Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian interference with the 2016 election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Well, ironically, the same guy was implanted into the Carter campaign in the 1980 election by Reagan and Bush to spy on Carter and pass information back to the Reagan campaign. That was clearly 100% criminal.
    I ran into this piece earlier this morning.

Stefan Halper didn’t steal Carter’s debate prep books for Reagan. A Democrat did.
    The implication of the scandal, especially when it first broke, was that Reagan won the debate — and perhaps the presidency itself — because of stolen property. The truth is in my book on the 1980 campaign, “Rendezvous With Destiny.” I painstakingly pursued the facts about the stolen briefing books for months, but I had an advantage: I knew Paul Corbin, who was a friend of mine. And Corbin stole the briefing books and gave them to his new friend, Bill Casey, Reagan’s 1980 campaign manager.

Comment

• More evidence of Russian collusion.

Unfortunately for liberals, this is not the collusion you're looking for.

Source: Russian Lobbyist at Trump Jr. Meeting Admits Personal Relationship with Hillary Clinton, Campaign Staffers

In recently released testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, a key participant at the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower with President Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. said that he “knows” Hillary Clinton and has a personal relationship with her that dates back to the late-1990s.

Besides describing a direct connection to Clinton, Russian-born Washington lobbyist Rinat Akhmetshin also testified that he “knew some people who worked on” Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign.

Akhmetshin was one of the participants at the June 9, 2016 Trump Tower meeting that has been the subject of much news media coverage related to unsubstantiated and collapsing claims of collusion with Russia. All meeting participants generally agree the confab focused largely on the Magnitsky Act, which sanctions Russian officials accused of involvement in the death of a Russian tax accountant, as well as talk about a Russian tax evasion scheme and alleged connections to the Democratic National Committee.

Trump Jr. previously explained that he took the meeting thinking it was about “opposition research” on Hillary Clinton and was disappointed that it wasn’t.

Last week, Breitbart News reported that email transcripts and other information disclosed in Akhmetshi’s testimony reveal a significant relationship between the lobbyist and the controversial Fusion GPS firm that produced the infamous, largely discredited anti-Trump dossier.

The Russia collusion conspiracy was sparked by the dossier produced by Fusion GPS, which was paid for its anti-Trump work by Trump’s primary political opponents, namely Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) via the Perkins Coie law firm.

Now it has emerged that in his testimony, Akhmetshin related a personal connection to Clinton via attorney Ed Lieberman, whose late wife Evelyn previously served as Clinton’s chief of staff when she was First Lady. Evelyn Lieberman also served as Bill Clinton’s deputy chief of staff, and famously transferred Monica Lewinsky out of the White House to the Defense Department.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...aign-staffers/

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• He knew somebody who knew somebody, since deceased, who knew Clinton twenty years ago, and Breitbart's headline describes this as a direct connection.
          Akhmetshin related a personal connection to Clinton via attorney Ed Lieberman, whose late wife Evelyn previously served as Clinton’s chief of staff when she was First Lady.

This is why Breitbart isn't considered a serious source.
          Last edited by Juvenal; 05-29-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]27996[/ATTACH]
            Please avoid spam posting in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              He knew somebody who knew somebody, since deceased, who knew Clinton twenty years ago, and Breitbart's headline describes this as a direct connection.
              Akhmetshin related a personal connection to Clinton via attorney Ed Lieberman, whose late wife Evelyn previously served as Clinton’s chief of staff when she was First Lady.

That's how he first met her, not his only contact with her. You're cherry-picking, and using that cherry to create a false impression. I can't not call you out on that, your thread or no.

Mountain Man leans heavily one way, you lean heavily the other. I figure reality is somewhere in between.

I'm less concerned with his direct relationship to Hillary than his involvement with Fusion GPS.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He knew somebody who knew somebody, since deceased, who knew Clinton twenty years ago, and Breitbart's headline describes this as a direct connection.

He described himself as a personal friend of Hillary, and said that he knew people who were working on her 2016 campaign. He was also actively working with Fusion GPS which was paid by Hillary's campaign to manufacture the hoax "golden showers" dossier. Trying to pass this off as "old news" is disingenuous. If every random Russian "connection" on Trump's campaign needs to be investigated then why not Hillary?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  That's how he first met her, not his only contact with her. You're cherry-picking, and using that cherry to create a false impression. I can't not call you out on that, your thread or no.
                  You can call me out on a false impression when it's actually false. And you can do so in the thread you created for it.
                  Q. Do you know Secretary Clinton?

A. I do know her, yes.

Q. You know Hillary Clinton? What’s the… how do you know her?

A. Personal.

Q. How long have you known her?

A. Probably I met her first like in late ’90s .

Q. Was that through Ed Lieberman?

A. Through his wife.

Q. And how would you describe your relationship with her now?

A. Nonexistent. Last time I saw her, at the funeral of Evelyn Lieberman.

A nonexistent relationship.

