Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No no no!!!! AR stands for....

oh

nevermind

shh it stands for Assault Rifle, everybody knows that
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      This is why conservatives get angry at the liberals when it comes to gun control. They pontificate on guns while knowing absolutely nothing about them.

Listen to this:

"The AR-15 is more lethal than the M-16 and the pentagon wanted to use it in Vietnam instead of the M-16"
      To paraphrase Mr. T... I pity the fool army stuck going to war armed with AR-15s.

A pundit I saw the other night kept insisting on them as "weapons of war"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This school shooting is turning out not to be such a good "poster boy" shooting for liberals. While they do their best to make this all about gun control, there are so many other factors there that are screaming to be addressed.
        There are no doubt there are a lot of factors to be addressed, and no one event is going to prove or disprove the case for or against gun control.

The "child" should have been arrested on numerous occasions, and would have had a criminal record, preventing him (supposedly) from purchasing a firearm.
        It seems like there are some police procedures that should be up for review: For example, why was it up to the parents of the kid he threatened to kill about whether or not he should be arrested? I wonder if those officers actions will be up for review and whether or not they face liability.

It was the "keep them in the schoolroom, not in the courtroom" liberal philosophy that kept him from having a criminal record.
        I'm not sure that's a liberal philosophy. Sometimes you conservatives find something you don't like and slap "liberal" on it as a descriptor. I imagine there are plenty of conservative mental health and education professionals who believe that the best thing to do with kids is keep them in class.

Rather than have "armed teachers", the liberals insist on "armed officers" - this school had at least one, and he hid.
        The thing that jumps out to me is how much human error was involved here and how it all converged at this one point in time. Liberals think you make up for human error problem with no guns. Conservatives think you can make up for human error with more guns.

It's still problematic for the "arm the teachers" side: there's no guarantee that armed teachers would have been more effective than this guard. We hedge our bets having more people carrying guns, but now you have to pray that the system--itself prone to more human error--that designates who carries what guns doesn't go awry, that the people selected are reliable and won't make mistakes like the police or lose heart like the guard.

The teacher/coach who TRIED to intervene was unarmed, and died trying to save the kids.
        That filthy liberal teacher was a real hero.

fwiw,

guacamole
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Ok, so...serious question.

A spree shooter walks into a school and starts shooting. How do you stop him without armed resistance?
          He waits for the faculty to get their weapons from the gun locker and then they have a shoot out.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

I'm telling you, man...A(ssault)R(ifle)-15. It's so obvious, it's even there in the name!
            You are just like JimL. Except he is completely serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              There are no doubt there are a lot of factors to be addressed, and no one event is going to prove or disprove the case for or against gun control.
              But liberals will "never let a good crisis go to waste".

It seems like there are some police procedures that should be up for review: For example, why was it up to the parents of the kid he threatened to kill about whether or not he should be arrested? I wonder if those officers actions will be up for review and whether or not they face liability.
              Police enforce laws, they do not make policy.

I'm not sure that's a liberal philosophy. Sometimes you conservatives find something you don't like and slap "liberal" on it as a descriptor. I imagine there are plenty of conservative mental health and education professionals who believe that the best thing to do with kids is keep them in class.
              I seriously doubt you'll find any conservative who agrees to let criminal behavior continue just to "keep a kid in school", especially when it's clear that kid is a major source of trouble for others.

The thing that jumps out to me is how much human error was involved here and how it all converged at this one point in time. Liberals think you make up for human error problem with no guns. Conservatives think you can make up for human error with more guns.
              There were multiple failures, and each should be considered.

It's still problematic for the "arm the teachers" side: there's no guarantee that armed teachers would have been more effective than this guard.
              There are few guarantees in life - we don't "not do something" because there's no guarantee it will work. At least, I don't.

We hedge our bets having more people carrying guns, but now you have to pray that the system--itself prone to more human error--that designates who carries what guns doesn't go awry, that the people selected are reliable and won't make mistakes like the police or lose heart like the guard.
              Or, just keep it a gunfree zone which equates all too often to a "killing field". Yeah, that's a lot better!

That filthy liberal teacher was a real hero.

fwiw,

guacamole
              How do you know what that teacher's political leanings are? That's a bit drama-queenish of you. After all, he was interested in becoming a police officer.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                To paraphrase Mr. T... I pity the fool army stuck going to war armed with AR-15s.

A pundit I saw the other night kept insisting on them as "weapons of war"
                I wonder if he was thinking of the M14, rather than the M16. All the M16 is, is a modified AR-15.

Comment

shh it stands for Assault Rifle, everybody knows that
                  It stands for assault, it stands for assault rifle, it stands for assault rifle, it stands for Armalite assault rifle....
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How do you know what that teacher's political leanings are? That's a bit drama-queenish of you. After all, he was interested in becoming a police officer.
                    Reviewing his Facebook, it appears he was a pretty heavy gun guy, and decidedly conservative.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I saw a graphic the other day that claimed that 92% of mass shooting have taken place in gun free zones.
                      It all depends on how you define "gun free zone", but by any sensible definition, there's no denying the fact that they are magnets for psychopaths.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        This is why conservatives get angry at the liberals when it comes to gun control. They pontificate on guns while knowing absolutely nothing about them.

Listen to this:

"The AR-15 is more lethal than the M-16 and the pentagon wanted to use it in Vietnam instead of the M-16"
                        I don't think they care. They'll say whatever is necessary to stoke the fires of the gun-grabbing ideologues, even if it means telling bald-faced lies.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          I wonder if he was thinking of the M14, rather than the M16. All the M16 is, is a modified AR-15.
                          The M14 was problematic, being wildly inaccurate.

The difference between an M16 and an AR-15, of course, is that...

The M16 has "selective fire" - it can be set to fire 'single shot' (semi-automatic) or fully automatic or "3 round bursts".
                          The AR-15 can only fire single shot (semi-automatic) as fast as you can pull the trigger.

(not assuming Adrift doesn't know this, but others seem to be really ignorant of this)

The "selective fire", or fully automatic mode, is what makes it an "assault rifle".

(yeah, I know - some of us disagree on the term "assault rifle" as opposed to "assault weapon")

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                            That's a problem with the armed security solution. Their competence or resolve can't be tested until it's too late.
                            Nothing will be 100% effective. Gun grabbers are willing to reduce shooting deaths by taking guns, but one failure of one armed guard and you want to throw out the whole idea.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Reviewing his Facebook, it appears he was a pretty heavy gun guy, and decidedly conservative.
                              I would have suspected so. I think quac was assuming I would think he was a liberal because he was a "teacher" -- I've already pointed out that I know quite a number of conservative teachers, and the superintendent of our schools is a very conservative African-American who is my substitute preacher!

So, if this particular coach/teacher were armed -- I'd bet he's quite familiar with firearms safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                As the saying goes, "Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

We may as well add to that: "And they won't necessarily do their job when they arrive."

The actual job of the police is not to prevent every crime. There job is to mop up afterwards.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment