Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian interference with the 2016 election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    We shall see? But we've already seen. The story was proven false over a year ago!

Jan 2017: "Cohen said that during the time the report places him in Prague, he was actually with his son visiting USC and meeting with the baseball coach. A USC baseball source confirmed Tuesday night that Cohen and his son had visited USC on August 29th."
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...r-trump/512762
    [CARPESPLAIN]

OK, I've read the article. I realize that showing the claims against Cohen were wrong is important to the right, but this article certainly does not provide evidence that Cohen was not in Prague. The only specific time the dossier identifies is "Aug-Sep" 2016, AFAIK. Cohen has shown proof it could not have been Aug 23-29th. He has shown us the outside of his passport, which tells us nothing (unless somewhere else he showed the inside?). His passport also does not have to show "Prague" or "Czech Republic." The Czech Republic is part of the EU, which allows for open transport between EU nations without documentation at the borders. So all Cohen would have to do is fly into or out of anywhere in the EU, and he can get to Prague invisibly.

So, we know what Cohen claims, and we know what the dossier claims, and we know that apparently Mueller's team has evidence that he was there. We have not seen that evidence, and we have not seen adequate evidence from Cohen that shows he was NOT there in any part of the two months in question.

Logically, that leaves us with "we don't know." Those arguing it is proven can't make that case. Those arguing it was disproven also cannot make that case - unless there is some evidence out there I have not found or not seen.

[/CARPESPLAIN]

Now - if history repeats itself, this explanation will likewise be spun as "Carpe is claiming the evidence for NOT X proves X."

P.S. Sparko, we really need to create some "carpesplain" tags. Maybe have it automatically shift to a crazy font in a wild color with misaligned margins? That would be totally cool!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      He has shown us the outside of his passport, which tells us nothing (unless somewhere else he showed the inside?)

There are also second passports for those whose passport entry stamps to one country would prevent them from visiting a second. And there are ways of bypassing customs, too, if you have access to a private jet.

But the larger takeaway from McClatchy isn't that Cohen visited Prague.

It's that Mueller knows Cohen visited Prague.

As I mentioned earlier, the leak to McClatchy is itself newsworthy. This is the second leak I can pin directly on Mueller's team, the first being the Guccifer revelations.

The Guccifer leaks were from a transitional team being reassigned to Mueller, and were tangential at best.

This one is fully targeted, and smells like trying to fight it out in the press, something Mueller has always been loathe to do, but not something the FBI in general has been shy about. *cough* McCabe *cough*

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        News on Cohen in Prague

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

If the Prague trip happened, and Mueller can prove it, the largest known hole in the Steele dossier vanishes, and Cohen is implicated in direct cooperation, as described in the dossier, by his categorical denials. And by the positioning of the accusation with his consigliere, it would implicate the don.

I see no real alternative to any sourcing for this story outside the Mueller team, so there's that, though I have sincere doubts that Mueller would have authorized its release. If it's true, and we'll have to wait for solid evidence on that, this would be a bombshell leak, the sort of thing that would headline articles of impeachment.

Cohen has responded.

Cohen doubles down on claim he's never been to Prague after Mueller report

Cohen Again Denies He Made Prague Visit During Trump Campaign
        Have you considered posting actual evidence in your posts, rather than merely allegations with links?

Those of us not breathlessly following every sordid detail are blissfully unaware of what the alleged 'largest known hole in the Steele dossier" is, let alone how this ostensibly fills it.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Have you considered posting actual evidence in your posts, rather than merely allegations with links?

Those of us not breathlessly following every sordid detail are blissfully unaware of what the alleged 'largest known hole in the Steele dossier" is, let alone how this ostensibly fills it.
          Presenting actual evidence is positively caustic to the narrative being promoted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Presenting actual evidence is positively caustic to the narrative being promoted.
            Not in this thread, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

The Steele dossier identified a man named Michael Cohen who went to Prague to visit some Russians. Trump's personal lawyer happens to be named Michael Cohen, so liberals breathlessly claimed that this proved that Trump colluded with Russia. The only problem is that it was the wrong Michael Cohen which blew a big hole in the Steele dossier. Now that the raid on Cohen's office provides some nice cover, liberal outlets are once again trotting out this fake news without bothering to point out that it was debunked in last January.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The Steele dossier identified a man named Michael Cohen who went to Prague to visit some Russians. Trump's personal lawyer happens to be named Michael Cohen, so liberals breathlessly claimed that this proved that Trump colluded with Russia. The only problem is that it was the wrong Michael Cohen which blew a big hole in the Steele dossier. Now that the raid on Cohen's office provides some nice cover, liberal outlets are once again trotting out this fake news without bothering to point out that it was debunked in last January.
                Cohen may well have been lying, something not unknown in the Trump camp. "Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier..."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...208870264.html

Comment

• If Cohen was lying then how could his story have been independently confirmed?