That's by his own admission, and in direct contradiction with the headline, "Russian Lobbyist at Trump Jr. Meeting Admits Personal Relationship with Hillary Clinton." Notice the balance between falsehood in the headline and plausible deniability using the body of the reporting to maintain a more accurate poise that can be referenced later.

Not that they're addicted to truth.
                  The Russia collusion conspiracy was sparked by the dossier produced by Fusion GPS ...

That's been long since refuted.

Mountain Man leans heavily one way, you lean heavily the other.
                  I lean toward verifiable information from reliable sources. Equivocation between my position and anyone else's is both inaccurate, and not allowed in this thread, as it is yet another descent into personalities that can only serve to derail serious discussion.

I figure reality is somewhere in between.
                  Reality is somewhere in between Jesus and Landover Baptist.

The problem you see with that can be more generally applied.

I'm less concerned with his direct relationship to Hillary than his involvement with Fusion GPS.
                  Another organization that's been falsely pilloried by Trump supporters. These guys are former WSJ reporters now doing research for hire, happy to take money from anyone, and with a solid record of professionalism and journalistic verification.

If you'd like to prune out this exchange and place it where it belongs, I'd be pleased to continue it there.

Comment

He described himself as a personal friend of Hillary, and said that he knew people who were working on her 2016 campaign. He was also actively working with Fusion GPS which was paid by Hillary's campaign to manufacture the hoax "golden showers" dossier. Trying to pass this off as "old news" is disingenuous. If every random Russian "connection" on Trump's campaign needs to be investigated then why not Hillary?
                    This is a thread on Russian interference in the 2016 elections. Please stay on topic.

Comment

• I see, so a discussion about Hillary and her gang of crooks colluding with Russians to smear Trump with a phony dossier is off-topic in a thread discussing Russian interference?

Yeah, OK.

Comment

I see, so a discussion about Hillary and her gang of crooks colluding with Russians to smear Trump with a phony dossier is off-topic in a thread discussing Russian interference?

Yeah, OK.
                        Rachel Maddow can help you with this.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Rachael Madcow doesn't give her opinion, she just explains the news.

Comment

You can call me out on a false impression when it's actually false. And you can do so in the thread you created for it.
                            Where others reading this thread aren't likely to see it? No. I'm politely pushing back on your statements in THIS thread. I'm not throwing around insults, so I fail to see why it shouldn't be handled here.
                            Q. Do you know Secretary Clinton?

A. I do know her, yes.

Q. You know Hillary Clinton? What’s the… how do you know her?

A. Personal.

Q. How long have you known her?

A. Probably I met her first like in late ’90s .

Q. Was that through Ed Lieberman?

A. Through his wife.

Q. And how would you describe your relationship with her now?

A. Nonexistent. Last time I saw her, at the funeral of Evelyn Lieberman.

A nonexistent relationship.

That's by his own admission, and in direct contradiction with the headline, "Russian Lobbyist at Trump Jr. Meeting Admits Personal Relationship with Hillary Clinton." Notice the balance between falsehood in the headline and plausible deniability using the body of the reporting to maintain a more accurate poise that can be referenced later.
                            Yep. I read that already. Note that his relationship to her *now* is characterized as nonexistent. You're striving to imply it was always that way, which his testimony simply will not bear. He admits to meeting her socially from the time he first bumped into her via his connections and 2015.
                            Not that they're addicted to truth.
                            The Russia collusion conspiracy was sparked by the dossier produced by Fusion GPS ...

That's been long since refuted.
                            I'd agree it's not the best choice of words. The dossier has merely been of immense help to the Russian collusion conspiracy.
                            I lean toward verifiable information from reliable sources. Equivocation between my position and anyone else's is both inaccurate, and not allowed in this thread, as it is yet another descent into personalities that can only serve to derail serious discussion.
                            Your smug superiority is duly noted, and can only serve to derail serious discussion - unless you're playing at solipsism, in which case you're free to discuss things with yourself to your heart's content. This isn't your classroom, Jesse.

Another organization that's been falsely pilloried by Trump supporters. These guys are former WSJ reporters now doing research for hire, happy to take money from anyone, and with a solid record of professionalism and journalistic verification.
                            ....who just happen to have been secretly working for the opposition at the time, which is why I have a problem with it.
                            If you'd like to prune out this exchange and place it where it belongs, I'd be pleased to continue it there.
                            I've already called you out. I don't see a need to continue to do so, unless you keep making statements begging for it.
                            Last edited by One Bad Pig; 05-30-2018, 08:21 PM.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Where others reading this thread aren't likely to see it? No.
                              Posting where the rules of the thread make it impossible for me to respond is an abuse.

Close the thread.

Comment

Rachael Madcow doesn't give her opinion, she just explains the news.
                                That's a good thing. I listen to Rachel a lot on youtube. A top journalist.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment