Thread: King Solomon and Deuteronomy 13

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

King Solomon and Deuteronomy 13

Deuteronomy 13

2. If there will arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of a dream, and he gives you a sign or a wonder,

3. and the sign or the wonder of which he spoke to you happens, [and he] says, "Let us go after other gods which you have not known, and let us worship them,"

4. you shall not heed the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream; for the Lord, your God, is testing you, to know whether you really love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.

5. You shall follow the Lord, your God, fear Him, keep His commandments, heed His voice, worship Him, and cleave to Him.

6. And that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream shall be put to death; because he spoke falsehood about the Lord, your God Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and Who redeemed you from the house of bondage, to lead you astray from the way in which the Lord, your God, commanded you to go; so shall you clear away the evil from your midst.

7. If your brother, the son of your mother, tempts you in secret or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your embrace, or your friend, who is as your own soul saying, "Let us go and worship other gods, which neither you, nor your forefathers have known."

8. Of the gods of the peoples around you, [whether] near to you or far from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth;

9. You shall not desire him, and you shall not hearken to him; neither shall you pity him, have mercy upon him, nor shield him.

10. But you shall surely kill him, your hand shall be the first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

11. And you shall stone him with stones so that he dies, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

King Solomon turned to idols. How did he escape being stoned?

Thank you.

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    King
    Done.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Done.
    Are you saying a King is above the law?

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you saying a King is above the law?
    Often, effectively, yes. Also, at many points in the history of Israel, idolatry was common so we know that the law against idolatry wasn't enforced for many periods.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The data we have from the OT history books is that for most of Israel's history, the law was more or less ignored (or at best selectively followed).
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Often, effectively, yes. Also, at many points in the history of Israel, idolatry was common so we know that the law against idolatry wasn't enforced for many periods.
    What is your take on this?

9 When Solomon finished building the temple of the Lord, the royal palace, and all that Solomon desired to do, 2 the Lord appeared to Solomon a second time just as He had appeared to him at Gibeon. 3 The Lord said to him:

I have heard your prayer and petition you have made before Me. I have consecrated this temple you have built, to put My name there forever; My eyes and My heart will be there at all times.

4 As for you, if you walk before Me as your father David walked, with a heart of integrity and in what is right, doing everything I have commanded you, and if you keep My statutes and ordinances, 5 I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised your father David: You will never fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.

6 If you or your sons turn away from following Me and do not keep My commands—My statutes that I have set before you—and if you go and serve other gods and worship them, 7 I will cut off Israel from the land I gave them, and I will reject[a] the temple I have sanctified for My name. Israel will become an object of scorn and ridicule among all the peoples. 8 Though this temple is now exalted,[b] everyone who passes by will be appalled and will mock.[c] They will say: Why did the Lord do this to this land and this temple? 9 Then they will say: Because they abandoned the Lord their God who brought their ancestors out of the land of Egypt. They clung to other gods and worshiped and served them. Because of this, the Lord brought all this ruin on them.

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What is your take on this?

9 When Solomon finished building the temple of the Lord, the royal palace, and all that Solomon desired to do, 2 the Lord appeared to Solomon a second time just as He had appeared to him at Gibeon. 3 The Lord said to him:

I have heard your prayer and petition you have made before Me. I have consecrated this temple you have built, to put My name there forever; My eyes and My heart will be there at all times.

4 As for you, if you walk before Me as your father David walked, with a heart of integrity and in what is right, doing everything I have commanded you, and if you keep My statutes and ordinances, 5 I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised your father David: You will never fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.

6 If you or your sons turn away from following Me and do not keep My commands—My statutes that I have set before you—and if you go and serve other gods and worship them, 7 I will cut off Israel from the land I gave them, and I will reject[a] the temple I have sanctified for My name. Israel will become an object of scorn and ridicule among all the peoples. 8 Though this temple is now exalted,[b] everyone who passes by will be appalled and will mock.[c] They will say: Why did the Lord do this to this land and this temple? 9 Then they will say: Because they abandoned the Lord their God who brought their ancestors out of the land of Egypt. They clung to other gods and worshiped and served them. Because of this, the Lord brought all this ruin on them.
    They were exiled from the land as promised by God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Can you find any evidence that King Solomon repented?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    They were exiled from the land as promised by God?
    OK.

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Can you find any evidence that King Solomon repented?
    No, and I don't see what you're driving at here.