Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

King Solomon and Deuteronomy 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Christian 3,

There is another verse:

14If you fear the Lord and serve and obey him and do not rebel against his commands, and if both you and the king who reigns over you follow the Lord your God—good! 15But if you do not obey the Lord, and if you rebel against his commands, his hand will be against you, as it was against your ancestors.

16“Now then, stand still and see this great thing the Lord is about to do before your eyes! 17Is it not wheat harvest now? I will call on the Lord to send thunder and rain. And you will realize what an evil thing you did in the eyes of the Lord when you asked for a king.”

18Then Samuel called on the Lord, and that same day the Lord sent thunder and rain. So all the people stood in awe of the Lord and of Samuel.

19The people all said to Samuel, “Pray to the Lord your God for your servants so that we will not die, for we have added to all our other sins the evil of asking for a king.”

20“Do not be afraid,” Samuel replied. You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. 21Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. 22For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was pleased to make you his own. 23As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. 24But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you. 25Yet if you persist in doing evil, both you and your king will perish.”

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The promise isn't talking about the punishment of the individual person who worships idols. It's about Israel as a whole. Eventually, after Solomon's lifetime, Israel did fall.
      You're right, it is about Israel as a whole and the King. What Solomon did effected the outcome of Israel but then again and, vice versa -the golden calf. The people and the king were tied together as with Moses and Aaron. What effects one will have an affect on the other - isn't God's Presence removed -afterwards, the violation of the commandment forbidding 'other gods in My Presence'? I can't think of a worse punishment - Following the episode of the golden calf, the bible records the following: " 3 Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way.”" (Exodus 33:3).

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        If King Solomon repented because he worshiped idols, then he would have been forgiven.
        Question about your comment? Especially with idol worshiping and even the cult in the old testament. In scripture and after Moses ascended to the mountain for many days, the Israelites then made a golden calf to worship because they thought Moses wasn't going to return back. When God informs Moses about the Israelites and the golden calf, Moses pleads on their behalf to God. There are two scriptural points - that seem to point toward Genesis:

line 4: "He took [them] from their hand[s], fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made it into a molten calf, upon which they said: "These are your gods, O Israel, who have brought you up from the land of Egypt!"

line 8: "They have quickly turned away from the path that I have commanded them; they have made themselves a molten calf! And they have prostrated themselves before it, slaughtered sacrifices to it, and said: 'These are your gods, O Israel, who have brought you up from the land of Egypt.' "

What makes this sin different from the offense in the garden of Eden when the serpent tempted Eve?

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

The 2nd question, repentance does have to take place (yes) but in order to bring someone to that point - what has to take place first? Can someone go from sinning and then repentance all in the same action?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X