Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Dad and Marine

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,418
    Amen (Given)
    9754
    Amen (Received)
    22016

    Dad and Marine

    A loving father of two great kids, a really good husband, a decorated marine, and a saint of the Lord passed this morning. You don't know him - but he was a great member of our Church. He has been battling cancer for the past 3 years, and was thought to be "in the clear" until about two months ago, when the cancer came back in his esophagus, and he quickly became too weak even for chemo.

    My daughter was his hospice nurse, and he has been "family" in so many ways. Meeting shortly with his wife, Becky, for final funeral arrangements, but I sat with Billy a couple weeks ago, and he spelled out exactly how he wanted his funeral to go. And he was very quick and resolute in letting me know he knew "where he was going" and was fully prepared to meet his reward.

    Semper Fi.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  2. #2
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18,241
    Amen (Given)
    13636
    Amen (Received)
    8035
    Healed and Home.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  3. Amen Cow Poke, rogue06 amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,244
    Amen (Given)
    1390
    Amen (Received)
    1564
    You know I have often thought of using the question do you know where you are going as a way to talk about Christ. Ever since my great grandfather was so sure about where he was going. It really is a securing thought for the saved and a most important question to ask in life. Your friend is home.

  5. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,418
    Amen (Given)
    9754
    Amen (Received)
    22016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    You know I have often thought of using the question do you know where you are going as a way to talk about Christ. Ever since my great grandfather was so sure about where he was going. It really is a securing thought for the saved and a most important question to ask in life. Your friend is home.
    A more 'formal' version of that has been "If you were to die right now, do you know where you would spend eternity"?

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  7. Amen TheWall amen'd this post.
  8. #5
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,782
    Amen (Given)
    4029
    Amen (Received)
    19529
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    A more 'formal' version of that has been "If you were to die right now, do you know where you would spend eternity"?
    theologyweb?

  9. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
  10. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,418
    Amen (Given)
    9754
    Amen (Received)
    22016
    So, Becky had been getting frustrated that Billy seemed to be "just hanging on".

    She would often sit on the bed near him, and he was just lying there, breathing irregularly at times, and would have been in pain had it not been for the drugs that Hospice provides.

    I was with the family for a couple hours yesterday, and they pretty much camp out in the bedroom where he lay.

    When it seemed appropriate, I suggested (quietly) to Becky that another of our people - Joel - had been staying quite close to his mother, who was in a similar state as Billy. Early one morning, Joel left his Mom just for a few minutes to get some breakfast at the cafeteria in the hospital, and when he came back, Mom had passed. I told her that Joel is convinced that his Mom would not leave while he was there, because she didn't want him to see her pass.

    Becky took that in the spirit it was offered, and said, "I'd been wondering about that, too, and maybe he just needs some alone time".

    About 3 AM, Becky left the bedroom to go lay on the couch for a bit. About 2 hours later, she went back to the bedroom and discovered he has passed. She said it was obvious he had passed peacefully, as even his facial expression was 'relaxed' as opposed to appearing to be straining somewhat to breathe.

    For what it's worth.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  11. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,418
    Amen (Given)
    9754
    Amen (Received)
    22016
    Becky had expressed the fact that her husband, Billy, rarely ever talked about his service in Vietnam. It was only in the last decade or so when he began to talk about it, because it seemed the 'stigma' was finally lifting. Remember, these guys came home to all kinds of protests, people would spit on them, call them babykillers, and treat them like dirt.

    At the funeral, I mentioned this, and asked any Vietnam Vets to please stand, as Billy would have wanted them recognized. Three or four stood, and everybody applauded them. After the funeral, one of them came up to me, hugged me, a tear in his eye, and he said that's the first time anybody has ever thanked him for serving his country.

    Later that afternoon (Monday), we had the graveside service with full military honors.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  12. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  13. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,782
    Amen (Given)
    4029
    Amen (Received)
    19529
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Becky had expressed the fact that her husband, Billy, rarely ever talked about his service in Vietnam. It was only in the last decade or so when he began to talk about it, because it seemed the 'stigma' was finally lifting. Remember, these guys came home to all kinds of protests, people would spit on them, call them babykillers, and treat them like dirt.

    At the funeral, I mentioned this, and asked any Vietnam Vets to please stand, as Billy would have wanted them recognized. Three or four stood, and everybody applauded them. After the funeral, one of them came up to me, hugged me, a tear in his eye, and he said that's the first time anybody has ever thanked him for serving his country.

    Later that afternoon (Monday), we had the graveside service with full military honors.
    My dad was in Vietnam and Thailand and hardly ever talked about his time there. And what he did tell was not pleasant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •