Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian interference with the 2016 election

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Russian interference with the 2016 election

Russian interference is a moving target. To get up to speed, here's a live stream from last night, which also serves to put some faces to the bylines responsible for much of the in-depth reporting out of the Times.

Russia and the 2016 Election: What Lines Were Crossed?

Panelists, from left to right:

Scott Shane, New York Times
    Nina Khrushcheva, Professor of International Affairs, The New School
    Michael S. Schmidt, New York Times
    Mark Mazzetti, Washington Investigations Editor, New York Times

As we have some newbs around here, please note this is a lao tzu thread: Robust responses are welcome, carefully considered responses are more than welcome, but all responses should be directed toward the posts, not the posters.
    Last edited by lao tzu; 02-14-2018 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Alternative link

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Alternatively, current and historical reporting is available at:

Russian Hacking and Influence in the U.S. Election
    Last edited by lao tzu; 02-14-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The left likes to blame "Russian hackers" and "Russian twitter bots" whenever anything doesn't go the way they like. It is their scapegoat. And it is getting old. It has become the left's "crying wolf"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    These are the same liberals who had no problem whatsoever with Obama openly campaigning against Netanyahu in Israel's election. They're just crying now because they didn't get the result they wanted.

Also, when Wray was recently asked if Christopher Steele was indirectly working for Putin, he refused to answer in the open hearing, saying that the information was classified. Which basically means yes.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...-answer-video/

Funny how the evidence for collusion keeps leading us away from Trump and to the Democrats.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-14-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    These are the same liberals who had no problem whatsoever with Obama openly campaigning against Netanyahu in Israel's election. They're just crying now because they didn't get the result they wanted.

Also, when Wray was recently asked if Christopher Steele was indirectly working for Putin, he refused to answer in the open hearing, saying that the information was classified. Which basically means yes.

Funny how the evidence for collusion keeps leading us away from Trump and to the Democrats.
    The Jerk has reminded me elsewhere that he was not supportive of Obama's efforts to affect Israeli election results.

I agree with Wray that the information requested was classified; he was working for the FBI at the time, which means that any other of his connections need to stay under wraps (that information should have too, and Steele's outing of himself got him fired).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to actually read the Steele Dossier?
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to actually read the Steele Dossier?
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...legations.html

8. Amen Zymologist amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    It's a dumb question only because you'll be stupider for having read it. It reads like a tabloid newspaper article, because that's essentially what it is.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The left likes to blame "Russian hackers" and "Russian twitter bots" whenever anything doesn't go the way they like. It is their scapegoat. And it is getting old. It has become the left's "crying wolf"
    I'm not following this. Is there something that has recently displeased the left that has some connection to the Times event in the o/p? I've found that right wing, well, "known propaganda websites," like to search out left wing fringe sites for outlandish nuggets, but life's too short for me to spend quality time with either of them.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post

Here's the exchange under discussion.

Sen. Tom Cotton: Mr. Wray are you aware of a gentleman by the name of Oleg Derispaska?

FBI Chief Christopher Wray: Iíve heard the name.

Cotton: Is it fair to call him a Putin-linked Russian oligarch.

Wray: Well Iíll leave that characterization to others and certainly not in this setting.

Cotton: Chuck Grassley the chairman of the Judiciary Committee last week sent a letter to a London based lawyer who represents Derispaska and asked if Mr Steele was employed either directly or indirectly by Oleg Derispaska at the time he was running the Steele dossier. Do you know if Christopher Steele worked for Oleg Derispaska?

Wray: Thatís not something I can answer.

Cotton: Could we discuss it in a classified setting?:

Wray: There might be more we can say there.

Cotton: Thank you

I'm not seeing much to mine there.

I can't find a full transcript yet, but anyone interested should note the hearing itself is available at the committee website.

Open Hearing: Worldwide Threats Hearing