Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian interference with the 2016 election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian interference with the 2016 election

Russian interference is a moving target. To get up to speed, here's a live stream from last night, which also serves to put some faces to the bylines responsible for much of the in-depth reporting out of the Times.

Russia and the 2016 Election: What Lines Were Crossed?

Panelists, from left to right:

Scott Shane, New York Times
    Nina Khrushcheva, Professor of International Affairs, The New School
    Michael S. Schmidt, New York Times
    Mark Mazzetti, Washington Investigations Editor, New York Times

As we have some newbs around here, please note this is a lao tzu thread: Robust responses are welcome, carefully considered responses are more than welcome, but all responses should be directed toward the posts, not the posters.
    Last edited by Juvenal; 02-14-2018, 07:08 AM. Reason: Alternative link

Alternatively, current and historical reporting is available at:

Russian Hacking and Influence in the U.S. Election
    Last edited by Juvenal; 02-14-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

The left likes to blame "Russian hackers" and "Russian twitter bots" whenever anything doesn't go the way they like. It is their scapegoat. And it is getting old. It has become the left's "crying wolf"

Comment

These are the same liberals who had no problem whatsoever with Obama openly campaigning against Netanyahu in Israel's election. They're just crying now because they didn't get the result they wanted.

Also, when Wray was recently asked if Christopher Steele was indirectly working for Putin, he refused to answer in the open hearing, saying that the information was classified. Which basically means yes.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...-answer-video/

Funny how the evidence for collusion keeps leading us away from Trump and to the Democrats.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-14-2018, 07:39 AM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          These are the same liberals who had no problem whatsoever with Obama openly campaigning against Netanyahu in Israel's election. They're just crying now because they didn't get the result they wanted.

Also, when Wray was recently asked if Christopher Steele was indirectly working for Putin, he refused to answer in the open hearing, saying that the information was classified. Which basically means yes.

Funny how the evidence for collusion keeps leading us away from Trump and to the Democrats.
          The Jerk has reminded me elsewhere that he was not supportive of Obama's efforts to affect Israeli election results.

I agree with Wray that the information requested was classified; he was working for the FBI at the time, which means that any other of his connections need to stay under wraps (that information should have too, and Steele's outing of himself got him fired).
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to actually read the Steele Dossier?
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to actually read the Steele Dossier?
              https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...legations.html

Comment

It's a dumb question only because you'll be stupider for having read it. It reads like a tabloid newspaper article, because that's essentially what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  The left likes to blame "Russian hackers" and "Russian twitter bots" whenever anything doesn't go the way they like. It is their scapegoat. And it is getting old. It has become the left's "crying wolf"
                  I'm not following this. Is there something that has recently displeased the left that has some connection to the Times event in the o/p? I've found that right wing, well, "known propaganda websites," like to search out left wing fringe sites for outlandish nuggets, but life's too short for me to spend quality time with either of them.

Comment

Here's the exchange under discussion.
                    Sen. Tom Cotton: Mr. Wray are you aware of a gentleman by the name of Oleg Derispaska?

FBI Chief Christopher Wray: I’ve heard the name.

Cotton: Is it fair to call him a Putin-linked Russian oligarch.

Wray: Well I’ll leave that characterization to others and certainly not in this setting.

Cotton: Chuck Grassley the chairman of the Judiciary Committee last week sent a letter to a London based lawyer who represents Derispaska and asked if Mr Steele was employed either directly or indirectly by Oleg Derispaska at the time he was running the Steele dossier. Do you know if Christopher Steele worked for Oleg Derispaska?

Wray: That’s not something I can answer.

Cotton: Could we discuss it in a classified setting?:

Wray: There might be more we can say there.

Cotton: Thank you

I'm not seeing much to mine there.

I can't find a full transcript yet, but anyone interested should note the hearing itself is available at the committee website.

Open Hearing: Worldwide Threats Hearing

Comment

It's pretty obvious that what he didn't want to say is that, yes, Steele was working for the Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        ... Steele's outing of himself got him fired.
                        This is likely, but not certain.

As a clarification, this thread is only tangentially directed toward the Steele dossier and any possible collusion between Russian intelligence and the Trump campaign.

It should be noted that the Senate Intelligence Committee hearing, abstracted above into a Steele dossier soundbite, and, apparently, combined into yet another right wing conspiracy theory, was the annual worldwide threats hearing, a 2 hour 45 minute session featuring the directors of the DNI, CIA, NSA, DIA, FBI, and NGA, and touching a wide range of topics.

The largest take-away from the hearing was that Russian interference is expected in the 2018 elections as well.

Russian Threat To Elections To Persist Through 2018, Spy Bosses Warn Congress
                        The Senate committee also discussed the nuclear missile threat from North Korea and the "instability," as Coats described it, of that country's leader, Kim Jong Un.

Intellectual property theft by China, terrorist groups like ISIS and al-Qaida, and drugs crossing the Southern border from Mexico also came up, but the hearing kept coming back to the broad peril involved with cyberattacks.

More directly addressing the Steele dossier, Scott Shane had some interesting remarks on the hearing at the TimesEvent of the o/p, beginning at 37:32. I've transcribed the relevant portion.
                        When Comey was FBI director, he described this dossier as salacious and unverified, and one of the senators asked Chris Wray, the new FBI director... cited that, said Comey said it was salacious and unverified, would you say that's still what it is, and Wray was silent for a minute and said, I'll tell you more about that in the afternoon session, which is closed. So it was a really interesting moment, because it would have been easy for him to say, you bet, it's still salacious, still unverified, ... we're no further down the road but apparently he wanted to tell them something that he didn't want to tell the rest of us.

I haven't had a chance to watch the full hearing, and can't find full transcripts, but I'll be looking for this exchange when I do, and post the timestamp to compare this characterization and the actual testimony.

Comment

It should be noted that the so-called Steele dossier is not a dossier. It's a collection of 17 company intelligence reports based on interviews between June and December 2016 with Russian contacts Steele developed while working the Russia desk for MI-6.

It's raw intelligence, subject to the usual caveats. Portions have subsequently been relatively well verified, including details about the Russian actors cited as directing the interference campaign. Others have been relatively well disputed, including the Cohen meeting in Prague. The salacious elements concerning prostitutes remain in unverified limbo.

Comment

It's pretty obvious that what he didn't want to say is that, yes, Steele was working for the Russians.
                            You think! If the Russians are so bad then why has Trump failed to meet a deadline to impose sanctions on individuals who do business with Russian military or intelligence entities? And why has he not directed his intelligence agencies to crack down on Russia given that the senior US intel chiefs unanimously warn that Russian meddling threatens 2018 vote. Doesn't Trump care or does he fear repercussions from Putin?
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              It should be noted that the so-called Steele dossier is not a dossier. It's a collection of 17 company intelligence reports based on interviews between June and December 2016 with Russian contacts Steele developed while working the Russia desk for MI-6.

It's raw intelligence, subject to the usual caveats. Portions have subsequently been relatively well verified, including details about the Russian actors cited as directing the interference campaign. Others have been relatively well disputed, including the Cohen meeting in Prague. The salacious elements concerning prostitutes remain in unverified limbo.
                              Apparently it also salted with a few rumors and innuendos that the Hillary campaign fed to the author so they could be included as well.

By now you should realize that the most convincing lies, the best con jobs, are concocted using as much truth as possible and then twisting it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment