Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

U.S. jet destroys Russian-made tank in Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. jet destroys Russian-made tank in Syria

U.S. jet destroys Russian-made tank in Syria

US-jet-destroys-Russian-made-tank-in-Syria.jpg

Feb. 13 (UPI) -- A U.S. airstrike destroyed a Russian-built tank manned by pro-Syrian forces last weekend, the U.S. military officials said Tuesday.

Forces loyal to the Syrian government were firing mortars and small-arms Saturday while moving toward the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces and their U.S. advisers near Al Tabiyeh, coalition officials said.

The U.S.-led coalition contacted Russian counterparts before using an MQ-9 Reaper to strike the T-72 tank, according to coalition spokesperson Col. Ryan Dillon.

"The tank had been maneuvering with coordinated indirect fire on a defensive position occupied by Syrian Democratic Forces and coalition advisers," Dillon said. "The defensive position was within effective range of the hostile weapons systems."

The tank was not firing on the SDF and the coalition, although Dillon said other weapons were used.

No coalition or SDF casualties were reported, Dillon added.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

stuff happens...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      stuff happens...
      I think Putin was emboldened by being able to push Obama around, and it's not working so well anymore.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can't even follow the sides in this war anymore. Who are the "good guys?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I think an oversimplified version is that we are continuing our proxy war with Russia. Russia is supporting Iran, who wants to destroy Israel. Various factions supported by Iran are fighting for control of land around Israel, with the ultimate goal of wiping Israel from the face of the earth. This battle is openly being fought in Syria.

The harder question is - and I think this is what you're referencing - how do we know "who on the ground" is on which side.

I think it amounts to - not so much "who is my friend" - but "who is fighting on the side of my enemy", and the classic "my enemy's enemy is my friend".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think an oversimplified version is that we are continuing our proxy war with Russia. Russia is supporting Iran, who wants to destroy Israel. Various factions supported by Iran are fighting for control of land around Israel, with the ultimate goal of wiping Israel from the face of the earth. This battle is openly being fought in Syria.

The harder question is - and I think this is what you're referencing - how do we know "who on the ground" is on which side.

I think it amounts to - not so much "who is my friend" - but "who is fighting on the side of my enemy", and the classic "my enemy's enemy is my friend".
            Yeah, are we helping the Syrian government? Or the rebels? Or both? And who are the rebels? and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              None of the guys who have any sort of power are the "good guys." The Turks are targeting churches, among other things, in areas under Kurdish control; I rather doubt that the Kurds are anything like majority Christian, however.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment