Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Like most rights, the rights secured by the second amendment is not unlimited.....it is ...not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever, in any manner whatsoever, or for whatever purpose. Anton Scalia.
    Here we go... in a JimL timeloop again.

For 1 to infinity goto loop

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      And if you weren't such a dunce, you would realize that Scalia explicitly defined those restrictions in his opinion:

nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-290.ZO.html
      Right, and who determined that there should be limitations, and what those limitations would be MM?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        Right, and who determined that there should be limitations, and what those limitations would be MM?
        You're not nearly as clever as you think you are. You're obviously anticipating that I will concede that it is federal, state, and local legislatures who put such prohibitions into law, at which point you're going say, "Ah-ha! That means they can arbitrarily expand those restrictions in any way they see fit!" But obviously they can't, or you wouldn't have the Supreme Court decision striking down the District of Columbia's attempt to ban handguns, a decision which you have ironically been quoting from to support your argument. Let's drop down to the last paragraph of that opinion:

the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table. These include the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home. Undoubtedly some think that the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct.

"Own Goal Jimmy" strikes again!
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-01-2018, 03:18 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You're not nearly as clever as you think you are. You're obviously anticipating that I will concede that it is federal, state, and local legislatures who put such prohibitions into law, at which point you're going say, "Ah-ha! That means they can arbitrarily expand those restrictions in any way they see fit!" But obviously they can't, or you wouldn't have the Supreme Court decision striking down the District of Columbia's attempt to ban handguns, a decision which you have ironically been quoting from to support your argument. Let's drop down to the last paragraph of that opinion:

the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table. These include the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home. Undoubtedly some think that the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct.

"Own Goal Jimmy" strikes again!
          Nice evasive move, MM. So now answer the question. Who determined that there should be limitations to the 2nd amendment, and what those limitations would be?

Comment

Nice evasive move, MM. So now answer the question. Who determined that there should be limitations to the 2nd amendment, and what those limitations would be?
            I did answer the question, and I'm not going to engage you any further. I'll content myself with laughing at your utter cluelessness and delusional belief that you're winning this debate.

Ahem...

Comment

Like most rights, the rights secured by the second amendment is not unlimited........ Anton Scalia.
              Scalia is too smart to mess up a verb agreement like that.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Scalia is too smart to mess up a verb agreement like that.
                Try looking it up, CP. Should take you about 2 seconds. I trust you can do that if you care to.

Comment

Try looking it up, CP. Should take you about 2 seconds. I trust you can do that if you care to.
                  You're too stupid to know what verb agreement is.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Mind if I look it up?

Here's how you presented the quote:

"Like most rights, the rights secured by the second amendment is not unlimited."

Here's the quote copied and pasted directly from the decision itself:

"Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."

Can you spot your mistake, Jimmy?

That's own-goal #2.

Comment

Mind if I look it up?

Here's how you presented the quote:

"Like most rights, the rights secured by the second amendment is not unlimited."

Here's the quote from the decision itself:

"Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."

Can you spot your mistake, Jimmy?

That's own-goal #2.
                      He's too busy being a jackasss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        He's too busy being a jackasss.
                        My guess is he didn't even look at the decision himself. He likely copied his material -- grammatical mistake and all -- from some left-wing anti-gun site which is why he's too chicken to cite his source. I doubt he even knew the context in which that quote was made, because the overall decision doesn't support his argument.

Comment

My guess is he didn't even look at the decision himself. He likely copied his material -- grammatical mistake and all -- from some left-wing anti-gun site which is why he's too chicken to cite his source. I doubt he even knew the context in which that quote was made, because the overall decision doesn't support his argument.
                          I knew immediately it wasn't a direct quote from Scalia, that's for sure.

Comment

I'm for the prohibition of drugs more out of moral conscience ...

Yeah, right, we believe you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post

Yeah, right, we believe you.
                              Look who's back!!! How's Mueller???
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                Look who's back!!! How's Mueller???
                                Oh, he's just out there indicting people for money laundering, identity theft, wire fraud, bankruptcy fraud, violations of FEC and FARA, perjury and obstruction of justice.

So sweet of you to ask.

Comment