"Cohen said that during the time the report places him in Prague, he was actually with his son visiting USC and meeting with the baseball coach. A USC baseball source confirmed Tuesday night that Cohen and his son had visited USC on August 29th."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/512762/

Comment

OK - I've been through the article, the links in the article, and I've done it twice. I see NOTHING in this that "proves" it is the wrong Michael Cohen. I see it asserted several times. I see a heavily redacted document with no names referenced, and I see a list of "things we know" that don't even begin to come close to "proving: it was the wrong Michael Cohen.

That doesn't prove it was the right one, of course. But where on earth is all of this evidence that it was "the wrong Michael Cohen?" Can anyone outline exactly what this case was...?
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

If Cohen was lying then how could his story have been independently confirmed?

"Cohen said that during the time the report places him in Prague, he was actually with his son visiting USC and meeting with the baseball coach. A USC baseball source confirmed Tuesday night that Cohen and his son had visited USC on August 29th."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/512762/
                      The dossier places him in Prague in Aug/Sep. That's about 9 weeks. He was shown to be with his son a total of one of those weeks, and claims he was "in NYC" the other eight. So continually claiming that "he was with his son" for that one week does not disprove the assertion that he was "in Prague" any of the other 8 weeks.

It also doesn't prove he was. We don't know what this apparently new evidence is. So the best any of us can say, it seems to me, is "I don't know."

Comment

• It's very simple: Cohen can't be in two places at once. We have proof that he was one place (Los Angles) which means that it is physically and logically impossible for him to be in another place (Prague).

And Tass keeps posting that McClatchy link, but he apparently missed this bombshell admission just 7-paragraphs below the headline: "The disclosure still left a puzzle: The sources did not say whether Cohen took a commercial flight or private jet to Europe, and gave no explanation as to why no record of such a trip has surfaced."

In simpler language, there is no record of Cohen making a trip to Prague.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          OK - I've been through the article, the links in the article, and I've done it twice. I see NOTHING in this that "proves" it is the wrong Michael Cohen. I see it asserted several times. I see a heavily redacted document with no names referenced, and I see a list of "things we know" that don't even begin to come close to "proving: it was the wrong Michael Cohen.

That doesn't prove it was the right one, of course. But where on earth is all of this evidence that it was "the wrong Michael Cohen?" Can anyone outline exactly what this case was...?
                          I've seen a video of Jake Tapper of CNN citing a government source back then that claimed there was another Michael Cohen, same birth year, different birthday, different nationality, in Prague.

To square with the Steele dossier, that different Cohen would have had to have been meeting with Russian intelligence agents to pay off Romanian hackers and arrange to have them lie low in another country. That doesn't work for me.

It's not as if it would be an outrageous coincidence to have two Michael Cohen's in Prague at any one time.

Comment

It's very simple: Cohen can't be in two places at once. We have proof that he was one place (Los Angles) which means that it is physically and logically impossible for him to be in another place (Prague).

And Tass keeps posting that McClatchy link, but he apparently missed this bombshell admission just 7-paragraphs below the headline: "The disclosure still left a puzzle: The sources did not say whether Cohen took a commercial flight or private jet to Europe, and gave no explanation as to why no record of such a trip has surfaced."

In simpler language, there is no record of Cohen making a trip to Prague
                            https://www.vox.com/2018/4/13/172366...steele-dossier

Comment

• "Anonymous sources" ... yeah, OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                To square with the Steele dossier, that different Cohen would have had to have been meeting with Russian intelligence agents to pay off Romanian hackers and arrange to have them lie low in another country. That doesn't work for me.
                                That's because the Steele dossier is as phony as a $3 bill.

Comment