, personally, get the chance), only that the most who will, will do so. I don't know. It's a fine distinction I suppose, but the phrase "we were saved before we believed" just sounds off to me (even with passages like Jeremiah 1:5, and Galatians 1:15 which seem to indicate sanctification, but not salvation). Perhaps I'm just overthinking it though. [emphasis added]
    The closest theological position that I am aware of that corresponds to what Sparko has propounded in messages #52 and #55 (above) is an aberrant teaching known as ‘eternal justification’ (EJ). I will leave it to those who might be interested to conduct an online search to read further on this doctrine. The primary difference between Sparko’s view and EJ is that it is (1) non-Calvinistic in nature, and (2) based on divine foreknowledge of the human response (understood in the libertarian, non-deterministic sense). For my response to this problematic view, see message #80 (above).

A word on Calvinism’s understanding of divine foreknowledge: Strict/high Calvinists maintain that God’s foreknowledge, whilst exhaustive, is wholly reliant upon the foreordination of God, which likewise is considered to be all-encompassing. Consequently, according to this view, each and every human response, positive or negative, to heed the invitation of the good news of salvation in Christ was determined by God prior to the actual creation of the world. This position may be simplified and summarised in this manner: God foreknows because God has foreordained.
    Last edited by The Remonstrant; 02-20-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    The closest theological position that I am aware of that corresponds to what Sparko has propounded in messages #52 and #55 (above) is an aberrant teaching known as ‘eternal justification’ (EJ). I will leave it to those who might be interested to conduct an online search to read further on this doctrine. The primary difference between Sparko’s view and EJ is that it is (1) non-Calvinistic in nature, and (2) based on divine foreknowledge of the human response (understood in the libertarian, non-deterministic sense). For my response to this problematic view, see message #80 (above).

A word on Calvinism’s understanding of divine foreknowledge: Strict/high Calvinists maintain that God’s foreknowledge, whilst exhaustive, is wholly reliant upon the foreordination of God, which likewise is considered to be all-encompassing. Consequently, according to this view, each and every human response, positive or negative, to heed the invitation of the good news of salvation in Christ was determined by God prior to the actual creation of the world. This position may be simplified and summarised in this manner: God foreknows because God has foreordained.
    Interesting. Thanks for the insight Remonstrant.

As an aside, I'm not too fond of having my posts corrected for grammar either, so if you wouldn't mind, I'd rather you just quote the post as I've written it. Thanks!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the insight Remonstrant.

As an aside, I'm not too fond of having my posts corrected for grammar either, so if you wouldn't mind, I'd rather you just quote the post as I've written it. Thanks!
    Apart from a possible lapse of memory, I will honour your request.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

4. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.