Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Your statement: "We've tried the liberal approach of disarming law-abiding citizens, and it doesn't work. It's time to go the other direction."

As I pointed out - patently false - and borderline ridiculous.
    Last edited by Adrift; 02-22-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      That made me chuckle... thanks...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That made me chuckle... thanks...
        It's an obvious exaggeration, but I think it points to an alarming reality if arming teachers was implemented on a national scale.

Comment

It's an obvious exaggeration, but I think it points to an alarming reality if arming teachers was implemented on a national scale.
          It is funny, but if teachers were that panicked and trigger-happy, I wouldn't want them in charge of my kids anyway.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            It is funny, but if teachers were that panicked and trigger-happy, I wouldn't want them in charge of my kids anyway.
            I'm sure that putting guns in the hands of the staff will relax everyone in the building...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm sure that putting guns in the hands of the staff will relax everyone in the building...
              OK, who is advocating "putting guns in the hands of the staff"?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are you saying that the educators of most people's kids are untrustworthy?

Comment

Cowering under a bench while other students/teachers get shot in the head one by one isn't particularly relaxing.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    OK, who is advocating "putting guns in the hands of the staff"?
                    You were.

Comment

Are you saying that the educators of most people's kids are untrustworthy?
                      I'd have little issue saying that. Schools today sound pretty crazy. I'm not a hardcore homeschooling advocate, but after hearing lots of horror stories from friends, I don't blame families for doing it.

Comment

I think it is sad that we have a need for such things.

And I have to admit that I find the tedious, mantra of "don't take our guns!" ridiculous. If you say "we need to tighten up background checks" the response is "don't take our guns!" If we say, "maybe we should look at restricting access to assault rifles, it's "don't take our guns." If we say "we could use a national database of firearms to help track who owns what and how many," the response is "don't take our guns!" If we say, "maybe we should have a law that makes the gun owner responsible for what happens with their gun on an equal footing with the gun user," the response is "don't take our guns!" If we suggest, "perhaps we should dedicate some funding to researching gun violence so we can put together data that might actually point to possible solutions that would reduce the carnage," the response is "don't take our guns!"

Most of the time, the response doesn't even make sense, because what is being proposed has nothing to do with taking anyone's gun. But it's an effective mantra. The right and the "gun lovers" of our fair country have a simple message: "don't take our guns!" Backed by the money of the NRA/industry/lobby, it has been an effective tool to keep politicians in their place and preserve the status quo. Those of us who advocate for finding solutions and simple common sense practices (like, "if you're going to do background checks, perhaps it should be done across the board, and not just for 78% of the gun acquisitions?") have a tougher story, which makes it more complex, which historically has caved in front of "don't take our guns!"

But the tide is slowly turning. Each massacre moves the ship a bit. Each community impacted by the violence is shifting the tide. We're up to 64% of Americans. Before too long (I hope) the minority will lose power over this issue and something(s) will finally be done. As I see it, it's largely inevitable. The argument, "to stop gun violence, we need more guns" is so patently ridiculous, sooner or later, people will see it for what it is. It is unfortunate that it requires the death of so many to shift the tide
                        The point is that there is no reason to believe that any of the gun grabbers "solutions" will have any significant deterrence on mass shootings.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You were.
                          No, I wasn't. "putting guns in the hands of the staff" is not the same as allowing those who qualify and are highly trained to have access to firearms.

A very general statement as opposed to a very narrow one. I have REPEATEDLY made the case that it's not an "everybody gets a gun" type situation.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd have little issue saying that. Schools today sound pretty crazy. I'm not a hardcore homeschooling advocate, but after hearing lots of horror stories from friends, I don't blame families for doing it.
                            Glad to hear it--I don't either. We're currently sending our oldest to a private Christian school. (the horror, I know. Almost as evil as homeschooling.)

Comment

Glad to hear it--I don't either. We're currently sending our oldest to a private Christian school. (the horror, I know. Almost as evil as homeschooling.)
                              Yeah, private schools sound like a pretty decent alternative to public schools at this point.

Comment

We homeschooled, then the local school district had me arrested and wanted to try me for violation of the "public attendance" law - which doesn't exist in Texas.

Comment